The Purpose of the + in Thread Titles

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I get the initial need for + threads but im seeing annoying trends.
  • "X is stupid garbage butt gross and this is a + thread so you cant say it isnt".
  • "I want to talk about W,X,Y, and Z, but only in A,B,C, and D ways..."
So, if I see any of the above I just unwatch.
This is why I really like the existence of the + tag, because it saves a lot of time.

If I don't agree with the premise, I'm not going to participate.

As has been said before, I could always start my own thread with a different idea.

Personally I really like the option of posting a + thread because sometimes I want to post a crazy house rule or idea and know it's not going to be immediately shot down. Sometimes I want to build up ideas instead of taking them apart.

MGibster

Legend
Thank you moderators, you've made it very clear on what a + thread is. Feel free to close this thread unless you think anyone else has something productive to add.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
This is why I really like the existence of the + tag, because it saves a lot of time.

If I don't agree with the premise, I'm not going to participate.

As has been said before, I could always start my own thread with a different idea.

Personally I really like the option of posting a + thread because sometimes I want to post a crazy house rule or idea and know it's not going to be immediately shot down. Sometimes I want to build up ideas instead of taking them apart.
Thats fine, I just find it annoying if you want to crap freely on something which seems against the spirit of the idea.

I feel like many things, there can be positive +threads and terribly constructed +threads. So it is a useful tool, but it can also be used in a divisive way. The thread in question, I feel, did not showcase the +thread well.
Like @BookTenTiger mentions it generally saves a lot of time and can help the OP distil the information they seek.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Id rather the community be able to discuss topics genuinely and not have to have their echo corners. 🤷‍♂️

A single thread isn't an echo chamber -- that implies the non-existence of other threads. A whole forum might be described as such, but for a single thread the term makes no sense. You can always simply start a thread with an opposing premise, rendering the echo chamber non-existent.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Echo chambers are Bad Things, no matter what is being echoed.

But, not being able to say anything because there's a contingent that continues to shout "NO!" is also a bad thing. The shouts of "NO!" themselves produce an echoing effect.

There's a maxim that folks here do not seem to hold to: You do not need to attend every argument you are invited to.

Remove ads