The Secrets of Lot (Recruitment)

Dr Simon

Explorer
I'd rather stick with either materials I've got or what's available in the online SRDs than shell out for more books. I was considering an Akashic (from Arcana Evolved), but actually the Factotum fits a little more with the character concept. Hmm.. Knowledge (architecture and engineering) for setting demolitions, eh? I'm beginning to think that this character was a sapper/infiltrator kind of guy in the army. I'm leaning towards Prudence and Avarice as virute and vice - slightly contradictory, which is itself interesting.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I am thinking of a half ogre with the fighter arch type: 2 handed weapon fighter. He was pressed into service into the legions for a period of time-served his term faithfully and was released from duty. while in the legions he learned loyalty and honor. His uncanny common sense is what kept him out of trouble,but his brutish strength is what served the legions.
archtype here
basic: alingment: LN
Base numbers:
Abil-cost-score
str 7 : 15
dex 3: 13
con 7: 15
int 3: 13
wis 5: 14
cha-2: 8

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
If no one objects, I would like my character to be the equestrian, with tactics as his skill, temperance as his virtue, and pride as his vice.

goblins85

First Post
Hey, thanks the responses guys! So, I'm not sure how long I keep recruitment threads, uh, recruiting. Is it until I get too many players asking to join, or do I go for a set period of time? Also, I made about 2-3 feats for each race, I'll go back and enter those at the bottom of each race's stats.

@ Dr Simon: Yeah, no reason to purchase materials if you already have another book that never gets used! Glad to see you giving me some personality to your character.

[MENTION=49929]Scott DeWar[/MENTION]: Looks *laughs* like we have someone who'll be killing his own ancestry in no time! Here are Half-Ogres.

[sblock=Half-Ogres]Half-Ogre: The half-ogre is a rare creature, generally born from a forced union. Before the Legions of Darius conquered the slave nation of Mercant, Ogres and Half-Ogres were used by the slavers as brutes of war. As a side-effect of this, the majority of Half-Ogres in Darius are solitary creatures, disliking the company of others. Many become mountain men or hermits, living by themselves in the wilderness. Others become scouts, moving on as the frontier catches up with them. Those half-ogres that do live in cities are still solitary creatures, putting their muscles to use while understanding that most civilized folk will give them a wide berth. Half-ogres have miserable tempers and are quick to anger, but those that show one kindness will never have a more loyal friend.
Play a Half-Ogre if...
• To play a giant
• To play a half-breed who is widely hated
• To play a physical powerhouse and drive your enemies before you!

RACIAL TRAITS
•Average Height: 6´ 4˝–8´ 6˝
•Average Weight: 200–335 lb.
•Ability Scores: +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom
•Size: Medium
•Speed: 30 feet
•Vision: Low-Light
•Languages: Common, Giant
•Skill Bonus: +2 Intimidate, +2 Endurance
•Powerful Build- Half-Ogres have a bit of the physique and size of their giant parentage. The ogre receives a +1 size modifier to CMB and CMD. A half-ogre is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-ogre can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of its actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
•Ogre Blood: Half-ogres count as both humans and ogres, for any effect related to race.
•Giant Subtype: Half-Ogres have the giant Subtype, and gain Intimidate and Perception as class skills.

Half-Ogre Feats:
Ferocity
Prerequisites: Half-Ogre
Benefit: When you drop to 0 grace points or fewer, you can make an immediate melee attack.

Giant’s Endurance
Your foes’ attacks bounce off your thick hide.
Prerequisite: Half-Ogre
Benefit: Once an encounter, you can reduce the amount of damage you take from any attack by 5 plus your constitution modifier. This amount increases by 5 at 9th level, and by another 5 at 15th level.

Mountain’s Spine
Prerequisites: Half-Ogre
Benefit: Your strength score is considered to be 10 points higher for the purpose of calculating your carrying capacity.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Faiths of Lot]

Faiths and Deities of Lot:
I like Eberron's Alignment system for faith; that is, you don't have to match your god's alignment to be a worshiper of that god. Paladins are still restricted to being Lawful Good.

Faith: The Church of Eternal Light
Description: The belief that the last true remaining gods are the Suns and the Moons. You can worship the whole pantheon, just the Suns (The Eternal Light) or just the Moons (The Eyes of Night).
Deities within Faith:
The Eternal Light
Name: Solqus.
Alingment: Lawful Neutral
Portfolio: The first sun, life, reason, order, hope, leadership
Domains: Knowledge, Rune, Growth, Sun, Nobility, Magic, Law, Air, Fire, Earth, Water
Name: Hyperion
Alingment: Lawful Good
Portfolio: The second sun, heroes, power, honor, courage
Domains: Glory, Protection, Strength, War, Sun, Travel, Law, Good, Air, Fire, Earth, Water

The Eyes of Night
Name: Linara
Alignment: Neutral
Portfolio: The first moon, feminity, emotion, sensation, magic
Domains: Knowledge, Magic, Trickery, Charm, Nights, Healing, Air, Fire, Earth, Water
Name: Telkwin
Alingment: Chaotic Neutral
Portfolio: The second moon, nature, animals, sexuality, hunters
Domains: Animal, Nights, Liberation, Weather, Plant, Lust, Chaos, Air, Fire, Earth, Water

Faith: The Angelothiac Church
Description: The belief that there is only one god, The Lord, and that the one true god's mandates are brought to the material plane through angels. This is the core religion of Lot. While most believe in the Truth, which holds that angels are the messengers of The Lord, some few follow the tenants of The Lie, which says that The Truth is actually a lie, and that it's an attempt by the Celestial Planes to control the material realm.
Belief Systems of the Angelothiac Church

Name: The Truth
Alignment: Neutral Good
Portfolio: Faith, Love, hope
Domains: Repose, Artifice, Community, Healing, Luck, Love, Good, Air, Fire, Earth, Water

Name: The Lie
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Portfolio: Blasphemy, Despair, Hatred
Domains: Charm, Trickery, Madness, Death, Destruction, Darkness, Evil, Air, Fire, Earth, Water

Faith: The Dragon's Truth
Description: The Dragon's Truth is more of philosophy than a religion. It dictates the edicts that all dragons follow is the way everyone should live their lives. Those who follow the way of metallic dragons believe in justice, those who believe in the way of crystal dragons believe in temperance, and those who follow the way of chromatic dragons believe in power. What follows is the philosophy of the Dragon's Truth. Few view it simply, and followers endlessly debate about what it truly means; what the casual follower believes is listed in parentheses:

1. Magic is Eternal (Magic is never born, magic never dies)
2. Life in Magic (To live one’s life in magic is the best life)
3. Life is Eternal (A dragon’s life never ends. Plan for the long run)
4. Wealth is the true life (To live one’s life truly is to live it with wealth)
5. Magic in Wealth (Within wealth, one can find magic)
6. Understanding in Absence (One must live one’s life away from others to truly understand the Dragon’s truth)
7. Absence is not Eternal (Do not live away from others forever.)
8. Magic is Love (True love is to love magic)

The Dragon's truth encompasses all things, so I will not list any alignment or portfolio or domains, but if you chose to play a character who must make such decisions, like a cleric, thematically tie your choice back to the list above. Dragonshamans and Dragon Riders must follow the Dragon's truth.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

ok, been thinking on this: I am afraid that the direction the half ogres are sent to, sniffing out children/virgins, that may not be the idea of a campaign for me. I am retracting my request to join.

goblins85

First Post
[MENTION=49929]Scott DeWar[/MENTION]: Of course, you can make that choice, but I honestly just added that ability at the last second for flavor (Like, I added it today, and got the idea from the witch hex child scent. I looked at it, thought, "Maybe they hunted valuable slaves before the Legions freed them," and replaced animals with virgins, because I thought choosing nothing but women was possibly sexist. I also was reminded of all the fairy tale I heard as a child, about Ogres sniffing out children to eat and what have you, and thought virgins was equally despicable). Not only can I remove it (I did) if it makes you uncomfortable (I don't think it balances or unbalances it in either direction), but you were never under any assumption to play your character as someone who enjoyed that aspect of their race. And the campaign wouldn't revolve around that ability. Honestly, I'd never considered what the role of Half-ogres was in my setting before, other than being big guys who people don't like because it reminds them of giants. I hope I haven't offended you, or anyone else for that matter, by adding that ability in, and you had a very interesting concept that I was looking forward to. Although I am clearly trying to pander to you, I also really hate offending people unintentionally.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

[MENTION=49929]Scott DeWar[/MENTION]:Although I am clearly trying to pander to you, I also really hate offending people unintentionally.
for starters, lets stop the pandering.

I was concerned mostly that the ability was an indicator of what the campaign was headed to. i don't roll that way. Not even if i was playing in an evil campaign. But that is not my greatest concern.

En World has what is called the grandma law: if your grandma was looking over your shoulder, would have typed that?

It is a rule set in stone since the inception of this sight by the originator. I believe that I am typing to someone that, had you known of this law fully you probably would never had typed that. So, can we get maybe a mulligan here on that write up on half-ogres?

goblins85

First Post
I'll take it! Also, I went and read the Forum rules, and will keep them in mind.

I can't believe I said pandering. :blush: However, everything I said is true, I really did come up with the campaign specific flavor text for Half-Ogres a moment before posting. I did a quick edit of the half-ogre, and I think it flows better now, sans-oddness.

I think I have an odd enough setting, and house rules, that I'm not going to get many more people opting to join. I'll just need to turn down the CR on encounters. Let me just place some forum-posting guidlines, and I'd like to see your completed characters! Ask me any questions ya might have about that.

[sblock=No longer valid]As far as posting, I expect you to post at least once a day on weekdays, and at least once on the whole weekend. I know that ya'll have lives, I have one as well, there are holidays, meetings, finals, funerals, etc., so I will be pretty lenient if you tell me about when you will be unavailable, if it isn't very often. [/sblock]Since I'm new to DMing PbP games, I will be looking to you guys to guide me on proper posting etiquette.

Last edited:

Remove ads