The SHARK HOBGOBLIN

mmadsen

First Post
Since we already described the Khandar a bit, I thought we might describe the Nagamaki, since it's not a common weapon.

The Katana is of course the classic samurai sword. The Naginata is a Katana on a stick, a polearm with a long sword blade on the end. The Nagamaki is something in between, like a Katana with a three-foot hilt.

Oddly, the Nagamaki only costs 8 gp and does 2d4 damage (with a x3 crit). Both the Naginata and Katana do 1d10 damage (with x3 and 19-20/x2 crits respectively), costing 10 gp and 400 gp (although a non-masterwork Bastard Sword only costs 35 gp).

Last edited:

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Don't you just love strange weapons?:) I really like Falchions, Katana's, Tulwar's, Khandar's, and Nagamaki's. I lightened the Nagamaki polearm that my Hobgoblins use, which keeps everything the same as in the book, except instead of inflicting 2d4 points of damage, I reduced it slightly to inflicting 1d8 points of damage. In the text, it says that the Nagamaki is used by mounted warriors. I just thought it was such a cool visual with an armoured Hobgoblin, swinging a gleaming Nagamaki while riding a Megaraptor! The dinosaur's head extended, jaws chomping, with dust swirling about the brightly colored dinosaur, as the Hobgoblin charges, shouting a great war-cry!

I envisioned the Hobgoblin nomadic tribes, as well as the ones settled into fortified city-states or kingdoms, as being a strange cultural blend of the ancient Persian civilization during the time of Alexander The Great, Northern India, and elements of China. Most of the later developments in Japan had their inspiration in technology and style from China, so it all seems to work rather nicely!:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

mmadsen

First Post
Hobgoblin "Dragon Knight"

I thought I might give an alternative stat write-up for the Dragon Knight too:

Hobgoblin "Dragon Knight"
6th-Level Fighter
Type: Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 6d10+6
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft. (Great Armor)
AC: 18 (+1 Dex, +7 Great Armor)
Attacks: Masterwork Khandar +7 melee; Masterwork Composite Longbow +8 ranged
Damage: Masterwork Khandar 1d10; Masterwork Composite Longbow 1d8
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ’ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +6, Ref+3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Hide -4, Listen +2, Move Silently +0, Spot +2, Climb -1, Jump +0, Ride +10, Swim -9
(Racial Bonus of +4 to Move Silently checks, Great Armor -5 Armor Check penalty, -9 Swim)
Feats: Alertness, Great Teamwork, Improved Aid, Mounted Combat, Improved Unarmed Strike, Mounted Archery, Ride-By Attack

Climate/Terrain: Temperate/Warm Land, Underground
Organization: Gang (4-9) or Warband (10-24)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil
Advancement: By Character Class

Last edited:

mmadsen

First Post
Hobgoblin "Whelp"

Before becoming "Dog Soldiers", young male Hobgoblins train as squires, or "Whelps":

Hobgoblin "Whelp"
1st-Level Fighter
Type: Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 1d10+1
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft. (Studded Leather)
AC: 14 (+1 Dex, +3 Studded Leather)
Attacks: Khandar +1 melee; Composite Longbow +2 ranged
Damage: Khandar 1d10; Composite Longbow 1d8
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ’ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref+1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +0, Listen +2, Move Silently +4, Spot +2, Climb +1, Jump +1, Ride +5, Swim -4
(Racial Bonus of +4 to Move Silently checks, Studded Leather -1 Armor Check penalty, -4 Swim)
Feats: Alertness, Great Teamwork

Climate/Terrain: Temperate/Warm Land, Underground
Organization: Gang (4-9) or Warband (10-24)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil
Advancement: By Character Class

Last edited:

mmadsen

First Post
I just thought it was such a cool visual with an armoured Hobgoblin, swinging a gleaming Nagamaki while riding a Megaraptor! The dinosaur's head extended, jaws chomping, with dust swirling about the brightly colored dinosaur, as the Hobgoblin charges, shouting a great war-cry!

Oh, I so totally agree!

Now, what I dislike about D&D, in this case, is that the min-maxing Hobgoblin has no reason to ever use a Nagamaki. It does less damage than the Khandar (2d4 vs. 1d10), is a Large weapon (rather than Medium/Large), and doesn't actually have reach.

There's always that little voice that says, "Why would he use an inferior weapons? Look at the stats!" I usually shut him up by changing the rules, e.g. ruling that a Nagamaki is just a variant Naginata.

I envisioned the Hobgoblin nomadic tribes, as well as the ones settled into fortified city-states or kingdoms, as being a strange cultural blend of the ancient Persian civilization during the time of Alexander The Great, Northern India, and elements of China. Most of the later developments in Japan had their inspiration in technology and style from China, so it all seems to work rather nicely!:)

I think this is your secret weapon, SHARK: knowledge of ancient civilizations. And you're a creative bastard. ;)

Enkhidu

Explorer
more, MOre, MORE

OK, I seen the SHARK Orc, the SHARK Ogre, and the SHARK Hobgoblin (as well as his detailed discussions on Vallorean Paladins) and find myself wanting more!

Specifically, I'd like to see the characters that all these tough and ruthless (or rough and toothless, as the case may be) baddies go up against.

From the stats of the antagonists, I'm really interested in what the heros look like.

mmadsen

First Post
Re: more, MOre, MORE

Specifically, I'd like to see the characters that all these tough and ruthless (or rough and toothless, as the case may be) baddies go up against.

Be very careful what you ask for, Enkhidu. I don't know if you're ready for SHARK's protagonists. ;)

Remove ads