The Purpose of the + in Thread Titles

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But you forget that echo corners are countered by the echo triangles.

Can we please refrain from torturing metaphors? This discussion needs less clever twisting of ideas, and more sincere desire to understand problems.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I agree; they should be given enhanced interrogations instead.

Mod Note:
Lack of ability to read the room, and requiring red text before you'll take a friendly suggestion, is part of the reason we need (+) threads occasionally.

This reads as a willful attempt to push buttons to aggravate people. Please put more thought into avoiding that going forward. Thanks.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I remember reading an article once defending the term "Preaching to the Choir." Sometimes you want to talk with like-minded folk about something you all agree about. I don't see that as a negative, I see that as simply a style of conversation.

Having + threads on a forum is, I feel, an especially healthy way to do this, because the forum itself prevents echo chambers. As long as a poster is not breaking the rules, they can start a new thread with a different perspective.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
The contention is that the ground rules are not always genuine, and thus not always productive.
This ceases to be an issue when you realize there is literally nothing stopping anyone from setting up a different conversation on the same topic but with more "genuine" ground rules (whatever that actually means, I'm guessing a veiled reference to that Mystara boondoggle)

Emoshin

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
The contention is that the ground rules are not always genuine, and thus not always productive.
But who objectively determines that?

What if there is disagreement if it's "genuine"?

Do you need a jury? A voting mechanism? How does that work in practical terms?

Remove ads