The Night of the Doctor - new mini Doctor Who episode.

Janx

Hero
And, the reason the numbering is an issue is that the canon says that a Time Lord gets 12 regenerations, and so 13 incarnations. Inserting Hurt means that the guy stepping in after Matt Smith leaves will be the "last" Doctor.

What it actually means is that, somewhere in his tenure, the new guy will have to find an excuse for more regenerations, which can be a cool story. :)

Yes and Yes.

I never assumed the 12 regen limit was something they'd stick to, more like something the writers declared in the old series when they thought they'd never hit the limit (kind of like using 2 digits to store the year in a database).

As such, now that the 12 regen limit is looming, if Dr. Who is popular, they'll come up with a way to bypass it. if it is waning, they'll use it as a way to finally end the series. (until 10 years later, when somebody tries to revamp/reboot Dr. Who)

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
What it actually means is that, somewhere in his tenure, the new guy will have to find an excuse for more regenerations, which can be a cool story. :)
We had a thread with a lot of excuses why some of the regens don't count. 3 into three was forced with no death 3 into 4 was dead and not regening needing a 'kick start' from another time lord. I can't remember witch one but one of them bonded with another thing called the watcher. eccleston into tenet just absorbed all the energy of 'time god' rose but wouldn't have died other wise. So any of them can be called a 'free change' if they wanted to, now this one includes a new potion added in. my pet theory is still with no other timelords the regen energy is way easier to get any he has an almost unlimted number of lives now.

Janx

Hero
Don't worry about the Valeyard. It's random speculation, but it's wrong.

John Hurt is in the trailers you've seen in the other thread. He's the older actor with the goatee. The fuzzy image in the mirror is some clever insertion of a young John Hurt using, presumably, some footage from one of his movies. He (to our knowledge) is only in one episode - the upcoming 50th Anniversary Special - and this minosode reveals what most people guessed: he's an incarnation of the Doctor between Paul McGann (8th) and Eccleston (9th). The end of the last series had him feature very briefly, with Matt Smith (11th) shunning him for acts as yet unknown, but which we assume were what ended the Time War in genocide. From the sounds of what Matt Smith's Doctor said, and now confirmed by this minsode, John Hurt doesn't take the name of the Doctor. So Tennant and Smith are still the 10th and 11th Doctors, although not the 10th and 11th incarnation of the person himself.

Asside from not knowing WHEN Hurt effectively kicked into the series, I'd gathered the rest. Hurt's the incarnation that put the hurt on in the timewar. Call him Doctor Hurt. :)

What's starting to get more clear, is that this 50th anniversary episode is going to feature Hurt. Having not known the plans for the episode, I assumed the regular series would introduce Hurt as a character alongside the current doctor.

Though it's also not clear when Matt Smith steps out and the new guy who's name I forget but he helped with some recent zombie war as a cleverly named W.H.O. Doctor.

given that we lag in the US, my assumption now is:

50th Anniversay episode features Hurt, and maybe a few remaining doctor actors (or not) as an homage to their work (or CGI trick like we saw with the current companion girl with the old doctors)

Then the next season we haven't seen starts with matt Smith, and somewhere along the line, the new guy switches in.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What's starting to get more clear, is that this 50th anniversary episode is going to feature Hurt. Having not known the plans for the episode, I assumed the regular series would introduce Hurt as a character alongside the current doctor.

Yeah, he's in the trailers for it. I think that's pretty much a giveaway!

Though it's also not clear when Matt Smith steps out and the new guy who's name I forget but he helped with some recent zombie war as a cleverly named W.H.O. Doctor.

Peter Capaldi. Christmas Special this year (on XMas Day).

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
They are showing the Day of the Doctor on the big screen here. Sure, it is also on the small screen but it would be cool to see it in the theater.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They are showing the Day of the Doctor on the big screen here. Sure, it is also on the small screen but it would be cool to see it in the theater.

Yup! We have tickets to see it in the cinema on the 23rd. Can. Not. Wait!

And the day before we're going to the 50th Anniversary Celebration at the Excel. It'll be a good couple of days all in all! And it's all just a week away now!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We had a thread with a lot of excuses why some of the regens don't count.

I know. But passing it by with just a reference to a past event is lame. They have a chance to do a story, possibly an epic one, and I think the producers would be pretty dumb to pass it up.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
There's definitely room for a whole load of "McGann saves people during the Time War" minisodes if they every felt like making them.

I'd watch those. Repeatedly and with great joy. I just downloaded several of the Big Finish audios of McGann's Doctor on the strength of this minisode alone.

Remove ads