• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Scars Run Deep (Updated - 3/29/2004)

Carnifex

First Post
theRuinedOne said:
Heh, yeah. Well, I love some of the pics on Nat'l Geo. So what if they're a bit more modern? It's not like I have people lining up to draw pics for my games or anything. ;)

:p :D

Heheheh... Cazamir vs. Behemoth... ;)

Anyways, nothing wrong with using pics from Nat Geo, I've just now got this image in my head of knights complaining that badly maintained motorways are meaning they have to keep on changing their steed's horseshoes :p

Ruined

Explorer
12th of Chardot, yr. 150 A.V., continued

Two hours past midnight, the Hilltop Inn settled into stillness. The Thimbledown brothers had swept up and sent the patrons to their beds. Even Oren, the town lush, had taken his leave. Lanterns were doused. Mugs were washed and stacked. And nothing disturbed the serene silence.

Undisturbed did not mean unoccupied.

A small figure emerged from a hidden recess along the back wall and moved up the stairs with nary a creak. The figure’s steps were quick and purposeful in a path that had been long-practiced. The stairs turned and opened into a vacant hallway. Scented oil lamps spilled light down the hall, revealing eight doors, four to each side. The figure moved to the closest lamp and climbed on a small stool beneath, grateful the inn was run by other halflings. Liam reached up and turned the key. The wick dropped and the flame guttered out, dimming the hall.

Liam gently leaned up against one door, placing an ear to the wood. Steady sounds of breathing issued from the room, occasionally punctuated with rasping snores. Satisfied, he moved to the door across the hall and knelt down to face the lock. Small hands worked with deft precision to open the lock without a sound.

The door opened, throwing only a soft illumination into the room. Liam glanced in, noting the two sleeping females and the wolf. I would have to choose the room with the overgrown dog, he thought. He pulled the door almost closed, allowing only a sliver of light into the room.

The room itself revealed something of the occupants. Behind a rocking chair in the corner stood a long spear and a curved scimitar. Two backpacks lay open near the chair, revealing travel-stained clothing. Liam methodically sorted through the backpacks, but took nothing from them.

Liam moved up to the bed where the human female slept. A glimmer had caught his eye as he inspected the room. He moved slowly, so as not to wake her or especially the dog that slept at her feet. There was a faint gleam of red and gold at her breast that caught the light from the door. Gently he pulled the sheet back to get a better look. If only he found human women more attractive, then this would be more entertaining than frightening.

“I HAVE LEARNED WHAT I NEED!” a voice boomed in his head. He tensed, fearing that the sleepers would surely hear this mental outburst. ”YOU MAY LEAVE NOW.” As the voice faded in his mind, he opened one eye, looking for signs of movement from the dog or the females.

Damnable mage, using me for a focus. Some people have no respect for the arts.

Satisfied that the sleepers were unaware of his entrance, and given the orders from his master, Liam retraced his steps back to the door. He closed the door behind him, and soon had left the comforts of the Hilltop Inn.

Ruined

Explorer
13th of Chardot, yr. 150 A.V.

“The door was unlocked, I tell you,” Tréan said as she drizzled honey onto a crusty heel of bread. The trio was seated at the same table they had the night before. Breakfast had been laid out before them, a luxurious meal of black bread, poached eggs, and pork sausages.

“You’re sure you just didn’t forget to lock it?” Gerad asked. Tréan set down the piece of bread and looked at Gerad as if he had foregone his armor to wear a flowery dress.

“Darling, in all of the times we’ve spent on our travels, have I ever let my guard down?” Gerad chose not to respond. “We locked that door last night.”

“Anything missing?” Gerad mumbled as he stuffed another sausage into his mouth.

“No,” Surielle said. “That’s what makes it so disturbing.”

“Well, if Snowmelt didn’t hear anything, then I wouldn’t worry too much. She’d eat anyone alive that tried to attack you.” Gerad slyly glanced at the patrons before flipping a sausage to the wolf.

The group continued to eat in silence, pondering their course of action for the day. Surielle had suggested inquiring with the vintners around town, the older the better. Long-lived residents may know more about their legendary wizard than the younger villagers. They looked up as a halfling approached their table.

“Good morning, folks,” he said, smiling. “How have you found Oakdale so far?”

“It’s been pleasant so far. We just arrived last night.” Tréan replied.

“Good to hear. My name is Liam.” Casual introductions, first names only, were spread around the table. Liam pulled up an offered chair and sat at one end of the table.

“So what brings you to our quaint little town?”

“Simple travelers with an interest in history. We thought we’d tour your town and inquire about tales of the past.” Another lie. She hated to tell so many, but it was necessary.

“Truly so?” Liam asked. He had helped himself to a bowl of almonds the serving girl had brought with their food and cracked them open with relish. “Well, you might be in luck. My employer is well versed in the history of Oakdale. In fact, he’d probably be willing to talk to you should you have the time.”

“And what is your employer’s name, dear?”

“Ah, names are never that important, now are they?” Liam looked up from the table and smiled.

Tréan was about to answer that indeed they were when she caught sight of the shape Liam had formed on the table. It was the letter ‘K’ formed out of cracked almond shells. She met eyes with Surielle, who also was looking at the letter. Could he be an agent of Kelkarrin?

“No dear. I suppose they are not.”

“So you will join us, then? Excellent. Just find me over by the bar when you’ve finished breaking your fast,” said Liam as he brushed aside the shells.

He hopped from the chair and sauntered over to the bar, quickly engaging in conversation with Erich Thimbledown.

“You think he knows Kelkarrin?” Gerad asked. He too had noted the letter Liam had drawn.

“It’s the best lead we have had so far.”

“But can we trust him?” Surielle asked.

“Doubtful,” Tréan said, “but it hasn’t stopped us thus far.”

Their halfling guide led them out of the city to the East. It was another scorching day, with no sign of rain anytime soon. They could see the vineyards begin to stretch out before them, but Liam turned off of the main road before they got too far. He carried them up a Northern path that seemed well tended but seldom traveled.

Tréan watched Liam with caution. She didn’t fear violence from the halfling, but her senses were sharpened for any sign of ambush or treachery. They engaged in simple conversation as they walked, never touching upon the serious topics that burned in all their minds.

As they crested a hill that placed them beyond sight of the village, Liam slowed to a stop. The grass-covered area was away from the wealth of vineyards and farmlands. Liam searched the ground for something while the others waited patiently.

“Here is the part you might have problems with,” Liam said. He smiled at the trio and took three steps forward. He reached out into the air and grasped something. He twisted his hand and pulled, revealing a door. Tréan could hear gasps from those beside her. Her own eyes wanted to slide away from the door and look elsewhere, as if they were being coerced.

“Yes, an invisible tower, just like in ‘tales of the past’,” Liam said, subtly reminding Trean of her earlier falsehood. “As you’ve probably guessed by now, Kelkarrin values his privacy. Come on, follow me.” And with that, he stepped into the doorway and disappeared.

“Should we?” Tréan asked. Surielle kept her eyes fixed on the doorway as she responded.

“I think this is what we’ve been after all along.”

ledded

Herder of monkies
theRuinedOne said:
<snip>
“Should we?” Tréan asked. Surielle kept her eyes fixed on the doorway as she responded.

“I think this is what we’ve been after all along.”
Urk. Sounds like 'famous last words' :)

Ruined

Explorer
Surielle Moonshade said:
This is a great read. I'm glad you picked it back up again. Keep up the excellent work!

Good to see you here, Surielle. =) I'm catching up, mostly thanks to your and the other players' encouragement.

ledded said:
Urk. Sounds like 'famous last words' :)

Heh heh. Yeah, at this point they didn't have much compunctions about entering the invisible tower. Of course, Liam was being played by a friend of mine (who is quite charismatic), so that may have helped. =)

New update either late today or tomorrow.

Ruined

Explorer
I'm trimming the next update as I post this. It's a sizeable piece of dialogue. Once I run it by my editors, I should have it posted this afternoon (EST). :)

Ruined

Explorer
13th of Chardot, yr. 150 A.V., continued

Among the companions, the feeling in the room was a mixture of hope and fear. Surielle could read it on her friends’ faces. She felt the same – after all of the travels and the dread of pursuit, here was an opportunity for answers and perhaps release from their troubles. It would all depend on what kind of man Kelkarrin was.

Liam had led them into the magically obscured tower, revealing a rather plain and utilitarian structure inside. Surielle had expected talking paintings and animate gargoyles, but they had found the interior to be quite mundane. Liam had scoffed at such questions – wasn’t an invisible tower enough of a wonder?

The group now sat at a table that could seat twelve guests. Another had joined them – a painfully thin man named Nieman. He was introduced as an apprentice to Kelkarrin. It was obvious to Surielle that he held little concern for her group and noticeable contempt for Liam. She found herself wondering about the history of their association.

As Surielle watched, a white ferret with pinkish eyes emerged over Nieman’s left shoulder and glared at her group, its scrutiny matching that of its owner. Snowmelt, who had been sitting quietly behind her, now moved up to the table and sniffed in the ferret’s direction. As she turned to warn off her wolf, a door opened at the far end of the room, revealing a robed man marked by a black and silver beard. He walked with an air of authority – this tower surely belonged to him.

“So, you’ve been searching for me. I truly hope it is for a good reason.”

Surielle and the others were caught off guard by his entrance. Tréan was the first to respond.

“We’ve been tasked with finding you. We find ourselves in great need, and our troubled path has led us here.”

“Who are you?” he asked. Introductions were quickly given around the room. “And who sent you to find me?”

“If I may approach…?” Surielle was already standing. She could feel the amulet growing cold upon her breast. The wizard watched her intently, but did not answer her request. She took a tentative step towards him, then another. As she moved, the cold from the red-and-gold amulet grew in intensity. She hoped the effect was the missive that she had discerned in the woods that day, and not some dangerous magic meant for the wizard. She was five paces away from the wizard now. And then the voice began.

“Tishragh ek ain tendo. Gorest Kelkarrin amn fuut tay credendos quey…”

All eyes were upon Surielle as the amulet recited the dying words of Marus, Gerad’s mentor in Quelsk. The memories of his bloodstained hands grasping her arms and begging this favor returned fresh into her mind. Still she could not understand the language that he dictated to her. Kelkarrin had stepped towards her, his gaze intent upon the amulet. She hoped that he could make sense of the stream of words before they were gone. Within moments, the last of the words had emanated from the amulet. Surielle could begin to feel the cold lessen upon her skin as the echoes died down.

“Was that Ancient Ledean?” Gerad asked. She knew he had spent time within the Ledean training schools in his youth. Perhaps he knew some of the language.

“I believe so,” Nieman answered, suddenly interested in both the message and purpose of their group.

Kelkarrin waved his fingers at the group, and walked from the chamber lost in thought. Surielle turned to look at those remaining in the room. Tréan and Gerad had looks of surprise, unaware that she carried a message for the wizard. Nieman was talking to himself, trying to piece out words from the missive. Yet Liam had the greatest look of concern, his halfling features having paled.

“Was that voice…? Was it Marus?” he asked, looking up at her. She nodded slowly.

“You knew Marus?” Gerad answered. “He was my mentor in Quelsk.”

“Yes. He actually brought me to Kelkarrin so that I could study the arts. He was also an apprentice under Kelkarrin.”

Surielle watched as the two began to compare notes, dreading the question that would come. From the door where Kelkarrin had left, Marus’ words drifted toward her distantly, as if the mage had summoned them from the abyss.

“So why did Marus not come himself?” Liam asked. No one answered at first, both looking at her. Surielle had borne the message for him, and so she would speak of his passing.

“He was grievously wounded when I found him. His request and this message were the last words he spoke.”

Gerad took charge of the conversation from there, recounting how he knew Marus and how his death had come about. Kelkarrin returned to the room, but did not interrupt the tale. His face saddened at the news of his student’s death.

“I have transcribed his message,” Kelkarrin said to break the silence following Gerad’s tale. “He spoke of a grave discovery, one he felt that I should know of. The missive was meant for mine ears alone, but you have traveled far for his words. You should know what it is he said.”

There were no protests. Kelkarrin read from a piece of foolscap upon which he had hastily scrawled the words.

“This should be known to you, Kelkarrin. A piece of the Globe of Aggamar has been found. It was dredged up by fishing boats in the Blossoming Sea, and now resides in Calastian hands. I had planned to seek your guidance on this, but alas, I cannot.”

“What is the Globe of Aggamar?” Tréan asked.

“The name is familiar, but I cannot recall. I have many tomes here which I can research and hopefully gleam more information.”

“It was something Marus was willing to die for,” Gerad said.

“Yes,” Kelkarrin replied, “and I shall not take this lightly. If you wish to remain as my guests for a few days, I hope to shed more light on this matter. We can also speak of recompense for your journey.”

“Your hospitality is kind,” Surielle began and then hesitated. “You should know that our steps have been followed to Oakdale.” The old man looked up at her with displeasure.

“I have taken great efforts, as you can see, to conceal my presence in this town. Who follows you?”

She told the story of their flight from Quelsk with occasional help from the others. The three inhabitants of the tower listened intently. Kelkarrin's initial apprehension towards the party seemed to melt away as she told of their harrowing journey. When she finished, Kelkarrin turned to Liam.

“You had best cover their tracks into the village.”

“I’ll go have a talk with my snitch, Blackwater, on the morrow,” Liam said.

“We met him, when we first came into the city.” Tréan said. Liam grumbled.

“Then I should do this soon. Today, perhaps?”

“I’ll go with you,” Gerad offered. “Perhaps we can speak more of our dear departed friend.”

Last edited:

Remove ads