The Pumpkin Pie Spice RPG Contest Discussion Thread

How do you feel about pumpkin spice?

• Yes please.

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • No thank you.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • It's a seasonal treat. Why all the fuss?

Votes: 14 38.9%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I find the idea of having pumpkin flavour in anything that is not an actual pumpkin or pumpkin cream soup quite weird. But then I'm not American, and I assume every culture needs to have a few things that are deeply confusing to the people outside it.
OK, prepare for a real crazy thing: pumpkin pie spice does not have any pumpkin whatsoever. It is a blend of normal spices that Americans traditionally use in pumpkin pies, but recently we discovered it really works in just about any dish.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I find the idea of having pumpkin flavour in anything that is not an actual pumpkin or pumpkin cream soup quite weird. But then I'm not American, and I assume every culture needs to have a few things that are deeply confusing to the people outside it.
So here is a picture showing what "pumpkin pie spice" consists of, and it works for a variety of sweet and savory applicafions:

PumpkinPieSPiceInfoGraphic_edited-1_resized-657x1080.jpg

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I have no problem with Pumpkin Spice in Coffee. My problem is with people who have Coffee outside of Stouts and Porters. Anyway, I put down a Yes (even if I usually only do it seasonally).

See cookie recipe (although it doesn't actually have the full spice it does have pumpkin) and beer list below.

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies

Cream, with an electric mixer -
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup softened margarine
1 egg
1 cup canned pumpkin

In a separate bowl combine -
2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt

Stir (with a spoon) the flour mixture into the creamed mixture

Stir in –
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts

Bake 12 – 15 minutes at 350 degrees on a greased cookie sheet. Makes about four dozen

My current pumpkin rankings, sorted within category by the beer advocate ratings (in parentheses) when available:

My Favorites (would order any time):
Cigar City Good Gourd (95/4.26)
Clown Shoes Gordo (91/4.14)
Southern Tier Warlock (89/3.99)
King Don's Pumpkin Ale by Catawba (86/3.83)
Thirsty Dog Pumpkin Ale (83/3.68)

Solid Pumpkin Choice:
Elysian Great Pumpkin (92/4.13)
Great Divide Pumpkin Spice Yeti (91/4.14)
Southern Tier Pumking (90/4.05)
Southern Tier Pumking Nitro (90/4.01)
Elysian Night Owl (88/3.95)
Rogue Pumpkin Patch Ale (87/3.85)
Sycamore Pumpkin Latte Blonde (87/3.83)
Voodoo Ranger Atomic Pumpkin by New Belgium (84/3.77)
Kentucky Pumpkin Barrel Ale (84/3.71)
Left Hand Brewing Pumpkin Spice Latte Nitro (83/3.60)
Sleepy Hollow Pumpkin Ale by Smokey Mountain Brewery (-/3.66)
Sugar Creek Pumpkin Blaster (-/-)

Drinkable:
Elysian Dark O' The Moon (88/3.94)
Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale (87/3.89)
UFO Journey to Planet Pumpkin! (82/3.6)
World Court Pumpkin Spice by Legal Remedy (-/-)
Steel Hands Pumpkin Spice Ale (-/-)

Pass:
Elysian Punkuccino (92/4.14)
Gordgeous by NoDa (88/3.94)
Dogfish Head Punkin Ale (88/3.92)
Samuel Adams Jack-O Pumpkin Ale (74/3.20)
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale (70/3.02)

No Rating (IPAs, Sours, and super Hi-Grav):
Kickin' Knowledge Milkshake Pumpkin by Barrier Brewing (91/4.17) <- was expecting a stout... I need to read cans better!
Avery Brewing Rumpkin (91/4.08) <- wow that's boozy
Pumpkin Kerfuffle by Prairie Artisan Ales (89/4.03) <- reminded me of a cider

Last edited:

OK, prepare for a real crazy thing: pumpkin pie spice does not have any pumpkin whatsoever. It is a blend of normal spices that Americans traditionally use in pumpkin pies, but recently we discovered it really works in just about any dish.
That is, indeed, even weirder! 😄
But thanks! I appreciate the clarification.

Also, I have no good ideas on what RPG content to do, but I hope some of you already have an idea for a Dune hack subtitled "The pumpkin spice must flow!" ;)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
You have a problem with people who have coffee outside the context of beer?

Yes, Coffee seems a strange, bizarre, and addictive beverage choice. (I might also be bitter about the fact it seems to upset my stomach when I try just having a cup of it and about how those who like specialty coffees bog down lines at places I would like to order food).

It certainly is weird that most of the world now immediately asks visitors if they would like to consume an addictive substance upon arrival.

When you consider how much of First World culture used to be based on smoking stuff constantly, coffee/tea is at least a step in the right direction. Less addictive, easier to say no to, and much less toxic (arguably, there are even minor health benefits under the right circumstances).

Remove ads