• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Shadows

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Angelina and agent Brown get outside, deciding to use the fastest route, which is the remains of the large scenic window. You can clearly see the that the agent had stood right in the way of the beast and it had slashed him with it's claws. Four huge long wounds run diagonally across his stomach and chest. The two agents are mostly trying to put pressure on the whole area to prevent him from bleeding to death. A third one is already running from the frontyard with a paramedic pack that they had in one of the cars. The only female agent of the group sees you and a flicker of hope comes to her voice as she speaks with her hands deep in blood. "The ambulance is already coming but if you can do anything, please."

Meanwhile, the guys inside have some time to catch their breath and change some serious words.

Shayuri

First Post
Angie nods at the female agent, feeling the 'doctor's mask' slip soundly into place. It was a sort of artificial calm and confidence, an air of authority as well. Questions of monsters and so on faded into the background; ignored but not forgotten. Now was the business of saving lives.

"You're doing exactly the right thing," she tells her in a calm, almost conversational tone meant to soothe. "Now, on the count of three, we're going to switch. You've seen Raiders of the Lost Ark, right? This is going to be just like when he swaps the sand for the idol. You move your hands, I put mine on. When that happens, I'd like you to help open up the medical pack there, and hand me the things I ask for."

She gives the agent a rock-steady, confident smile.

"We're going to save his life."

(Feel free to roll if you like...not sure what combination of Medicine and attribute to use. :) As she treats him, she'll want to use her Pathology training (that's her medical specialty) to analyze the claw marks and see if they're like anything else she's seen or heard of.)

Walking Dad

First Post
Dj

"You remember the 'you don't need to know' bull? What I will say, is that the three cases in NYC are not the only ones. And that the other victims looked more like canine and not bear attacks.
Now is your turn. What do you really think it was? I don't mind crazy. I have seen the thing myself."
DJ says as he fumbles for a cigarette.

Walking Dad

First Post
Dj

DJ stops fumbling for his cigarette, remembering, that he tries to quit. "I think the same, but this is not the damned X-Files! I cannot say more at the moment, but please take my card. I will look after my friend now."

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
An eternity later it seems, Angie has managed to get the agent patched pretty good. He's critical, but at least he'll live until the ambulance get's there. Another eternity waiting and it finally arrives. The paramedics take a look at the patching and nod. Regocnicing the handywork of a professional the other comments. "Good work doctor, we'll take it from here on."

Now that she has time to consider the evidence she gathered from the wounds, it seems her initial reaction was right. That was no bear. There were four wounds, which correspond more to a wolf, or if humans had such nails, to a human. But the wounds are so large and far apart that it can't have been.

DJ and Jericho are done with their little conversation when Agent Hall returns inside. "Hell, we lost it. It ran faster than I've ever seen anything. Smith, you and detective here got a good look on it? What the hell was it?"

Jemal

Adventurer
Jericho exchanges a glance with Smith at the agent's question. "We were just discussing that, I think your party line's gonna have to stay with 'bear' until we find out more."

Shayuri

First Post
"If that's the story," Angelina says, coming back in. "Then you'd better make some calls to the hospital. Because no one who treats that officer will think for an instant it's a bear wound."

She glowers at the agents, each in turn, as she strips off her bloody rubber gloves and puts on fresh ones.

"The wounds were clearly made by claws. The amount of tissue trauma and tearing confirm that it wasn't knives or blades. But the distance between the lacerations is not consistent with any kind of animal."

Angie raises her hand and spreads her fingers apart. "It'd work with a HAND. A really big hand. But generally speaking, hands don't have claws. So you see the problem."

Walking Dad

First Post
Dj

"They believed the weatherballoon. They will believe a mutated bear story. But I hope they find enough material to do a DNA check. And this should be handled more privat." DJ says to his boss, nodding at the direction of the ambulance.

Shayuri

First Post
"They?" Angie asks. "Who do you think you're talking to? I'm one of them. All right? I want to know what that thing was! So far, all I've heard is what it wasn't. Let me make a list, so you don't repeat yourself."

She holds up a finger. "It's not a weather balloon." Another one goes up. "It's not a bear, mutated or otherwise."

"Since you're making up cover stories, I can only assume you have some idea what it was, and since it nearly took my head off, I think I have a right to know!"

Remove ads