The Runic Storyhour: An Oriental Adventure in The Dream

Rune

Once A Fool
Session 6, part 2:

On the morning of the Rice-Cake Festival, we get up and head to the gong tower. There’s no one at the door, so I bang on it and a pissed off old ratling tells us to go away, or something to that effect. He doesn’t accept our money, but he agrees to let us in if we tell him what "information that we know." (Of course, we don’t really know anything, but he doesn’t know that we don’t know anything.) He lets us take a look at the innards of the tower and climb to the top and my brother slams himself into the gong. That thing is loud!

The old ratling really wants to know what we know, and is only getting meaner. The monkey doesn’t like him either. We go back down to the bottom floor and there are rats and ratlings in every shadow, watching us. Finally he gets mad and pushes me out the door. My brother is already out, and the halfling follows quickly. The doors slam shut.

DM note: actually, it was a very good bull rush attack.

He was hidin’ something. I know it. For one thing, he kept telling us that we’d be hunted down and killed if we talked to anyone about them. We were never there. Yep. Suspicious…

DM note: one must pause and reflect on the brilliant lucidity of the dwarf's observational powers.

We go to the Southern Ward (there’s hardly any celebration here—and I know why; this place is a slum! There aren’t even streets, only alleys.) We catch a guy and start asking him questions about murders and mutilations, and such, and he freaks out! Turns out there’s some giant worm-like thing that’s got translucent skin showing off its innards towering over a house about a hundred yards off. He’s smashing buildings and eating people, so the locals are kind of panicky. Bah. Who needs ‘em?

By my beard, here we go again!

It sees us (somehow) and starts heading for us. My brother and I both have repeating crossbows from our days in the Shugenja Temple. We lay into the thing, but the bolts aren’t doing much. The halfling starts making a fire (what is it with him and fire?) and then he catches a glimpse of some guy on a rooftop and sends his monkey after the figure. I keep firing at the thing (it sure does move slowly with all of those houses in the way) while my brother runs into a house to find some help. He finds some coward and drags him out and throws him toward the worm-thing. The halfling wants to send the guy away to get the town guard, but it’s too late, he’s running for his life. Bah. Who needs him?

DM note: what is it with the halfling and fire?

When the worm-thing gets closer, I get out my beautiful masterwork great-axe (I made it myself, as a matter of fact.) and get ready to charge the big creature. The halfling casts some magical armor spell on me and the Dream tries to get uppity, but it recognizes my superiority and backs down. Then the halfling picks up a long piece of burning wood and readies it behind the flame. I wish I had time to laugh, but I’m going into a rage.

I leap over the fire and drive my axe into the worm-thing, but my blade slides off it’s thick, slippery skin. Then the thing reaches over the fire to attack the halfling, but the halfling is ready for it and drives the flaming splinter into the monster. That hurt it. A little.

DM note: the dwarf's attack was a natural 20 on the leap roll, followed by a pitiful attack roll.

The halfling doesn’t get out unscathed, though. One of the worm-thing’s pincered tentacles takes a goodly chunk out of him. That hurt him. More than a little.

I taste the blood from my own tongue; I must have bitten myself in my rage. My vision becomes clear, like a hunting animal’s, and I see my brother moving behind the creature so that we flank it. Then he jumps on its back and starts chopping away with his dwarven war axe, while the halfling keeps grabbing flaming pieces of wood and stabbing the worm with them.

My vision becomes a narrow tunnel with only one thing at the end: something to kill. The worm-thing picks me up with all of its tentacles but I keep chopping away at its gaping mouth. The thing tries to stuff me in its mouth, but we all manage to attack it before it can pull off the deed. The combined might of the dwarven axes and the halfling’s stick obliterate the life-force within the creature, and the Dream’s reaction is powerful. We are all thrown through the air and drained of energy. We are victorious, but we have no token of our success, for the sky rips open and swallows the entire body of the worm-thing.

DM note: those dwarves sure are tough! I'll have to think of something more challenging or they might start to get too powerful!

The halfling and his monkey must share their brain, because the halfling says to us that the figure on the roof-top went to West Hill. We go there too; I’m not sure why. Apparently, we’re looking for some "twisted building" that doesn’t "fit." Whatever that means.

DM note: the halfling and his monkey do actually share a brain...sort of; the monkey has become his familiar.

We find a building in West Hill (which is apparently where all the scholar-snobs go to hang out). The halfling says, "This is the place," and in we go.

The inside blows our minds. The building on the outside is one story tall (and not at all twisted), but on the inside, it is huge! It has a twisting spiral staircase and the inside is filled with books. I pick one up and the spidery lettering seems to crawl around off the page and into my head. That is weird. I don’t like this place. Some scrawny human comes up. The halfling could probably beat him up. He asks us if we need help and notices the corrosive worm blood on my axe, which I never got around to peace-bonding again. Funny. I know I cleaned it, though. When we tell him we killed a big worm, he looks distant and blank for a moment and then tells us politely to leave when he snaps out of it. We could come back tomorrow, if we like and even meet "the Blessed," whatever that means.

We haven’t gone too far when we get the feeling that we’re being followed. The halfling sends the monkey out again. Turns out it’s a ratling.

DM note: what? Followed again! Couldn't be!

When we get to where the monkey is, we see that there’s an unconscious ratling on the ground with the monkey on top of him behind a vendor’s booth. The halfling’s ridiculously proud because he thinks the monkey is finally learning to fight. Sure. I shake the ratling awake and we manage to convince him to talk to us. He says that the ratlings have been hired to keep an eye on us by "the Blessed" because we know too much. (The joke’s on them! We know nothing!)

Then the ratling shifts shape into a dirty little rat and escapes our grasp, which is very strange, because everybody knows that ratlings can’t change into rats.

Oh well. At least there’s still time to enjoy the festival.

--Strong Dwarf Stands

DM note: notable moments--this was a pretty exciting session, despite the absence of Ocean Deeply Sleeps. None of my other players relish the opportunity to be the scribe, because the feel that in order to take notes sufficient for a log, they have to cut back on the role-playing. Nevertheless, Strong Dwarf Stands came off as obnoxious as ever!

Strong Dwarf Stands was once again a barbaric barbarian this session. It was good to have him back and I must congratulate the player on his ability to roleplay and take good notes at the same time. Also, the two dwarven brothers make an astoundingly good offensive team.

Drunken Dwarf Snores and his brother are both wonderfully played uncharismatic dwarves; both are distinct, and yet both play well off of each other and work together in tight cohesion.

Fighting Man Dances is funny. In this session in particular, he stands out as a tactician, because the two dwarves, while being played by seasoned gaming tacticians, are being played as straightforward charging type of guys. And nobody listens to halflings. The player of Fighting Man Dances, by the way, was extraordinarily pleased at the part where his monkey had apparently knocked out a ratling. He really wants that monkey to know martial arts!

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
This session is a little bit different from last sessions--for one thing, it was a very short session. We have a new player, a guest player, and, regrettably, the player of Ocean Deeply Sleeps (and the author of most of these write-ups) could not make it to the game. This session is therefore written by the player of the halfling, Fighting Man Dances and is from his point of view. I have edited slightly.

Session 6.5

All is confusing in the great shiftings of the Dream. What seemed real before fades in memory only to be replaced with haunting facsimiles that seem not to fit quite right. At the Rice-Cake Festival, we meet an acquantance of Strong Dwarf Stands, a woman. She could almost pass for human, but there is something otherworldly about her--I believe that she is one of the spirit-folk. Apparently, Strong Dwarf Stands ran into her while hunting Nightmares. She is one of the woodland-warriors. Her name is Passion Readily Follows.

She has brought with her a foreign devil. He is a very effeminent orc-blood who wears great ruffled collars and cuffs, coats so padded they could serve as armor, and a sword, which he calls a "rapier," that is so thin, it will surely break if it is ever struck upon anything. The name that he has been given by the humans is Dashing Orcblood Croons. He seems proud of it!

Not long thereafter, we catch a glimpse of Night Softly Calls attempting to break up a street brawl. We go to her. The brawlers are pitiful, weak drunkards and are easily and quickly subdued by the dwarven brothers. Night Softly Calls is, regrettably, unappreciative of their help. After some bit of talking (and telling her of our encounter with the worm-creature), we manage to pry some information from her about recent events. She is not immediately forthcoming with the information, however. Before she will believe us, we must show her evidence of the creature, so we take her into the South Ward and show her the smashed buildings. Night Softly Calls believes that the ratlings are behind the grisly murders of the inhabitants of the South Ward and also of her the former Captain of the Guard.

Night Softly Calls claims that she has only recently been placed as Captain of the Guard when the last one was killed a couple of weeks ago. Memory is fading rapidly, but I am sure that she was a Captain when we first encountered her, five years ago.

Now, I have thought about this oddity, and others like it, for a long time and I have begun to develop a theory. I believe that we have stumbled upon a reoccuring section of the Dream...

DM note: I love it when my players do my thinking for me…

I think that the dwarves can not accept the flamboyant nature of the orc-blood. I tell him that they are base, and have no honor, but have their own personal strength, as all living things do. Now, I speak not in tangents, but few seem to be able to follow my train of thought, I am reminded, as Orcblood pats me on the head.

DM note: isn’t that cute? The halfling is philosophizing!

Lacking a better course of action for the moment, we head back toward the gong-tower, but the ratlings do not grant us admittance. We, therefore, turn back toward our inn in the Eastgate neighborhood. As we are flowing through the festival crowds, Our heads begin to pound and our vision begins to blur. We are hearing voices that claw at our ears and eat our minds. More sounds are added, soon; people are screaming.

We manage to part through the masses and see a stage off the side of the street with strange humanoid creatures--Nightmares, surely--with filthy gray fur cleaving through people with great stone axes. It is they who are chattering and causing our migranes. I imitate the sound with my magic so that the creatures' attentions will be drawn from the innocent denizens of this city (whom they are currently slaughtering). The Dream reacts to my casting and a chorus from the heavens sings in the second before my spell takes effect. My plan has worked; all five of the creatures are drawn to us.

DM note: the dwarves, by the way, did not seem to understand the purpose of attracting their attention. I guess they’re not extraordinarily heroic…

We can see as they approach that the Nightmare-creatures have no eyes. That does not stop them from seeing us, however. The creatures close and lunge at us, one facing each of us. Drunken Dwarf Snores manages to mangle one of the creatures while it is still in the air with his dwarven war axe. It falls to the ground and taints the street with its waning life-blood. Orcblood is dealt a heavy blow, but stands through it. Strong Dwarf Stands swings his massive great axe but can not catch the beast in front of him and Drunk Dwarf leaps forward to quickly dispatch the creature who faces me (I suppose he assumes that I will be too busy casting spells to fight it on my own). Orcblood backs up and begins to play an uplifting tune on his elaborately designed silver flute. There must be something magical about it, because the Dream reacts; vague outlines of humanoid forms appear in the air and dance and play along with the music. Our hearts are lightened and we our spirits are bolstered. The creature in front of Orcblood covers its ears and attempts to drown out the sound of the flute with his own maddening mumblings. Passion takes the opportunity to strike her opponent; she attempts two blows with her bo-staff, but lands only one.

I heft my tai-chi sword in both hands and rush the attacker who has hurt Orcblood; I attack with "Around the Comet, the Field Sleeps," but the creature nimbly rolls out of my way. The creatures that are still standing lash out at us, but the only one to take serious damage is Passion. The blow that stains her beautiful otherworldly features with a deep crimson dye is a solid one. Orcblood backs up again and changes his tune. The vague outlines of the Dream around him adjust to the new melody. Strong Dwarf swings again at his assailant, but is once again unsuccessful. Drunken Dwarf flanks Passion's creature and, between the two of them, the beast is quickly felled.

The first of the creatures finally dies, and a wave of sickness and unhealth bathes us as the Dream collects the spirits of the Nightmares. There are still two creatures standing, so I again attack the one in front of Orcblood, this time using "Rolling Butterfly Attack," and cut a nasty gash through the center of the monster with a sharp "ki-ya!"

DM note: that critical was more than 4 points!

Strong Dwarf Stands finally connects with the beast in front of him and our fight is brought to an end.

DM note: watching Strong Dwarf Stands roll poorly so many times in a row was kind of funny.

Night Softly Calls approaches. She begins to suspect that these creatures are responsible for the mutilations in the South Ward, rather than the ratlings. The Dwarves tell Night what we know about "the Blessed," which is very little, and about the drunken guard, whom we suspect has accepted bribery. In return, she gives us a note and tells us to contact her in the Guard's Barracks should we come across any more relevant information.

Now we must decide what to do. The creatures have obviously come from the south, for there is a trail of destruction winding toward this spot from that direction. We feel that we should rest before we hunt them down and decide, for some reason, that it would be better to track the creatures at night. We go back to our inn and sleep until late in the night.

When we wake up, it is winter again. We head toward the South Ward in a blizzard; I am on the orcblood's shoulders. There are no tracks at first, but when we enter the South Ward, we find large, clawed footprints scattering in many directions. Further on, we begin to see that some of the tracks are nearly obliterated by large tracks of dragged objects, each staining the rosy oceanlit snow with a sharper red. They appear to be converging on one particular boarded warehouse.

--Fighting Man Dances

DM notes: noteable moments—this session was a very short one, to the dismay to all participants, but an intriguing one, nonetheless. The players were disappointed that their fight with the creatures was too easy. That’s a complaint I’m not used to! Also, they were not happy with the cliffhanger that I ended the session on.

Passion Readily Follows is a bamboo spirit folk who was played by a guest player. She is a Ranger4.

Dashing Orcblood Croons is an orcblood (half-orc) Bard4. He is played by a new player (who is female) who is an excellent artist (I’m trying to trick her into doing some character sketches, as a matter of fact). It was very humorous to see the very foppish half-orc played off of the overly-manly dwarves.

Strong Dwarf Stands is still an uncharismatic dwarven barbarian. Nothing new, here. Dashing Orcblood Croons seemed particularly attracted to Strong, so the tension was very nice.

Drunken Dwarf Snores is still an uncharismatic dwarven fighter. Nothing new, here. Dashing Orcblood Croons seemed particularly attracted to Drunken Dwarf, so the tension was very nice.

Fighting Man Dances was very happy to finally get a chance to use some monkish martial arts. The names for the moves, by the way, came from the generator in a recent Dragon Magazine. I also must congratulate the player of the halfling for managing to take good notes while roleplaying his character so well.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
Whew...

Well, I finally got caught up! Now if only I could manage to make the next game happen, we'll be doing alright...

By the way, for those of you interested, the player of Ocean Deeply Sleeps (and the usual author of these write-ups) has not been present for the last couple of sessions (and may miss one or two more sessions) because she has been very busy working on her novel so she can have something to send to publishers before a depletion of funds forces her back into the paying work-force.

...And one more thing:

If anyone reading this storyhour would like to leave some feedback, you are more than welcomed to do so! I'd love to see your ideas, tips, and responses (although if you have really evil ideas, it would be better if you emailed me instead of posting them).

Thanks, and have fun!

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Love the two new characters! Especially the Dashing Orc.
do I get bonus points since I was already caught up?

When is the next session and hence the next post?

Rune

Once A Fool
Broccli_Head said:
Love the two new characters! Especially the Dashing Orc.
do I get bonus points since I was already caught up?

When is the next session and hence the next post?

Next session is Thursday, and yes, you do get bonus points.

Also, I want to pimp out the storyhour for a game I'm playing in (and will be writing (but not posting) the logs for. It's called Forgotten Realms: Mystery of the Maps.

Now, don't start thinking that I'm a Realms convert because of this...It's a fun game, is all...

Rune

Once A Fool
Just ran a session all night long!

...with the three players who showed up, so look for an update (or a batch of updates) soon!

And while I'm at it, here's a quick quiz to tease you with:

Why don't they just burn it down?

Which character(s) doesn't(don't) make it?

What's up?

Hey, where'd the dwarves go?

What's with the tiger on the ceiling?

What unfamiliar face is this, returned to haunt us?

But who would want to kidnap a shaman?

When did insects become our friends?

Is a frontal assault the wisest option?

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Answers:

1. Immune to fire?
2. The orc? too bad Dashing :(
3. Whatever it is, it has to come down eventually...
4. Underground?
5. Is he grinning :D
6. That character who died and was raised and ran away. I forgot his name
7. The dwarves...they're mean
8. When they eat spiders?
9. Never...even if you're fighting kobolds!

Rune

Once A Fool
Re: Answers:

Broccli_Head said:
1. Immune to fire?
Certainly not.
2. The orc? too bad Dashing :(
No.
3. Whatever it is, it has to come down eventually...
Unfortunately all too true...
4. Underground?
Not this time.
5. Is he grinning :D
No...er...she...isn't.
6. That character who died and was raised and ran away. I forgot his name
Intelligent Chameleon Survives. No comment on this one.
7. The dwarves...they're mean
They're not that mean!
8. When they eat spiders?
Close, but not quite.
9. Never...even if you're fighting kobolds!
Quite right!

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
You is Evil.... I like it

Converted to Forgotten Realms eh... sweet gonna have to check out that storyhour... this one as well never dissapoints... never!

Remove ads