D&D 5E The Oathbreaker

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
So playing with ideas for the Oathbreaker. Variant human. Starting at 1st. Looking at the feats including in UA that are likely to be in TCOE and be mainstream legal. My thought was to get some spells that are unusual for the Paladin. I can also see a lot of potential in the Metamagic Adept. Anyone have experience playing the Oathbreaker? I always liked the idea of the blackguard. Any build recommendations?

Door open. 'Ah, whirlwind it's you. Do come in.'

JediMafia

First Post
I'll tell you about a character a played a few years back. He was The Green Knight. 2 levels in paladin, a 1 level dip in Hexblade, and the rest in Oathbreaker paladin. The story was meant to be a bastardization of the King Arthur tale. Instead of the lady in the lake presenting a young squire with Excalibur giving him the power to become the mighty King Arthur, he had a creature in a bog present him with the Hexblade and turn him into the Green Knight. I picked up proficiency in painter's tools, I think from the Folk Hero background, and became a kind of vigilante who would paint his symbol on his victims, on the door of the thieves guild, etc. Picked up Ritual Caster and a bunch of those nature spells to fulfill the character vision. Also picked up Inspiring Leader early on. Oathbreaker was a cool subclass, especially with the ability to get an undead squire and that level 7 aura is pretty rad. I liked that it was powerful enough (especially with my Hexblade dip) that I didn't have to worry about optimization and could pick up spells and feats with more flavor.

Hex.

Either Via Metamagic Adept: Warlock (plus Eldritch Blast, Chill Touch or Toll the Dead cantrips)

Or Fey Touched (Tasha's). Which also gives you +1 CHA, Misty Step and lets you cast them with your paladin slots.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Thanks. By the 150 views and no replies, I take it not many have been the Oathbreaker in play. Lots of good stuff in TCOE. The rule in our game is that if new stuff is errata'd or released in a new book, we use it beginning with the next new campaign/character so the timing is good.

BacchusNL

Explorer
Thanks. By the 150 views and no replies, I take it not many have been the Oathbreaker in play. Lots of good stuff in TCOE. The rule in our game is that if new stuff is errata'd or released in a new book, we use it beginning with the next new campaign/character so the timing is good.
I Never looked into Oathbreaker much but I really like @Paul Farquhar 's suggestion with Fey Touched, esspecialy if you can get 17 Cha initially. Getting those spells on top of your normal level 4 stat-bump is nice. That wouldn't fit into a human variant build if you want 16 str aswell though. Half Elf or other +2+1 races could make it fit. Satyr and Yuan-Ti would be some of the more powerful options.

Last edited:

Remove ads