• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Return (The Heros of Mergovie)

DarkMaster

First Post
The two small armored humanoid turns immediatly as they hear Jath voice. They both instinctively reaches for the handle of their sword, but don't draw them. They pauses for a few second looking at the intruder.

After a few second of hesitation one of them raises his arm and points towards the west.
"Ze village, is zest of aki. Me not reecomand zou to travelll there. Me reecomand zou go home"

The small creature says in a something that sounds like a mix of old Mergovian and Axyrian. The two small creature do not seems menacing but ready to react would Jath try anything on them.

----
Not too far away in the forest.

The commander observe the woods, drawing her sword she approaches the area where she saw some movement. Xavier, Karn and a few soldier move front with her. After moving about 20 ', they see what was hidden by that large tree. A horse and his horsemen are hung by their feets to a large tree. Their body seems to have been partly eaten and the gentle wind is slowly balancing their body. The group makes a few steps forwards and notice three others soldier in the same condition.

The four body are dressed in the color of the Baron.

The commander whispers to those arounds "The four scouts, they got the four scouts."

Xavier looks around him (sense motive 8+8 DC 10) and notices the sudden change of mood in those around him. While disgusted by the whole scene, Xavier's isn't scared at all somehow is faith in heireounous is giving him the strenght needed to face such horrors. He also feels that the soldiers and the commander are looking to him, finding strength in his way to handle the situation and by all the confidence that seems to emanate from him.

Karn can be heard behind. "In the name of the King, There is more happening around here than I taught. Xavier I don't think the militian could do such an attrocity, their are cowards and traitor but not monsters."

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: Whoops - missed my cue, there!

BIC: Solomon signals for the others to follow.

"I can see tracks. I believe they are Udar's. Let me take the lead. Cound slowly to 60, then follow."

Solomon, waraxe in hand, slinks into the darkness, moving silently, and following the tracks.

DarkMaster

First Post
Solomon heads forwards moving as sthealty as possible while tracking Uder's footsteps. (move sil 5 +9 hide 3+9).

Solomon follows the path for about 20 minutes waiting for his compagnion at each intersection in the sewers.

He finally gets to an intersection where many footsteps from various people becomes mixed. He is at a cross intersection most of the other footsteps he notices come and go from the other three tunnels. Uder obviously didn't use a path frequently used by whomever lurks inside those tunnels. Solomon tries to continue to follow the track among all these footsteps but (survival roll 1+7) things aren't that clear, given more time he could probably figure out the direction Uder took but he will really have to stop moving and carefully examine the ground. Solomon can hear the rest of the group slowly approach behind him. Solomon notices again footsteps made by a large humanoid going in and out of the three tunnels.

Manzanita

First Post
Solomon Kreel

Solomon will slow down and let the others catch up, taking his time and doing a thorough search for Uder's footprints.

OOC: Take 20 on survival check

When the others come, he says, "One of these passages leads to Joe's house, I believe. I'm seeing the same giant humanoid tracks we saw there. Give me a minute here to see if I can find Uder's tracks. If I can't, maybe we can follow the large tracks. They probably lead the same place."

Verbatim

Explorer
DarkMaster said:
The two small armored humanoid turns immediatly as they hear Jath voice. They both instinctively reaches for the handle of their sword, but don't draw them. They pauses for a few second looking at the intruder.

After a few second of hesitation one of them raises his arm and points towards the west.
"Ze village, is zest of aki. Me not reecomand zou to travelll there. Me reecomand zou go home"

The small creature says in a something that sounds like a mix of old Mergovian and Axyrian. The two small creature do not seems menacing but ready to react would Jath try anything on them.

----

Keeping his features relaxed, hoping that the two guards will follow suit, Jath looks down the road towards the smoke still rising from above the tree line.

"Does it have to do with the smoke? Was there a fire in the village? I have some knowledge in how to treat minor burns if there are any who need help."

While in truth, his knowledge was limited to fetching some of his mother's balm and rubbing it on the area in question, Jath did not feel the need to share that grain of truth with the guardsmen.

~Better for them to think I am useful than the what I really am.~

Ferrix

Explorer
Dai drops down behind Solomon, waits to a count of 30, and then heads off quietly after the half-orc. Coming up on the juncture of the other tunnels, Dai raises a questioning look to the tracker.

doghead

thotd
Xavier Roces, Servant of Hieroneous

Xavier resists the urge to hastily make the sign of Hieroneous. A sign made in haste is a as much a sign of fear on of the old Servants told Xavier once. He nods in response to Karn's observation, with which he agrees, but hold his tongue for the moment.

Instead, he heels SanFaneidal forwards and moves slowly between the bodies (if there is room, around them if there is not) being careful not to touch them. He inspects each of the scouts for any signs of life, and says rites for each when he doesn't find any.

As Xavier returns to where the Commander waits, the Servant of Hieroneoius ponders what to say. He has no authority here, and is wary of being see to be usurping the commander. But it is obvious that the soldiers, including the commander are waiting for something from him. He need to find the words to give the men courage, but not words that will inflame their passions. Xavier draws to a halt before the commander. He speaks to her, but in a voice intend for all those nearbt to hear.

"We should cut these men down, they have passed on. Hieroneous looks after their souls now.

"Whoever we face, they are quite capable. They want to frighten us, unsettle us. So we must respond with calm and courage. This is Hieroneous' blessing - the courage and fortitude to face those who wish us harm and to overcome them. If we ask Hieroneous, he will be here with us. He will give us the strength of body and spirit to do what we have to do today and to ensure that we don't become what it is we fight in the heat of battle."

ooc: OK. Xavier is looking to calm and reassure the soldiers. Doesn't want them getting scared, but neither does he want them all worked up and butchering everything they find. Not Hieroneous' style I think - Law, Good and War and all that.

DarkMaster

First Post
Solomon kneels down and start looking for any subtle clue that could help him in tracking down the Councellor. (roll 12+7, roll 10+7, roll 12+7)

After about half an hour of searching and observing for details (Listen Solomon roll 17+7, Trolm 7, Jraq 22, Jasper 12+1, Oculus 20+3, Dai 10+2) Solomon hears a very faint sound from the east tunnel, the sound reminds him of someone walking with a chainmail.

Oculus also discern the subtle sound echoing in the corridor, Jraq instinctively silently rushes himself back against the wall drawing his weapon slowly.

---

The two small armored humanoid listen carefully at Jath answers, (bluff 4+7 DC sense motive 6) The guard who was already speaking to Jath continues.

Ze no werry strranger, ze zmoke es our kamp. Ze village es zest. Zou seem good human, I rrrecomand zou to leave area, before too late

The two small humanoid relaxed their guard seeing that Jath seems to be completly unaware of what is happening around.

(knowledge geography 12+3) Jath is convinced that the smoke plume position correspond with the location of the temple written on his map.

----

Xavier approaches the body, look at them. The injury seems to have been done with teeth from small creature. (search 14+2) He can't find any other mark of injury. It looks like they have been killed by those injury. The creature went hard on them, He notices missing part of ear, missing eyes, finger, toe. They all have at least one dismembered members holding to their body by a small amount of flesh.

Xavier's speech (roll 6+14) while not his best gives the soldiers back some courage and motivation to continue. Xavier notices a subtle smile in the commander face behind her helmet as he finishes his speech. Karn and a few soldiers get down their horse. "You are right Sir Roces, let's give these poor man a proper burial, their little tactics will not work on us."

The commander stays on her horse carefully observing the area.

As the soldier reaches the body. Xavier and the others notice a dense fog quickly filling up the area. The fog seems to come from the forest all around them.

Manzanita

First Post
Solomon

Solomon points towards the noise, smiling at the swift actions of the soldiers. "I will investigate. Count to 60, then follow." He then dissapears into the darkness, silently pursuing his prey.

OOC: So did he find any further trace of Uder?

Verbatim

Explorer
DarkMaster said:
The two small armored humanoid listen carefully at Jath answers, (bluff 4+7 DC sense motive 6) The guard who was already speaking to Jath continues.

Ze no werry strranger, ze zmoke es our kamp. Ze village es zest. Zou seem good human, I rrrecomand zou to leave area, before too late

The two small humanoid relaxed their guard seeing that Jath seems to be completly unaware of what is happening around.

(knowledge geography 12+3) Jath is convinced that the smoke plume position correspond with the location of the temple written on his map.
----

Although he felt certain his destination was where the smoke was, Jath had no desire to force the armored men talking to him to draw their steel.

~The Trickster rewards those whose mind is sharper than steel...~

His disarming smile never once leaving his face, Jath nods his head in agreement and bows slightly to the men.

"If all is well, then I will be off. However, I will feel much safer knowing that fine guards such as yourself are keeping the roads safe for travelers such as myself."

Mounting quickly, Jath turned around and slowly began riding back down the road, his mind already trying to figure out the best way to get past the guards who block his path.

~Nothing is ever simple is it Mother...nothing is ever simple~

Remove ads