• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The oldest (druid) question in the book...

cwhs01

First Post
wildshaping...
I know it is probably the single most asked about question in the history of DND. In the top 100 list at least.

Anyways...

What does a Druid gain by wildshaping? What features are replaced, what is modified and what is ignored when adopting the new form. If someone could perhaps explain this both in words and a wildshaped druid statblock thingie i'd be grateful.

As an example, what would happen to the naked lvl 8 human druid (bab+6/+1), 40 hp, with no apropriate feats, and an 11 in all stats, if he wildshaped into brown bear form?

Or point me to the relevant thread if this has allready been answered.

I thank you in advance for bringing enlightenment to this troubled mind:)

Thanee

First Post
And the statblock:

8th-level Druid wildshaped into a Brown Bear
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 6d8+24 (51 hp) 8d8+32 (72 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+16 +6/+18
Attack: Claw +11 +13 melee (1d8+8)
Full Attack: 2 claws +11 +13 melee (1d8+8) and bite +6 +8 melee (2d6+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab + (most of the druid's special attacks, see Alter Self)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent + (most of the druid's special qualities, see Alter Self)
Saves: Fort +9 +10, Ref +6 +3, Will +3 +6
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 2 11, Wis 12 11, Cha 6 11
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +7, Swim +12 (the druid's skills, modified appropriately for the new ability scores)
Feats: Endurance, Run, Track (the druid's feats)

Bye
Thanee

glass

(he, him)
Thanee said:
Check these out. :)

No, don't! :D

Seriously, the RotG articles and FAQs are more like Andy & Skip's houserule documents than anything to do with the actual rules of the game.

As to what you gain and lose, that a lot of stuff. What exactly is it that you are not sure about? I'd like to help, but your question is so broad that any answer would just be typing out the ability description (and the polymorph spell description on which it is based).

EDIT: Damn, too slow.

glass.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
A couple of points:

Thanee said:
Hit Dice: 6d8+24 (51 hp) 8d8+32 (72 hp)

Opinion is divided on this. IMO, this should read (the druids hp) at the end.

Feats: Endurance, Run, Track (the druid's feats)

Minus any specific racial bonus feats the druid has. And if the bear had any racial bonus feats (which it doesn't) those would be gained too by the bear shaped druid.

glass.

Thanee

First Post
I'm going by the official clarifications (and the FAQ and also the RotG articles are exactly that).

I would also prefer, if they listed all changes (I also consider the hp to be a change from the core rules) in the errata files, but well... they (WotC) chose a different option.

You're right with the feats, tho. Any racial feats would be lost/obtained. :)

Bye
Thanee

glass

(he, him)
Thanee said:
I'm going by the official clarifications (and the FAQ and also the RotG articles are exactly that).

I would also prefer, if they listed all changes (I also consider the hp to be a change from the core rules) in the errata files, but well... they (WotC) chose a different option.

But the FAQ and random articles on Wizards' web site can't change the rules. If the RotG article contradicts the PHB (and you apparently concede that it does), the article is wrong. :\

You're right with the feats, tho. Any racial feats would be lost/obtained. :)

Out of curiosity, what do you think about a human's (non-specific) bonus feat? Does he lose that? And if so, how do you know which one is the bonus? :confused:

glass.

Thanee

First Post
glass said:
But the FAQ and random articles on Wizards' web site can't change the rules. If the RotG article contradicts the PHB (and you apparently concede that it does), the article is wrong. :\

Well, WotC surely has chosen a less than optimal way to update their rules there, but we just have to live with that. I at least consider both the FAQ and the RotG articles as RAW, much like the errata. I'm pretty sure WotC does so as well. ;)

I don't agree with everything they say and I also don't agree with everything written in the book, but I just house rule what I do not like then. :)

Out of curiosity, what do you think about a human's (non-specific) bonus feat? Does he lose that? And if so, how do you know which one is the bonus? :confused:

I would not let them lose that. The racial ability is to obtain the feat, not the feat itself.

Bye
Thanee

Li Shenron

Legend
glass said:

I would treat them differently. The human bonus feat doesn't really work like all racial bonus feats, which are (1) fixed for all members of the race, and (2) do not require to meet the prerequisites. Racial bonus feats are like birth talents, while the human bonus feats is more like something that humans learn like any other feat.

Remove ads