D&D 5E The Rhyot Break (OOC) - Discussion

Imladir

Villager
Nice maps. What's the scale (roughly)? I see individual villages shown so it's probably not that big, would that be a problem with the noble background? Maybe instead of her family owning lands somewhere on the island, she comes from Reinne or Rowtil?

Other than that (and the divinity field on the sheet but it doesn't really matter), I think the sheet is ready? Of course, with a sorcerer a wizard may be a bit redundant...

97mg

Explorer
Question. Would cold resistance help at all in the cold weather?

Totally! My understanding is that you would negate any need to roll DC10 Con saves hourly, when impacted by the elements, to prevent exhaustion. A perfect slave to work in this environment! :)

97mg

Explorer
Nice maps. What's the scale (roughly)? I see individual villages shown so it's probably not that big, would that be a problem with the noble background? Maybe instead of her family owning lands somewhere on the island, she comes from Reinne or Rowtil?

Other than that (and the divinity field on the sheet but it doesn't really matter), I think the sheet is ready? Of course, with a sorcerer a wizard may be a bit redundant...

I'm thinking roughly 300 miles east to west, and probably a good three days hard travel to reach the nearest well populated village from Halst Peak.

The Noble background is fine! Maybe the family led a large village somewhere which was prosperous and had formed strong relationships with powerful figureheads in the larger towns or Rowtil city, up to you :)

Don't worry about the sorcerer wizard thing, be who you'd like to be.

Do you want to maintain your character via the mythweavers sheet? I'm happy with that of course, use them quite a bit too for npc creation and stuff :)

tglassy

Adventurer
I look at (and create my) Sorcerers as being more like X-Men than spellcasters.

I don’t get ritual spells or a spell book, so I don’t take all those “spellcastery” spells like Identify or Detect Magic unless I have a good, in character reason. My spell list is finite, and always will be, so I focus on a theme. Having a wizard to do all the wizards things frees me up to focus on my theme.

Imladir

Villager
Noted for the scale, the village / link with Rowtil works for me.
I'll post the sheet here, no problem, I was just waiting for the go ahead ^^

Well, I don't yet have Identify nor Detect Magic, but I understand what you're saying. I usually go with Cleric (Knowledge) 1 / Wizard, but I didn't want to start as a Cleric here so I'll do without. I'll probably learn those spells later, we'll see.

97mg

Explorer
Hi guys, I've added a bit more to our intro.
[MENTION=6967536]Imladir[/MENTION] go ahead for character is granted :)

While the remaining characters are cooked and the rest of us think about what our opening posts might contain, it gives me good time to refine some of the NPCs etc, and add some more stuff to the Tome.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Here is my barbarian:

[sblock]
Gimlak
images.jpg
Sex: Male
Race: Human
Class/Level: Barbarian 1
Alignment: Neutral good
Size: Medium
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (human)
Init: +2
Senses: Darkvision 60’
Passive Perception: 10

Defense
AC 15 (0 armor + 2 dex + 3 Cond)
HP 15 (1d12 + 3 con)
Saves: Strenght, Constitution

Offense +2 proficiency, +3 str mellee, +2 dex ranged
Speed: 30ft
Melee: unarmed attack: +5 / 4 damage
Ranged: tbd

Feat
Great weapon master
- On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.
- Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage.

Statistics* denotes proficiency
Str 16 (+3) Save +5* (9 points, +1 racial)
Dex 14 (+2) Save +2 (7 points)
Con 16 (+3) Save +5* (9 points, +1 racial)
Int 8 (-1) Save -1 (0 points)
Wis 10 (+0) Save +0 (2 points)
Cha 8 (-1) Save -1 (0 points)

SKILLS Proficiencies in bold: 2 barbarian, 2 background, 1 human

Mod Attribute Name of Skill
+2 (dex) Acrobatics
+2 (wis) Animal Handling - from background
-1 (int) Arcana
+5 (str) Athletics - from class
-1 (cha) Deception
-1 (int) History
+0 (wis) Insight
-1 (cha) Intimidation
-1 (int) Investigation
+0 (wis) Medicine
-1 (int) Nature
+2 (wis) Perception - from class
-1 (cha) Performance
-1 (cha) Persuasion
-1 (int) Religion
+2 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+4 (dex) Stealth - from race
+2 (wis) Survival - from background

tools
carpenter's tools
vehicles (land)

Languages: Common, dwarf

Racial Features: human
Bonus feat: great weapon master
Bonus skill: stealth
Bonus language: dwarf

Background: Folk hero
One type o f artisan’s tools: carpenter's tools
vehicles (land)
Feature: Rustic Hospitality
Since you come from the ranks o f the common folk,
you fit in am ong them with ease. You can find a place
to hide, rest, or recuperate am ong other commoners,
unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to
them. They will shield you from the law or anyone
else searching for you, though they will not risk
their lives for you.

Class Features: barbarian
  • Hit Dice: 1d12 per fighter level + CON modifier
  • Armor Proficiencies: Medium armor, shields
  • Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons, martial weapons
  • Tool Proficiencies: none
  • Skill Proficiencies: Perception, Athletics
  • Saving Throws: Strenght, Constitution
  • Equipment: TBD
  • Feature: Unarmored defence (add constitution modifier to AC)
  • Feature: Rage 2x/long rest
    When raging:
    - advantage on strenght checks and saves
    - extra damage: +2 (need to use str to attack)
    - resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage

Equipment
Combat Gear:

[sblock=paceholder_for_later]
Other Gear:
  • backpack [5 lbs]

• [
    • 50' hempen rope [10 lbs]
    • bedroll [7 lbs]
    • mess kit [1 lb]
    • tinderbox [1 lb]
    • torches (x 10) [10 lbs]
    • rations, per day (x 10) [20 lbs]
    • waterskin, full [5 lbs]
    [/sblock]

Money: 0 gp [0 lbs]

Weight Carried: 0 lbs
    Carrying Capacity:
    240 lbs
    Push/Drag/Lift: 480 lbs (Speed is 5ft)

Description
    Gimlak is a grim looking human. His black beard is now long and unkept, and so is his hair. He has dark eyes, and a serious demeanor.

Personality Trait: I judge people by their actions, not their words
    Ideal: Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people.
    Bond: I have lost everything. I now protect those who cannot protect themselves.
    Flaw: The Korrund will stop at nothing to see me remain in the mines

Background
    Gimlak had a peaceful and happy life. He was an apprentice carpenter, and his wife and two children were the apple of his eye. This is when life was simple. He was bright, talkative, and was a respected member of the community, in a small village in the Eyelin Hills.

This was before The Korrud came. Those monsters came, destroyed the village, and killed or enslaved those that could not escape. Gimlak fought back ferocously with the village militia, but The Korrund were too strong. The beasts killed his family, and with some survivors, he fled to the forest. There, he joined a resistance group, and harrassed the invaders for a few years or so. This gave the common folk that had survived some hope, and he made a name for himself.

Unfortunately, hope is not something The Korrund wanted. They were attacked at night, and were unprepared. Again a survivor, he was brought to the mines of Rhyot Break as punishment and torture. Over the last ten years, his body grew strong while his mind grew weak. The flame of hope for revenge still burned, but time was taking its toll. He mostly kept quiet, but would save some of his food for those that needed it more than he did. He helped others when he could, but The Korrund didn't give him much of a chance. Untill perhaps now, gods willing.
    [/sblock]

Last edited:

Imladir

Villager
Small question regarding Zemryn, shouldn't your age be 100+ years old? From what I read, Elves become adults at 100, so 21 (if I read correctly, maybe I made a mistake?) seems just a child, no?

Remove ads