The official 2015 Doctor Who (with spoilers for aired episodes only) thread

MarkB

Legend
I just rewatched Missy's 'death scene' at the hands of Lethbridge Stuart Cyberman last night. The look on the Doctor's face clearly said, "Oh no, she got away again."

Everyone is talking about a cloaked Skaro. That wasn't my take-away from the episode. I saw a bunch of projections or illusions, so that's what I figured the deaths and destruction of the TARDIS were also. I could be wrong and we could end up seeing the Doctor running around and rewriting time from his own timeline, which he isn't supposed to do (but does anyway).

If it was an illusion of Missy and Clara finding a cloaked Skaro and then getting exterminated, the question is why? As psychological torture for the Doctor it's over-elaborate - simply having Missy and Clara finding the TARDIS in another room on the station, followed by their deaths, would have been no less effective.

Until we're shown a reason for Davros to be lying about having gone home to Skaro, there's no reason not to take that part of the story at face value.

Ryujin

Legend
If it was an illusion of Missy and Clara finding a cloaked Skaro and then getting exterminated, the question is why? As psychological torture for the Doctor it's over-elaborate - simply having Missy and Clara finding the TARDIS in another room on the station, followed by their deaths, would have been no less effective.

Until we're shown a reason for Davros to be lying about having gone home to Skaro, there's no reason not to take that part of the story at face value.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that it's really a rebuilt Skaro. As to the rest it's Steven Moffat and Davros. There is no such thing as "over-elaborate."

Janx

Hero
I just rewatched Missy's 'death scene' at the hands of Lethbridge Stuart Cyberman last night. The look on the Doctor's face clearly said, "Oh no, she got away again."

Everyone is talking about a cloaked Skaro. That wasn't my take-away from the episode. I saw a bunch of projections or illusions, so that's what I figured the deaths and destruction of the TARDIS were also. I could be wrong and we could end up seeing the Doctor running around and rewriting time from his own timeline, which he isn't supposed to do (but does anyway).

I guess so.

The problem is, I thought the Master died way back under a previous doctor, when he took over earth and made everybody look like him. It's hard to remember, but these guys keep on dying and coming back.

Maybe it would help if they would stop killing people off, then they wouldn't have these quirks when they bring them back on the show.

MarkB

Legend
I guess so.

The problem is, I thought the Master died way back under a previous doctor, when he took over earth and made everybody look like him. It's hard to remember, but these guys keep on dying and coming back.

The Master sacrificed himself to save the Doctor at the end of The End of Time and was drawn into the Gallifrey timelock along with Rassilon and his supporters. Honestly, if anything, that makes his unexplained return last season more problematic than if he had 'only' died.

Ryujin

Legend
The Master sacrificed himself to save the Doctor at the end of The End of Time and was drawn into the Gallifrey timelock along with Rassilon and his supporters. Honestly, if anything, that makes his unexplained return last season more problematic than if he had 'only' died.

Yup, it implies that he knows where Gallifrey is, despite her misdirection last season. It also makes you wonder if Gallifrey is still in one piece, in the time lock.

HobbitFan

Explorer
Something else I'm not sure about is the plausibility of the "UNIT running a computer search to find the Doctor" scene. It assumes two things: 1. That he's in earth's past and that 2. that there was a record made of Doctor showing up and doing something.
Those are some pretty big assumptions when you think about it.

Something else I'm not sure about is the plausibility of the "UNIT running a computer search to find the Doctor" scene. It assumes two things: 1. That he's in earth's past and that 2. that there was a record made of Doctor showing up and doing something.

Well,considering how many times he's shown up in Earth's Past, also they were IIRC looking for events in which it was likely that he would be there for.....

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

it's been established that there are dedicated websites of Tardis watchers and also that UNIT has dedicated software that does nothing but scan for Doctor sightings. I suspect UNIT routinely scans for anachronisms and other anomalies just in case it has to investigate.

and considering that UNIT has access to computer systems as advanced as Mr Smith I'm willing to suspend logic with regards to Googling the Doctor

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
it's been established that their are dedicated websites of Tardis watchers and also that UNIT has dedicated software that does nothing but scan for Doctor sightings. I suspect UNIT routinely scans for anachronisms and other anomalies just in case it has to investigate.

and considering that UNIT has access to computer systems as advanced as Mr Smith I'm willing to suspend logic with regards to Googling the Doctor

The really sad part, from the Doctor's perspective, is that they could only find one single event in Earth's history where the Doctor showed up and there wasn't a crisis.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The really sad part, from the Doctor's perspective, is that they could only find one single event in Earth's history where the Doctor showed up and there wasn't a crisis.

They could only find "loud" events where he made his presence well-known so that it got well-documented. There would be thousands of times he's just hung out quietly and enjoyed himself. UNIT would never be able to find those.

Remove ads