The Secrets of Lot (Recruitment)

goblins85

First Post
[MENTION=2469]rangerjohn[/MENTION]: Ooh! I never saw that before! Because it can do Piercing and Slashing, let us go with that. I'll go back and make changes to proficiencies and free gear.

[sblock=Issue of Slavery]Seeing as how it will come up in the game, I'd like to address the issue of slavery within Darius society. Since I am basing this off of Rome, recall this: Rome was great because it pillaged and plundered other countries, and took the citizens of those conquered countries as slaves. It wasn't pretty, and it wasn't nice, but this is the truth. I disagree with Ultimate Combat stating that only the most evil and decadent of societies enjoy watching people fight to the death. Now, if your character opposes slavery, I'm very okay with that, in fact, I love it from a roleplaying perspective. I love it even more if your character is the reason, by the game's end, why it is no longer socially acceptable. Recognize that some people in the game world will look at you like you are nuts. They were raised to think it is okay, and if you read on, you will see why. I am not trying to glamorize slavery in any of its forms, find it disgusting, and I recognize that an underground slave market still exists today, within first world countries even.[/sblock]

[sblock=The Fall of Mercant, the slaver nation]
Directly to the north of the kingdom of Myst was the nation of Mercant. Mercant was known for three things: The money it produced, the fact that it was controlled by goblinoids, and that it's wealth was found in its strength as a slaver nation. The Blues, psionic goblins, controlled the political structure of the nation, the hobgoblins controlled its commerce, Bugbears controlled its military, and goblins were the common citizenry. While Mercant slave hunters didn't attack cities, they would wipe out whole towns on the outskirts. They bred Kobolds to strip mine Mercant, Ogres to act as work horses, and Half-Ogres as brutes.

When Myst fell to Darius's legions, Remus went on to conquer Mercant. Normally, such a task would have been daunting, but when the Blues lost their psionic abilities, it caused a power vacuum. The in-fighting left Mercant weak. As it became apparent that Mercant would fall, Darius's legions grew large with solider-slaves made up of those who used to be slaves of Mercant. The deprogramming of those ex-slaves of Mercant was easy, as they were given a chance at freedom serving Darius. Soon enough, Mercant fell to the legions's might.

Remus made a deceleration that after hundreds of years of slavery, it was the goblins turn to feel the lash. All goblins would be made slaves, with no exceptions. While some objected, most felt joy at this announcement. Few were those who didn't have a family member or friend that was captured by the goblin nation.

Today, slaves are many and diverse. There are those within every religion who object to the enslavement of sentient beings, but most accept it as daily life. Most slaves are goblinoids. Some people don't appreciate that Ogres, Half-Ogres, and Kobolds were not slavers, but victims like everyone else, and they face adversity at every turn. As far as none goblinoid slaves go, they are considered prisoners of war. These people rejected Darius conquering their nation, and refused to become Solider-Slaves in exchange for their freedom. Those who were strong became gladiators, those who were not became slaves to serve the nation in a public capacity. Some few, the weak, the old, the infirm, were sent to death (though assurances were made that their end was humane), as were those who proved to be impossible or too costly to enslave, such as powerful wizards and druids. In the private enterprise, only goblinoids and some monstrous evil humanoids, like minotaurs, are sold. Experimentation at binding the very soul of those slaves has begun, to fuel the power behind golems and powerful machines. Some say it is evil. Others say that because the souls they capture are evil, there is no evil being done. The debate rages on.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Ok, i would like to participate, but i have a couple of Real Life (gah! those pesky interruptions-keeping me from taking over the world!!!) issues, one of which is a punctured hand that makes typing very difficult.

sorry.

Dr Simon

Explorer
For the record I'm still interested but life is very busy at the moment so I haven't had much chance to sit down and think about the game. I wouldn't be able to make that posting schedule anyway - I'm on most days but not always with enough time to tend all the games that I'm involved with (and I think you'll find that's the case with most people on these boards), plus I don't always have time to post at the weekend.

goblins85

First Post
The posting schedule I put up was actually the one I saw suggested here. So, once a day is too ambitious? Like I said, I've never ran a PbP, posting etiquette is unknown to me.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Here's the thing, it depends on how you define posting. The posting you, I, and the others have been doing is one thing. A full IC post every day is a whole other ball game. Many come here to decompress and chat, that is vastly different than full on gaming every day. More realistic is expect one to two IC posts per week. On another note, weekend posts go way down. Probably not even 1% of weekday totals.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Put it this way, I'm running Curse of the Crimson Throne. We're about 3/4 of the way through the second installment, after about three years of play. And that's been a fairly fast game.

If you take small adventure chunks, where goals can be achieved in a couple of months of play, everything seems to move a lot faster. Big mega-dungeon type adventures tend to slow down the most, especially with lots of combat.

Remove ads