• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The official 2015 Doctor Who (with spoilers for aired episodes only) thread

Richards

Legend
After Missy started stabbing the dalek in the sewers with the brooch she got from the Doctor "upon the birth of her daughter," it got me to thinking: what if this isn't the first time the Master/Missy has been female? What if, back in the First Doctor days (before the televised episodes, when Hartnell's Doctor wasn't an old man yet), an earlier female version of Missy was the Doctor's first wife? That would make her Susan's grandmother. It would also give an even stronger reason why the Doctor would send Missy his confession disk, and could explain why he's had a soft spot for the Master/Missy over the years. (He's gone out of his way to save the Master/Missy's life even after the Master/Missy has tried killing him.)

Just a thought.

Johnathan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It occurs to me that the shields on Davros' chair are stronger than the TARDIS shields!

I loved the chair joke, by the way

I was worried Missy was mellowing. Nah, she's still evil!

Bagpuss

Legend
It occurs to me that the shields on Davros' chair are stronger than the TARDIS shields!

Not really the Tardis shields could deal with normal Dalek blasters even when it was dematerialised from whatever weapon they tried to destroy it with before.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not really the Tardis shields could deal with normal Dalek blasters even when it was dematerialised from whatever weapon they tried to destroy it with before.

I'm trying, but I can't parse that sentence into anything! Could you rephrase it?

Staffan

Legend
I'm trying, but I can't parse that sentence into anything! Could you rephrase it?

Bunch of regular Daleks fired on the TARDIS, which its shields could handle without trouble. They brought in a special weapon, and in order to deal with that it dispersed. Even in its dispersed state, it could maintain shields around the Doctor and Clara that could handle regular Dalek blasters.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Bunch of regular Daleks fired on the TARDIS, which its shields could handle without trouble. They brought in a special weapon, and in order to deal with that it dispersed.

I don't recall two stages to the attack. All the Daleks in the room fired at it; it had to disperse to survive. All the same Daleks in the same room fired at Davros' chair, which shrugged it off.

MarkB

Legend
I don't recall two stages to the attack. All the Daleks in the room fired at it; it had to disperse to survive. All the same Daleks in the same room fired at Davros' chair, which shrugged it off.

And then at the end, the Daleks all fired at the Doctor and Clara, and the dispersed TARDIS's shields shrugged it off.

I suspect that even the combined firepower of all those Daleks, even including the Special Weapons Dalek, wasn't actually enough to penetrate the TARDIS's shields, at least not without a sustained barrage. The reason it dispersed was so that they wouldn't try again with more firepower.

delericho

Legend

Are they more powerful, or are they just tuned to defend against that specific attack, though? After all, Davros is the expert on the technology the Daleks use, and he's been attacked by his creation before.

Bagpuss

Legend
I don't recall two stages to the attack. All the Daleks in the room fired at it; it had to disperse to survive.

All the Daleks didn't fire at the TARDIS, only a special ceiling mounted weapon that did a sustained beam.

TARDIS.jpg

MarkB

Legend
All the Daleks didn't fire at the TARDIS, only a special ceiling mounted weapon that did a sustained beam.

Good spot. I was sure I remembered the Daleks using their combined firepower on the TARDIS, but a quick iPlayer recap set me straight.

So, I guess we don't actually know which is more powerful.

Remove ads