• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New Red-Box...

Scribble

First Post
So in Ampersand he talks about the new essentials stuff, and there is a pic that shows the new basic set... If that is really the front cover it's really reminicent in my opinion of the oldschool boxed sets.

Redbox!

Scribble

First Post
BETTER DEAD THAN R-- actually, that looks pretty good, but it vaguely annoys me that they're starting newbies off with brand new build options rather than the tried & true stuff we've all spent our time play-testing.

Cheers, -- N

At first I thought it WAS an old picture of the old redbox, but then I saw the picture is different and it says essentials and has the WoTC logo...

As for the new builds... doesn't bother me. They come out with new builds all the time, an d it's only 2 levels anyway.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
It tells me I have to subscribe to see the rest of the article.

I'm guessing the picture you guys are talking about is the part I can't see.:.-(

Scribble

First Post
It tells me I have to subscribe to see the rest of the article.

I'm guessing the picture you guys are talking about is the part I can't see.:.-(

384_ampersand_2.jpg

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Sweet, thanks!

I agree it really hearkens back to the old red box style. I'll probably get it just to go with my original boxed sets.

Rechan

Adventurer
I'm still wondering how this is going to be marketed. If the goal is to get it in the hands of brand new gamers, they need to put it in places OTHER than gaming stores.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I think this is a great looking product, with a fun nod to nostalgia, but I wonder who's the target market. Just about anyone who would get the reference to the old product is already aware of 4E, and either plays it or has rejected it in favor of another system. For a newbie, I wonder if this is the best way to present the material at the moment. Is this really a product that will be attractive to your market of new gamers?

I don't want to be negative, especially because this looks great, but I wonder if it isn't nostalgia at work. Thoughts?

Remove ads