• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The official 2015 Doctor Who (with spoilers for aired episodes only) thread

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This has nothing to do with the actress. She, herself, is doing an awesome job with what they are giving her. I very specifically want her to stay.

I am merely not so happy with what they are giving her to do.

Yeah, I get it. I just feel differently! I love what they're doing with her. I wasn't so much a fan of John Simm, though.

MarkB

Legend
SPOILERS for tonight's episode, in case anyone's still catching up...

I really enjoyed this episode. Up until now I was still ambivalent about Missy - she was a bit too manic, a bit too evil-just-because - but the pre-credits scene this week just completely sold me on her, and the rest of the episode didn't disappoint.

The whole bluff-and-double-bluff between Davros and the Doctor, the soul-baring on both sides, and on the other hand Missy's unique take on doing the normal Doctor-and-companion stuff was all very well done, and it wrapped up neatly with a small morality tale about mercy.

Oh, and one more thing:

Assuming that the HADS is still functional, that is one way the TARDIS could survive in the current episode.

Called it. :)

HobbitFan

Explorer
I'd call it half-good. All the character stuff with Clara, Doctor, Davros and the Mistress were great.
The "god from the Machine" ending with the dalek undead sludge was retarded. Mind-numbingly stupid.
I honestly don't know how to think about the episode as what I like I really liked but what I disliked I hated.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The "god from the Machine" ending with the dalek undead sludge was retarded. Mind-numbingly stupid.

Wow. Strong words. I'd be interested in hearing why you feel the plot of the episode was "retarded" and "mind-numbingly stupid". Are we even still using the word "retarded"?

I liked it. A lot. The longest conversation between The Doctor and Davros ever. I think the double episode was excellent - watching all that in a single seating will be a pleasure. Delightful leisurely paced.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I liked it, it was a great pay-off after last weeks build up and showcased all the main characters well. The Davros-Doctor dialogue was a masterwork and the Oswald Dalek callback was a fun nod, underlined by Missys ongoing meddling. I thought the rise of the dalek undead sludge was a good resolution of the dilemma and well within accepted Dalek canon. The show of mercy was a nice touch too

MarkB

Legend

A Deus Ex Machina resolution is one that is from factors external to the established plot. If Captain Jack Harkness had beamed in at the last moment with a spare set of time bracelets and said "Hello guys and girls, anyone want a ride?", that would have been a Deus Ex Machina.

The resolution to this episode arose naturally from the characters' actions and the previously-established facts. I certainly didn't anticipate it in advance, but the moment the Doctor began his countdown and I realised that he did, in fact, have a plan, my immediate thought was "ooh, the sewer-daleks!"

On another note, does anyone else think that this isn't the last we've heard of "the Hybrid"? Davros assumed that the ancient Time Lord legend of two warrior races brought together to create a third, even stronger one must refer to the Time Lords and the Daleks, but I'm guessing there may actually be different candidates involved.

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a running theme for this season.

A Deus Ex Machina resolution is one that is from factors external to the established plot. If Captain Jack Harkness had beamed in at the last moment with a spare set of time bracelets and said "Hello guys and girls, anyone want a ride?", that would have been a Deus Ex Machina.

The resolution to this episode arose naturally from the characters' actions and the previously-established facts. I certainly didn't anticipate it in advance, but the moment the Doctor began his countdown and I realised that he did, in fact, have a plan, my immediate thought was "ooh, the sewer-daleks!"

On another note, does anyone else think that this isn't the last we've heard of "the Hybrid"? Davros assumed that the ancient Time Lord legend of two warrior races brought together to create a third, even stronger one must refer to the Time Lords and the Daleks, but I'm guessing there may actually be different candidates involved.

My first thought was maybe this is how they explain the Valeyard. But that might be too much of a stretch.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

I thought we already had the Hybrid in the human daleks - which could be where they're going with the Clara Dalek thing and I wonder if thats Missys very clever idea

besides which did anything happen with the Doctor being half-human thing?

HobbitFan

Explorer
A couple things:
1. MarkB is right. I used the "god from the Machine" phrase incorrectly. My goof.
2. I should not have been so colorful in my earlier post. I should have said something more along the lines of not liking the idea of the sludge daleks and finding the ending weak.
Anything beyond that was just hyperbola.

I think you guys are right about Davros' hybrid comments and the guess about why the doctor left Gallifrey will probably come back up later this season. Those lines felt like Moffat setting soemthing up.

Remove ads