D&D General The rise and fall of D&D in Japan

Yaarel

He Mage
Great article by Masaki Yanagida that the original post links to. It is fascinating to see how D&D entered the Japanese market and popculture.

The history demonstrates yet an other example of how, when the custodians of the D&D tradition try to control its monetization, it actually kills the business.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
A for other languages, I've heard (unsubstantiated) that Hasbro/WotC has ended localization efforts & sales in Brazil.
That’s not unsubstantiated, WotC announced in February that they will no longer be translating D&D or Magic: the Gathering products into Portuguese.

Here’s the D&D announcement: Change to Supported Languages in D&D Product

Here’s the MtG announcement: Changes to Magic Product Languages in 2024

Technically they aren’t ending sales in Brazil, but they are no longer translating their products into the most widely spoken language there.

Interesting post and article. A lot of it seems to track with Iosue's great posts on a similar (broader) topic:

I don't expect D&D to be as big in Japan as other areas, but it would be cool if it was a little bigger than it is now. I'm Japanese ethnically, but can't speak it or read kanji to my eternal shame. I am interested in many things from Japan though so it is interesting to read these articles/posts.

kronovan

Adventurer
...What about the localization of D&D in other non-English speaking countries?
I've read and been told many times, that Das Schwarze Auge/The Dark Eye is much more popular than D&D in Germany and the Benelux countries and D&D 5E sales of the German version consequently suffer as a result. DSA is supposed to be popular in France, but it gets more competition from other TTRPGs there and the French version of 5E is apparently popular too.

Does anyone know how D&D compares to home grown titles like Goblin Slayer RPG in Japan?

I think there's a conflation in some of the posts here between "popularity of D&D" and popularity of RPGs in Japan. RPGs are very popular....but maybe not D&D itself. Call of Cthulhu is incredibly popular, the #1 translated RPG in Japan last I checked. There are a lot of homegrown RPGs over there, some of which (such as Goblin Slayer) have been localized in English here, but tend to be sold alongside their manga inspirations rather than in game shops.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Does anyone know how D&D compares to home grown titles like Goblin Slayer RPG in Japan?

I think there's a conflation in some of the posts here between "popularity of D&D" and popularity of RPGs in Japan. RPGs are very popular....but maybe not D&D itself. Call of Cthulhu is incredibly popular, the #1 translated RPG in Japan last I checked. There are a lot of homegrown RPGs over there, some of which (such as Goblin Slayer) have been localized in English here, but tend to be sold alongside their manga inspirations rather than in game shops.

I think Goblin Slayer is just a flavored Sword World, i think. could be wrong.

By the by, i liked it. Loved how characters are generated

I think Goblin Slayer is just a flavored Sword World, i think. could be wrong.

By the by, i liked it. Loved how characters are generated
I'll need to check Sword World out. Do you know if it was localized in English? Hmmmm I guess I can be a good internet person and search around...

EDIT: I see a World guide/core book on Amazon.

Remove ads