• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Real Reason(s) Behind the PDF Debacle

CardinalXimenes

First Post
The *right* way to do it would be to include a pdf download with the purchase of the book, know that you'll have the equivalent of "shrinkage" due to piracy, and continue to count your profits. The moment that you start deciding that maximizing profit means limiting your potential sales, you've already lost.
Okay. How? How do you arrange it so that purchasing a hardbound book gets you a free PDF without significant danger of that code getting ganked before you get to enter it? If you think this PDF fuss is a black eye for WotC, how do you think they'd look after the first few dozen customers start yelling about not getting the PDF they were promised as part of the sale? It's pure handwaving to simply say "include a pdf download with the purchase of the book" unless you can explain how to do that in a way that is not _guaranteed_ to infuriate a portion of the buyers.

Now, one can argue that WotC should simply accept the bad PR of customers who bought the book not getting their PDF. One can suggest that customer service resources be devoted to allowing customers to claim that a particular code was ganked, and get a free PDF. Ultimately, WotC decided that this was not worth the heartache compared to simply selling watermarked PDFs- and now that they've decided that selling watermarked PDFs is a mug's game, what has changed to make their original estimation wrong?

lrsach01

Explorer
Okay. How? How do you arrange it so that purchasing a hardbound book gets you a free PDF without significant danger of that code getting ganked before you get to enter it? If you think this PDF fuss is a black eye for WotC, how do you think they'd look after the first few dozen customers start yelling about not getting the PDF they were promised as part of the sale?

You can always do what Paizo does. They use a tiered subscription model and allow customers to download watermarked PDFs as soon as their books ship.

CardinalXimenes

First Post
You can always do what Paizo does. They use a tiered subscription model and allow customers to download watermarked PDFs as soon as their books ship.
But WotC's already made clear that they're not interested in providing zero-hour PDFs that can be de-watermarked before the first box of hardbounds have come off the UPS truck. This model would functionally replicate the exact same system they've just discarded as a losing game.

It's the old, presently insoluble problem of restricting information. The only way to keep data from being duplicated is simply to not expose it. WotC is betting that the time it takes for pirates to scan and upload their books will be such that they will salvage more than 10:1 sales from people unwilling to wait on some pirate's inclination. Moreover, the basic uncertainty of _when_ that pirate PDF will finally come out will drive people to preorder or pick it up on the same day rather than put up with the uncertainty and poorer quality of most pirate PDFs. The margin may not be large, but it doesn't have to be large before it starts to substantially eclipse any cash they might be making off of their own zero-hour PDF sales.

Roman

First Post
Honestly, we all know that the piracy reason makes no sense for the PDFs that were out already, so could we please stop playing cute semantics here?

This. I have repeatedly stated that not making PDFs of new products may indeed be an anti-piracy measure, but other reasons are clearly behind the decision to pull existing PDFs. It is these other reasons and what they might be that I want to discuss in this thread.

darjr

I crit!
This. I have repeatedly stated that not making PDFs of new products may indeed be an anti-piracy measure, but other reasons are clearly behind the decision to pull existing PDFs. It is these other reasons and what they might be that I want to discuss in this thread.

He did state the other reason of that 'both'. He said the reason was a strategic business reason for the health of the hobby. I think he meant they were worried about the PDF's being pirated hurting not only WotC.

In that light it makes more sense that they'd pull the old edition PDF's. I do agree that the cat is out of the bag for those.

The other reason is why sell them in some split fashion. He does say that they are considering options to make them available. Why do that in two different ways.

lrsach01

Explorer
But WotC's already made clear that they're not interested in providing zero-hour PDFs that can be de-watermarked before the first box of hardbounds have come off the UPS truck. This model would functionally replicate the exact same system they've just discarded as a losing game.

Except the watermarking is the very technology (at least from the info in the court cases) that allowed WotC to identify the pirated PDFs. So the single pixel watermark could be embedded with the consumers ID. But, this presupposes that the old time fuddy duddy executives of Hasbro would go for such new fangled ideas (just a little teasing). :)

The Little Raven

First Post
Actually, I would argue that piracy is nothing more than competition - and the product they were offerring was superior in quality at a lower price.

They would WotC's competition if they were actually producing content of their own (which they don't). Making modifications to someone else's product does not make you their competition, it just makes you a pirate.

They are competition to legitimate distributors, which not only impacts WotC's potential sales, but retailers' potential sales.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Okay. How? How do you arrange it so that purchasing a hardbound book gets you a free PDF without significant danger of that code getting ganked before you get to enter it? If you think this PDF fuss is a black eye for WotC, how do you think they'd look after the first few dozen customers start yelling about not getting the PDF they were promised as part of the sale? It's pure handwaving to simply say "include a pdf download with the purchase of the book" unless you can explain how to do that in a way that is not _guaranteed_ to infuriate a portion of the buyers.

Now, one can argue that WotC should simply accept the bad PR of customers who bought the book not getting their PDF. One can suggest that customer service resources be devoted to allowing customers to claim that a particular code was ganked, and get a free PDF. Ultimately, WotC decided that this was not worth the heartache compared to simply selling watermarked PDFs- and now that they've decided that selling watermarked PDFs is a mug's game, what has changed to make their original estimation wrong?

No, I'm arguing that WotC should accept that PDFs will be pirated and make allowances for it in their business plan. Accept that some people will not buy your book to get a free or cheap pdf and choose to pirate the pdf. Instead of trying to prevent pdf piracy, concentrate your efforts on selling your products to those who want to buy them, and offer value for the money that can't be matched by pirates. In the retail industry, it is called shrinkage and retailers know that it happens and it is a cost of doing business (IIRC, Walmart's shrinkage in 2007 was estimated at $3 billion - and they still managed to turn a nice profit.)

Does it really make any sense to turn down, say, 1,000 sales if you know that 10,000 pirated copies will also occur? If it were dead trees - absolutely. PDFs? You aren't out 10,000 books. You are out 10,000 copies of 1's and 0's that cost you nothing beyond the first copy. For physical product, it makes sense to minimize lost sales. For pdfs, you either lose 10,000 while selling 1,000 or you lose 11,000 while selling 0.

They would WotC's competition if they were actually producing content of their own (which they don't). Making modifications to someone else's product does not make you their competition, it just makes you a pirate.

They are competition to legitimate distributors, which not only impacts WotC's potential sales, but retailers' potential sales.

You are missing the point. The *media* and its distribution is the commodity, not the content. The content is still WotC's, they just weren't in total control of the distribution. In the early 3.x days, pirates had a better pdf than you could legally obtain because it was OCRed and fully indexed. The fact that their pdf was better was what drew people to download illegal copies. Until recently, WotC's current PDFs were just as good, but at a higher price point. It doesn't matter whether the distribution was legit or not - consumers chose them because they were better and/or cheaper. WotC *should* have seen it for what it was and produced pdfs that were either more value-added, or were at a lower price point.

I had no problem shelling out hundreds at a time for bunches of $5 pdfs at RPGNow or Paizo. I *did* have a problem paying for full-priced 3.5 pdfs. The go/no-go price point for me is around $15 (I think From Stone to Steel was the most expensive pdf I bought).

Regarding lost sales, see my response (above) to CardinalXimenes.

Now, I am biased regarding WotC's decision. If it were only 4e products, I wouldn't care since I don't play 4e. However, they've removed their entire back catalog. Back catalog sales are where your long-term profit is. Do a quick google search and you'll see that companies selling online music and movies make a ton of money off of their back catalog.

Emryys

Explorer

Why don't they release the PDF's 2 weeks later then the dead-tree ?... stimulates the B&M stores, hardback sales and hopefully convinces those with impatience to pick-up the book and maybe disrupt piracy enough to justify satisfying 4E pdf customers...

The OPP stuff had a great price point, but maybe they simply want to offer all titles, new & old under the same banner/format.

Shadowsong666

First Post
Why don't they release the PDF's 2 weeks later then the dead-tree ?... stimulates the B&M stores, hardback sales and hopefully convinces those with impatience to pick-up the book and maybe disrupt piracy enough to justify satisfying 4E pdf customers...

The OPP stuff had a great price point, but maybe they simply want to offer all titles, new & old under the same banner/format.

Why should that disrupt piracy? They can easily scan the book prior to release or just wait for the pdf...

And honestly, why should i as consumer of digital products get treated worse than those buying a physical copy? Thats dumb imho. Now lets assume that the pirates release a digital version first and i should then stay put and simply tell me "hey, just wait for it. Ok, the pirates are already reading the book you want, but thats evil so just wait the week and be a honest person." ? oh boy, what a bad move that would be. :D

Remove ads