• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Sudden Approach of Unexplainable Power: OOC

unleashed

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
The other thing I was thinking about doing is making it more like a dragon where they might reach adulthood just as quickly, but their dragon blood allows them to stay adults for a considerably longer period of time.
Yeah, that seems to fit better than the more traditional aging setup...think I'll go with the younger setup for both Aekalos and Keryth...especially Keryth as his time on the streets was a little long. ;)

Last edited:

unleashed

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Oh, and I should say that I am very liberal with the term "wyrm." I do not adhere to strict D&D use of wyrm as an age classification. Thus, wyrm can imply a dragon of any age - although typically it does usually mean a good sized dragon and not a piddly little small medium, or even large one. However, to call a medium dragon a "wyrm" would not be out of context - just so you know.

also, the first post has a good bit of "narrative" in it. Don't think that I'll be writing that way through the whole story. I just took a bit of creative license at the beginning to set the stage and make it feel like a story. With only one player, this should be able to read fairly easily w/o too many interruptions (because there is no worry about what the other players want to do!) But rest assured ... I'll post much like Clutches of Evil after the first.
No problem with the term wyrm, as I use it that way too, or with the narrative setup. :)

Nonlethal Force

First Post
unleashed said:
Yeah, that seems to fit better than the more traditional aging setup...think I'll go with the younger setup for both Aekalos and Keryth...especially Keryth as his time on the streets was a little long. ;)

Works for me. You can see how it feels - if it is more or less natural than your first impression of Keryth and the Drakontos. Comments welcome.

After all, maximum age isn't really a problem in D&D. Usually people don't make it or when they do the character has so long been retired that it doesn't really matter anyway. the moments of adulthood and middle age are tyically the more important of the numbers.

unleashed

First Post
Of course we'll have to assume that the age difference conversation, between Dahlia and Keryth, never happened...but that's pretty inconsequential. ;)

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Oh, I got a real good look at Complete Mage today. I can honestly say that everything in the book was really cool except the reserve feats. I think they push the envelope too far. Essentially, the balancing thing about the wizard and sorcerer is that they have very limited resources. Yes, most of their stuff (especally at high levels) can kick the pants off of most things but it is balanced because they can only do it 4-6 times per day! With reserve feats they have aspects that just aren't limited. I realize that the reserve feat effects aren't the same as the actual spell effect ... but I don't know. Something about them just didn't sit well with me. Especially the ones that allow the spellcaster to have damaging effects (like the elemental based ones).

In the end, though, I did purchase Complete Mage and Dragon Magic. So with the exception of reserve feats I think most of the other stuff should be in play. I ordered them (purchased both for $40 American online - w/free shipping - when it would've cost me $54 to buy them in the store with my store discount.) So I do have to wait for the delivery. :(

Hopefully you weren't planning on reserve feats. Considering you took Draconic Breath as one of your feats I don't think this should be an issue. I didn't notice anything in the rest of the books that warrants special comment, but I'll let you know for certain once I get them.

unleashed

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Thank God my wife accuses me of having selective memory already! :D

So, uh, what conversation about age differences?
Can't be any worse than me...that's why I keep such thorough logs. :D

It took place when Dahlia was mopping the floor, before Keryth walked her home...nothing much to it, and since you didn't remember it anyway it's already like it didn't happen. ;) :lol:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
There is a reserve feat (for example) based on acid. Essentially, it allows a caster who still has an uncast acid spell of X level to throw Xd6 (I think) at will without giving up the spell in question.

So, say I am a 3rd level character and have Melf's Acid Arrow memorize or I am a sorcerer with Melf's Acid Arrow known and a 2nd level spell slot still uncast. My caster can toss 2d6 acid orbs till the cows come home every level until Melf's Acid Arrow is cast (in the case of a wizard) or until all the 2nd level spell slots have been used for the day (in the case of a sorcerer).

Nice feats, huh? I think they give too much power to an already powerful class. Keep in mind, I only got a look at them today - I don't have the book yet in front of me.

Here is a thread on the subject if you are interested: Reserve Feat vs. Warlock Thread

I'm not so much worried about the power vs. Warlock aspect as I am in the additional power of the spellcaster increasing, though.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
unleashed said:
It took place when Dahlia was mopping the floor, before Keryth walked her home...nothing much to it, and since you didn't remember it anyway it's already like it didn't happen. ;) :lol:

*Shakes head left to right several times*

Yeah, I know. The point of feigning that I didn't remember though ... was not so that I could be reminded! :p

But that's okay. I'll pretend I wasn't reminded, too!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads