• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The official 2015 Doctor Who (with spoilers for aired episodes only) thread

delericho

Legend
Eliminating himself and getting a 'master reset' was part of the requirement for getting out, as he already knew that it would take a ridiculously long time to effect his escape. He likely could have come up with a different way to power the teleport but given a finite area to work on it wouldn't matter if he'd had 2 Doctors, 20 Doctors, or an infinite number of doctors; they could only be so effective.

Two Doctors would definitely help - one to distract the monster and one to work on the problem.

But my big problem is that he didn't even try reprogramming the teleporter to take him back, but instead seemed determined to use the least efficient solution possible. Seriously, he decided to punch through a stronger-than-diamond wall at a rate of four punches every few days? At the very least, he should have used the shovel.

Ryujin

Legend
Two Doctors would definitely help - one to distract the monster and one to work on the problem.

But my big problem is that he didn't even try reprogramming the teleporter to take him back, but instead seemed determined to use the least efficient solution possible. Seriously, he decided to punch through a stronger-than-diamond wall at a rate of four punches every few days? At the very least, he should have used the shovel.

But that would likely only buy you one pass through the loop, when you need a Google Plex.

Presumably it was the only way that he could work things. At any rate a punch is more dramatic than a shovel smack. Besides, it started out as four punches. In a hundred thousand years it's 5. Then 6.....

delericho

Legend
But that would likely only buy you one pass through the loop, when you need a Google Plex.

It also buys thinking time, meaning that one might well be enough.

Presumably it was the only way that he could work things. At any rate a punch is more dramatic than a shovel smack. Besides, it started out as four punches. In a hundred thousand years it's 5. Then 6.....

Oh, well, that's alright then. :)

Ryujin

Legend
It also buys thinking time, meaning that one might well be enough.

Oh, well, that's alright then. :)

I'm not going to second guess the 5 billion year old man on his decision, since it worked ;)

Given dynamite, a jack hammer, or his fists I could see The Doctor still using his fists, if only to make a statement.

delericho

Legend
I'm not going to second guess the 5 billion year old man on his decision, since it worked ;)

Conversely, I'm more than happy to second guess a 54-year-old writer who appears to be making the rules up as he goes along. I'm just waiting for the day he has the Doctor literally handwave a problem away.

Bagpuss

Legend
So enough of the time issues.

What about the Doctor's closing lines, about him being the hybrid?

Have they just confirmed the 1996 TV Movie line that the Doctor is half-human, half-timelord? Two warrior races.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What about the Doctor's closing lines, about him being the hybrid?

Have they just confirmed the 1996 TV Movie line that the Doctor is half-human, half-timelord? Two warrior races.

That's what they want you to think. He says, "The Hybrid destined to conquer Gallifrey and stand in its ruins is me,"" Right?

But, haven't they already devoted several episodes (including the one just previous) developing a character who refers to herself as "Me", because she lived so long she's forgotten her original name? They did some nice stunt-casting I suspect specifically so the audience would be very interested in this character.

I think, at the end of her first episode, he even refers to the fact that she's now a hybrid, being human with alien technology.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ooh. Just saw some encouraging things about the Christmas special!

I do not want to spoil anything for others, but... coolness!

I don't think so - he notes in the episode that he could lure the creature to one end of the castle and then run to the other, thus gaining 82 minutes, but he only needs a confession when he gets cornered by it. Otherwise, he can just run away again.

One thing that's interesting is that he also doesn't seem to need a new confession each time - the monster seems to be satisfied by him repeating himself each time through the loop.
How does the monster know he's making a true confession? I think the reason for that would be that it's psychic in some way, and can register how he feels about a confession - is it a true one, is it a new revelation? And since for each iteration, it is a new and truthful confession for the Doctor, the monster registers it as such, too.
An unfortunate limitation, I suppose. It could be that's the case because the confession dial doesn't actually know who will end up in it and has to reset at each teleport-in. (Which should only happen only once anyway.) And the machine might also need to have the ability to "teach" its victim that confessions are needed, otherwise they might die not knowing how it works, never revealing anything useful.

If the limitation didn't exist, of course, the second iteration would already spell the Doctor's doom, since he might not come up with a new confession in time.

Remove ads