The Swords of Imarr: Midnight at the Meat & Gristle

S'mon

Legend
GM: The stone lid crashes to the floor as a wizened corpse sits upright in the coffin, clad in rotten dull robes that might once have been scarlet. A silver amulet with sapphire inset gleams on its shrunken chest as the skull swivels towards the intruders...

"YOU WILL DIE, FILTHH!!!" it screeches as it begins to clamber out... and Faoil and Hrothgar step forward and swing their greatswords into the revenant Virius.

Both broadswords strike the corpse's iron-hard flesh - Hrothgar's strike is strong and accurate yet to his amazement is almost entirely deflected, leaving only a small nick; Faoil's manages to break the revenant's skin and crush several ribs.

"BITCH! YOU WILL BE FIRST TO DIE!" yells Virius as his bony hands reach for Faoil's tender throat - she jerks back and the lunge misses.

Bernard:
"Kill it! Quickly!"

Denther and Rajero move in to strike Virius - Denther blinks as his sword strikes Virius's neck and bounces off harmlessly, it knocks aside Rajero's swing.

Round 2

Faoil backpedals away from the monster which seems to have fixated on her. She brings her greatsword round in a low arc and strikes into its already-wounded flank; more bones crunch and it gives a rattling yell, shards of bone and dried flesh spray across the flagstones. Hrothgar swings, misses. Virius' clawed hands scratch at Faoil's armoured left forearm but she manages to fend it off. She can smell it - like spices, embalmers' fluid and a faint stench of decay. Denther & Rajero attack but miss the fast-moving undead.

Actions? Only Faoil's blows seem to be having noticeable effect on the creature, though Hrothgar nicked it.

mps42

First Post
S'mon said:
GM: The stone lid crashes to the floor as a wizened corpse sits upright in the coffin, clad in rotten dull robes that might once have been scarlet. A silver amulet with sapphire inset gleams on its shrunken chest as the skull swivels towards the intruders...

"YOU WILL DIE, FILTHH!!!" it screeches as it begins to clamber out... and Faoil and Hrothgar step forward and swing their greatswords into the revenant Virius.

Both broadswords strike the corpse's iron-hard flesh - Hrothgar's strike is strong and accurate yet to his amazement is almost entirely deflected, leaving only a small nick; Faoil's manages to break the revenant's skin and crush several ribs.

"BITCH! YOU WILL BE FIRST TO DIE!" yells Virius as his bony hands reach for Faoil's tender throat - she jerks back and the lunge misses.

Bernard:
"Kill it! Quickly!"

Denther and Rajero move in to strike Virius - Denther blinks as his sword strikes Virius's neck and bounces off harmlessly, it knocks aside Rajero's swing.

Round 2

Faoil backpedals away from the monster which seems to have fixated on her. She brings her greatsword round in a low arc and strikes into its already-wounded flank; more bones crunch and it gives a rattling yell, shards of bone and dried flesh spray across the flagstones. Hrothgar swings, misses. Virius' clawed hands scratch at Faoil's armoured left forearm but she manages to fend it off. She can smell it - like spices, embalmers' fluid and a faint stench of decay. Denther & Rajero attack but miss the fast-moving undead.

Actions? Only Faoil's blows seem to be having noticeable effect on the creature, though Hrothgar nicked it.

Continuing to circle the creature, trying to stay out of it's reach and possibly even get behind it, "Master Bernard! Why do our weapons not harm this nightmare? What can we do?!"

S'mon

Legend
Round 3

Bernard shrugs grimly at Denther's words.

Faoil's sword seems well-made but otherwise unremarkable, it's possible though she had the fortune to strike a damaged portion of the corpse's iron-hard hide. Denther has no trouble circling round behind Virius, the undead seems to be ignoring him as it reaches for Faoil again.

"COME TO ME..."

Hrothgar steps up so he flanks the monster opposite Faoil, and swings with all his strength. There's a sickening crunch as what's left of Virius' rib cages stoves in - yet still he stands!

Desperately Faoil brings up her sword, but he's too close and she can't get a good strike. Icy fingers encircle her throat! Virius cackles as he strangles her (6 dmg).

Denther swings as hard as he can, hi sword passes shattered ribs and bites deep into Virius' spine - and cleaves through. Virius wails as his spine is severed. He/it falls to the floor, curling up like a dying spider. The warriors rain down blows until the corpse is thoroughly hacked apart.

Then Bernard leans down and takes the amulet from the remnants of its chest, his eyes gleaming.

"No Red Wizard was meant to have this..."

He looks up.

"Our task here is done."

mps42

First Post
"I certainly hope that the amulet was worth this," Gesturing to his, then Alyx' and Faoils' wounds. "Faoil, are you well enough to leave this hole?"

Faoiltiarna

First Post
mps42 said:
"I certainly hope that the amulet was worth this," Gesturing to his, then Alyx' and Faoils' wounds. "Faoil, are you well enough to leave this hole?"

Coughing, Faoil looks at Denther nodding her head.

"Yes, I will be more then happy to regain the surface and be done with the underground."

She turns her attention to Bernard, "Was this monstrosity controlled by the same force that has sought for me since I was a child?"

::Tag group::

S'mon

Legend
Faoiltiarna said:
Coughing, Faoil looks at Denther nodding her head.

"Yes, I will be more then happy to regain the surface and be done with the underground."

She turns her attention to Bernard, "Was this monstrosity controlled by the same force that has sought for me since I was a child?"

Bernard shakes his head.

"No... your enemy was here five thousand years and more before the Redmen and their Dark Goddess ever delved here..."

The group swiftly return to the surface, and Bernard leads the way to a well-furnished apartment off Plague Street, where a burly manservant ushers you in to a wood-pannelled study.

Bernard unlocks an iron cabinet, removing several flasks and a heavy money pouch, and putting the Amulet inside.

"Payment as promised - to you, Denther, Hrothgar, Alyx and Rajero, I each give two hundred gold pieces and a curative potion. To Lady Faoil I offer my thanks and a promise to continue my researches."

Hrothgar, Denther & Rajero each receive 200 gp and a small green flask of liquid.

Bernard:
"If there is nothing further, I bid you goodnight."

GM: I reckon I'd like to take a break here for a bit and have a think about possible future scenarios involving your PCs, you could maybe email me off-list at simontmn@ntlworld.com with ideas, if I like them I'll maybe use some of them. :) I think I probably had too many PCs in this scenario though, in future I'll most likely want to do 1 or 2 things each involving 1 or 2 PCs.
I also want to avoid it being too linear, which can be a problem in dungeon-crawls. :)

Remove ads