• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The official 2015 Doctor Who (with spoilers for aired episodes only) thread

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And yet you told me to "stop thread crapping".

Sabrina, don't be a jerk please. There is nothing for you to win here. Negative comments are fine; it's just the same thing repeated over and over in every thread about the subject that constitutes threadcrapping. I don't want to have to keep talking about this with you. If you have any issues with it (which clearly you do, since you're bringing it up), take it to PM or email, please.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Well, they're certainly liking the two-parters this season.

I'm not quite convinced that this story has enough plot to justify that, and I wish the supporting cast were doing a better job of making me care about them, but it was reasonably entertaining nevertheless.

I like the return to more two-part stories. I didn't mind the season opener, but I'm an old school Whovian who remembers the days when sometimes they'd have an entire episode just setting up and teasing the eventual reveal.
My favourite was the Dalek invasion of Earth storyline, where the entire first episode was everyone wandering the London waterfront wondering about the roboman and such, and where everyone was. And then, suddenly, at the end a Dalek rolls out of the Thames and it's all WFT?!?

The ending on the ghost episode was kinda dramatic too. But the second episode seems like it will feel different, rather than being the second half of one long story. Which might be interesting.

HobbitFan

Explorer
I liked the first part. How to judge the story overall will largely depend upon how they resolve things in part 2.
I liked that it was a classic base under siege situation.
Very much style over substance so far though...there isn't that much to the story and the characters are pretty thin.
I enjoyed myself and look forward to seeing how they explain things.

Well, they're certainly liking the two-parters this season.

I'm not quite convinced that this story has enough plot to justify that, and I wish the supporting cast were doing a better job of making me care about them, but it was reasonably entertaining nevertheless.

Whether it has enough plot, I think we'll only see when the next episode comes out (to me it seems like it does because there is a whole backstory to the events to explore, and I find myself wanting to know those details). For me though, I don't even care, I'm just glad to have two parters again. I think the show really shines on the two parters, it just has more room to breath. I've never really liked too much efficiency in my entertainment, and I feel sticking soley to the 45 minute structure made even great stories feel rushed at times.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've found that the second part of a two parter almost always makes the first part better.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Setup always appears somewhat lacklustre, until you get the pay-off. Even in the best of shows.
Really? I always found it was the exact opposite: the set up is usually great, and then the resolution is cheap. At least with most shows. Doctor Who was normally the exception. But looking at things like NextGen, Forever Knight, and even the rare B5 two parter, the first episode was always better than the second one.

Remove ads