• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Scars Run Deep (Updated - 3/29/2004)

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
It's your story hour, so don't change on my account, but the color you've chosen for your dialogue renders the whole thing unreadable for me. I think it's one of my migraine-related vision sensibilities, like tight patterns of parallel lines.

Good luck, though. I've heard good things about it. Just feeling jealous because I miss out.

Silas

First Post
D-dog...try and copy/paste what you want to read to MS Word or whatever...can change the text there and read it. On my laptop the text is hard as hell to read but on my desktop I love it

Ruined

Explorer
Hmm. Well it was neat to play with for a short while, but I might switch it back to standard colors. I'd rather make it more accessible for the masses than to 'look cool'.

I have a compiled version of the up-to-date story hour (sans color tags) in Word, if you want to catch up in the meantime. Just email me or respond to the thread and I'll send it on.

Ruined

Explorer
I sent the file on yesterday Dinkeldog. Hope it found you. This post has the colors removed. I'm gonna look at it and debate (it is easier to post this way).

This section, the introduction to young Surielle, is a bit different from your typical game beginning. It does set up things for her, as you'll see in following chapters. It was fun to run something this different, as you'll see.

---------------------------------------------------------

Surielle – 19th of Madrer, yr. 141 AV

“I don’t smell food. Why haven’t you cooked yet?”

Surielle looked with surprise at her father as he walked into the kitchen unannounced. She immediately felt a twinge of guilt for not having cooked yet. She had been taking her time tending to her brother Tomlin, but it was still mid-afternoon.

“I’m sorry father, but it is early. I’ll start on it now.”

He grumbled and walked by her, leaving the aroma of whiskey trailing behind. It wasn’t so out of the ordinary for him to smell that way - they grew the grain that was malted to make some of the best whiskey in Fernmag - but she could tell that he had been sampling the mix. It was the look in his eyes that told her the truth.

She hoped that the whiskey was the cause for his recent string of bad moods. Karn Hammond had never been one for violence, but his ire had been directed at Surielle for over a month now. The birth of her brother Tomlin had been a bright spot for them all; a child they did not think would be born. In the months afterwards, her father’s moods had seemed to darken, and now he found fault with everything she did.

Later that evening, Surielle worked to clean the kitchen while her parents spent time with Tomlin. Mother had returned late as usual, her work in Fernmag keeping her out longer now as she resumed her work. Father overlooked the fields and organized the farmhands that worked for them while mother tended the arrangements with those who fermented and bottled the whiskey in Fernmag. She was respected in town for her uncanny book sense. Surielle would not follow in her footsteps, her mind more on nature and the healing arts.

Sounds of an argument spilled from the other room, accompanied by the cries of Tomlin. This happened often in their household. Surielle had grown numb to it, but she hated when her father upset her brother like this.

“… damnable Ban Urmadna… those Denev-worshippers...”

Surielle knew he spoke of her. She had heard those words, the Ban Urmadna, from him before, yet she knew not what they meant. Her mother had been silent on the issue, but Surielle was determined to learn the truth. A few questions asked among the elders of the city had given her the answer. When she found it, the truth had almost been too much to deal with.

In Fernmag, and much of Darakeene, the Ban Urmadna was an age-old rite for families with difficulties bearing a child. Another woman could be brought into the house to help the father conceive a child if the wife was barren. Had her parents done this? Was she born of another woman? It seemed a lie without substance, but the more she pondered it, the more Surielle could see it. Her mother had flaxen hair, while hers was a dark shade of reddish-brown. She bore other features that seemed to pull more from her father, but in truth she did not resemble either. Tomlin, on the other hand, bore a striking resemblance to Surielle’s mother, with large blue eyes and wispy blonde hair.

She had confronted her mother one morning with this information and the truth came about. When younger, her mother could not get with child, and so they had found an outsider, a woman from the Keltai tribe to the north. They had brought her into the house, and soon enough, her belly swelled with child. Surielle could see the jealousy still in her mother’s eyes at mention of this. Her birth mother’s name was Amara; that was all she would tell her. She forbade her to visit or even approach the Keltai. The memory remained, though.

The door to the kitchen flew open and her father stormed forward, eyes focused on her. He ripped the dish cloth from her hands and pointed to the outside door.

“Get out. You are no longer welcome here, you ungrateful witch!”

Surielle stepped back in surprise. What had brought this on?

“You want me to… leave?" She turned to her mother. “Mother?”

Her mother held downcast eyes and would say nothing. She turned to her raging father, and then asked her mother again.

“Just go, Surielle,” her mother said. “Go, for now.”

Surielle’s heart sank as she reeled in confusion.

“But…”

She was whisked away as her father roughly grabbed her wrist and pulled her out onto the back stoop. She fell forward onto the grass, the tears now flowing freely from her eyes.

“Never come here again!” her father roared. The next sound was of the door being closed behind her, and muted arguments from inside the house.

Surielle lay there for moments, confused, grief-stricken, and frightened. She was only fourteen. How would she survive?

The weakness faded, replaced with newfound determination. She would find a way. This would work itself out somehow. She rose from the ground, and moved through the yard. She considered a walk into the city, but it was foolish to walk in the night with the chance that titanspawn could steal her away. She was old enough to know that the tales of vangarauk and hill giants roaming Darakeene were not merely lies to scare children. Glancing about the field, she spied the barn where father kept the horses. That would have to do.

The sound of braying horses roused Surielle from her fitful sleep. The night had not been a horrible dream – she was still here in the loft of the barn. She pulled a few pieces of straw from her hair, smoothed her dress the best she could, and descended to the floor of the barn. The horses were still stabled, so it was likely that her father had not left the house yet.

After looking about for signs of her parents and finding none, Surielle skirted across the yard to the side of their house. Her timing was almost ill-fated, for as soon as she reached the corner, the door swung open and her father exited the house. She held her breath, and fortunately he did not see his daughter. As he moved with purpose out towards the barn, she slipped behind him and silently entered the house.

She heard the sounds of her brother Tomlin gurgling happily in his room. She didn’t want to lose her family, but most of all she would miss him. She had practically raised the child after mom had finished nursing him. Tomlin would probably never know her, with her being forced to leave now.

She slipped past her parent’s room, catching a glimpse of her mother prettying herself with a hand mirror. Surielle ducked into her room, and pushed the door to behind her. Minutes passed and soon she heard her mother leave the house with Tomlin, heading to town. Sparing no time, she found a sheet, and quietly placed a few blankets and clothes inside of it. Satisfied with what she had, she left her room and stopped in the kitchen. She grabbed a few loaves of bread she had baked herself. She would not starve that easily.

Surielle gave her mother time to move up the road towards Fernmag, and then followed after her. She wanted the chance to speak to her mother away from her father. Perhaps she could reason with her, and some arrangement could be made to get her back in the house.

She followed her mother, keeping to the trees lining the rock-strewn road. Soon the trees were replaced by worn buildings that had stood since the end of the Divine War. Many of the buildings had been abandoned for years, but the rising popularity of whiskeys produced here had brought new business and livelihood to a diminishing town.

Her mother took a different path than normal this morning. Surielle thought it odd, but mayhap she was finding someone to watch after Tomlin, who was bundled in her arms. Trying to appear casual, Surielle followed until her mother walked up to a building that seemed more an office than a residence. She waited at the door for a moment, then it opened and she was ushered inside by an unseen person.

Surielle’s curiosity overcame her need to talk to her mother, and within moments she found herself leaning up to a window in the rear of this building. Her balance was not what it should have been, and she fell forwards onto the sill with a bit of noise. Or maybe it was the sight she saw: her mother in a passionate embrace with a man she did not recognize - a man that was not her father.

She landed roughly against the building and slid down. The clamor did not go unnoticed, and soon the man was looking out the window, looking for the cause of the sound. By that time, Surielle had fled into the streets. She ran at a hectic pace, caring not in the direction which her feet took her.

Her father hated her for what she was. Her mother… who knew what her mother was doing behind their backs. Surielle had no one to turn to, and nowhere to go.

Never go to the Keltai village north of the city. They are not good people.

The words echoed in her mind, spoken by a woman who no longer seemed fit to judge others. A woman who was not truly her mother…

Last edited:

Ruined

Explorer
Another one for the masses. I might have to enlist in an editor as this goes on. I look at the length of the sections, and it seems so wordy...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Gerad – 2nd of Madrot, yr. 143 AV

Gerad instructed his brothers and the men of the other lances to the current fate of Krasburgh. Some had asked him to come along for the fun, but he had passed. Opportunities for theft and possibly rape did not attract him, even if they were standard reward to soldiers. Leaving them to their pursuits, he found himself in a country tavern, pondering the day’s conflict over a drink.

Some of the others soldiers had overrun the tavern, emptying the remaining stores that the Skirmishers had not stolen. It was meager offerings, but the men appreciated a chance to relax. Gerad kept a table to himself. He would have welcomed his brothers to sit down, but the other soldiers chose not to. They knew that Gerad was a Janissary, born to service. There was some distinction between the Janissaries and those men who had chosen to enlist in the Hegemony. It was hard to define, but it was there nonetheless.

One of the louder men from the second lance approached Gerad and gave him a hearty slap on the back. His name was Gallish. Gerad could smell the musky sweat surrounding the young man.

“Not out enjoying yourself with the ladies, Gerad? Some of them are very happy to see a real man instead of those mercenaries.”

Gallish shared a laugh with a few of men from his lance. Gerad gave him no response, savoring the sharp taste of the Darakeene whiskey. Hopefully, this ignorant braggart would simply leave him be.

“Oh, my pardons, Gerad. I guess you Janissaries don’t go for that.” Gallish paused for a moment. Perhaps he was reconsidering the dangerous road he traveled. “Is it true, what they say? I hear that they ‘unman’ you as boys?”

Gallish’s smile withered as Gerad rose from his chair.

Gerad – 10th of Enkilot, yr. 147 AV

Gerad turned his head slightly, surveying the men surrounding him without breaking attention. Ten lances in crescent formation was an impressive sight to behold. His eyes stopped for a second on Gallish, now the leader of the second lance. His misshapen nose distinguished him among the similarly armored soldiers. It brought back vague memories of Gerad’s first battle, so many years before.

Standing before the amassed unit was Commander Vagren, their superior for the past year. Dmitri had been elevated to field and oversee larger units for Calastia. It was a promotion long overdue, but it did not change the fact that Gerad and his brethren missed him. Vagren was a skilled tactician, but he seemed to lack the sheer determination that Dmitri possessed.

Vagren was introducing them to an experienced unit of Charduni that would be overseeing a series of engagements. Gerad did not stare, but this was his first time seeing the race of dark-skinned dwarves. Their skin ranged from grey to black in color, and for most it was contrasted by wild tufts of red, orange, or yellow hair. They only stood four feet in height, but Gerad was not fooled; their stocky forms belied great strength.

One of the charduni walked forward to stand beside Commander Vagren and address the army. His skin was darkened iron, accented by orangish-blonde hair and eyebrows. Rising from his back was a thick staff that held a round mallet at its end. Gerad noted with interest that the mallet was decorated with hair and drawings that made it resemble its owner.

“I am Davrok Warstone, field lieutenant. We root out titanspawn threats that encroach into peaceful territories such as Ankila. There is such a threat here that will require your aid.”

His voice sounded as rough as his skin looked. His presence captivated the men’s attention, much moreso than Vagren.

“Slitheren, the foul rat-men, have been found less than two day’s ride from this position. We will not allow them a foothold in Ankilan territory as they have in other countries. We will instruct you men in the ways of fighting under the earth, and the tactics of these cowardly foes.”

Warstone covered a few more details, then let the men at ease so they could meet the charduni who would travel with them. Gerad walked forward to greet Warstone, and found his handshake to be tremendously strong. Standing closer to him, Gerad noted that his skin truly did look like rock. When asked, Gerad introduced himself.

“Gerad Cademon. I’ve heard your name mentioned. They call you the Scourge, do they not?”

“They do.” It was not a monicker that Gerad liked, but battle had proven it an apt name. No enemies walked away from his fury.

“It is a good thing. When men quake in fear at your name, then you know you are truly blessed by Chardun.”

The largest rat-man that Gerad had seen so far lunged out of the darkness at his group. Many of the slitheren had only reached his chest in height, yet this one was nearly seven feet tall. His brothers raised a cry at their new enemy, and Tahni, damn his hide, dropped the lantern. It did not shatter, but instead rolled along the cavern floor, playing light across the walls and the combatants. Tahni would be punished if they survived this day. Levi would never have made such a mistake.

The rat-man smashed Gerad in the chest with a ball mace, but his armor soaked most of the fearsome blow. Gerad had quickly learned to despise fighting in these caves - there was not enough room to effectively wield the spears he carried. Instead he fought with shield and short sword, as were his brothers.

Gerad knew the others were pinned behind him, so the only way they could help was to move this beast. He roared and lowered his head, slamming his shield into the oversized rat-man. The rat-man squealed, foaming spittle flying from its mouth, as Gerad pushed it backwards until they met with a cavern wall. The slitheren fought, trying to bite over the shield, but Gerad kept it pinned as his brothers ran forward to assist.

This slitheren was immensely strong, probably bred for strength by the smaller fiends. Gerad would not have kept him there for long, but Leon and Pazzi had arrived and stabbed the beast from each side, while Tahni retrieved the fallen lantern. It took a number of hits that would have easily slain the smaller slitheren, but in the end it fell in a bloody heap of fur. Gerad spat upon the dead beast as the others ensured it would not rise again.

This would have been a good time for the strength of Barrikk, but he had been an early casualty of this mission. The cowardly slitheren had attacked from the shadows, shooting crossbow bolts into his larger brother. Gerad feared that they were poisoned, for Barrikk fell to delirium too quickly. When it was apparent that Barrikk couldn’t continue, Gerad had ended his life. Better a quick death than agonizing pain drawn out over the days. Also, Warstone had warned that the rat-men kept slaves. Gerad would rather he and his brothers all die than have them enslaved by these monsters.

After cuffing Tahni for the unacceptable act of cowardice, Gerad signaled for the lance to move through another tunnel. It wound to their left and soon opened into another cavern, where another battle raged. Gerad could barely see their ally, who was surrounded by six of the rat-men. A war scepter struck out, and one of the slitheren was thrown against a wall with a sickening crunch. Gerad wasted no time in decisions, signaling to his brothers to move and assist the charduni.

Quickly Gerad found that Warstone was the oppressed Charduni within the ring of rat-men. He was bloodied, but still fighting fiercely against overwhelming odds. Gerad’s men waded into the battle, flashing swords against their foes. After a few moments, the slitheren were dead at their feet. Warstone bled from many spots where slitheren swords had slipped past his black armor. Warstone stopped and uttered a short prayer in his language, a deep rumbling that made Gerad think of stone sliding across stone. As he watched, a number of Warstone’s wounds, including a gash on his forehead, stopped bleeding and sealed without a single scar. His magic was impressive. Warstone’s eyes opened and regarded Gerad with a slight smile.

“Good timing, Scourge. I believe this campaign is nearly at and end.” He glanced around at Gerad’s men, no doubt noticing that one was missing. Then Warstone’s eyes widened, and he quickly jabbed a finger past Gerad’s shoulder. “Behind you!”

Gerad spun, as did his brothers. Standing at the edge of another tunnel was a smaller slitheren. This one had stark white fur and its eyes seemed to glint with reddish light. It bore no weapons, but Gerad quickly noted that its hands moved with a crackling black energy. He started to step forward, but halted as a painful burning sensation struck his chest and crept down his arm. He closed his eyes and fought to overcome the pain. When it had passed, he looked down, expecting to find his body charred and armor melted, but there were no burns. The only mark of the magic was a sinuous form on his left forearm. It resembled a tattoo like the mercenaries wore, but he could not discern what picture this was.

He would ponder this later. Shrugging off the haze, he ran behind his men into the next cavern. Inside they found a number of soldiers, one of the other lances, all blackened and scorched along the ground. The men looked around, but there was no sign of the slitheren who had marked him. Gerad’s eyes caught a small flicker of movement from an opening to his right. He ran forward to a tunnel that went upwards like a small chimney. He started to climb, but quickly determined that his breastplate would prevent such travel. His hands moved to unbuckle the armor, but Warstone’s restraining hand stopped him.

“The coward is gone. Let us tend to the wounded and see if the others have survived.”

Grudgingly, Gerad agreed. He wanted to capture this witch-rat and find what it had done to him. And then he wanted to kill it. Brutally.

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
Cool. Sorta Martinesque with betrayals, lost kings, tough family relations, secretive organizaions and politics-is-war type stuff.

How these people become a party I can not imagine.

Tuerny

First Post
You have a very nice story hour.... :)

It is almost intimidating to start my own Scarred Lands one due to how good your is. ;)

alas.....

madriel

First Post
Your players all came up with great backgrounds. They're a very motley group so far. I look forward to seeing how they make the party work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads