• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Talon of the Silver Hawk

Sidereal Knight

First Post
ergeheilalt said:
The Legends series is also out there, but I really wasn't enthralled, as they didn't particularly contribute to the series well.

IIRC, the Legends series were tie-ins for the computer RPG games based on Feist's world.

You're right, they really don't stack up to the others... But I agree that all of his other works are excellent and worth the read.

I would also suggest the trilogy he wrote with Janny Wurts, which go into more detail on the world on the other side of the Rift:

Daughter of the Empire
Servant of the Empire
Mistress of the Empire

Sirius_Black

First Post
Sidereal Knight said:
IIRC, the Legends series were tie-ins for the computer RPG games based on Feist's world.

I thought it was the Krondor series that was tied in to the computer game. The Legends series: Honoured Enemey, Murder in Lamut, & Jimmy the Hand are the ones co-authored by Feist and another writer for each work.

Sirius_Black

First Post
ergeheilalt said:
The Legends series is also out there, but I really wasn't enthralled, as they didn't particularly contribute to the series well.

See, it's the Krondor series that I felt was not very well done and did not contribute much to the Feist world. The Legends series especially Jimmy the Hand & Honoured Enemy really stood out to me as fine works.

ergeheilalt

First Post
Sirius_Black said:
See, it's the Krondor series that I felt was not very well done and did not contribute much to the Feist world. The Legends series especially Jimmy the Hand & Honoured Enemy really stood out to me as fine works.

Doh - you got me. I got them mixed up. I have yet to read the Legends series... I didn't really like the Krondor series, they could have been good, but didn't really go any where.

Erge

Sirius_Black

First Post
ergeheilalt said:
Doh - you got me. I got them mixed up. I have yet to read the Legends series... I didn't really like the Krondor series, they could have been good, but didn't really go any where.

Erge

I more than agree with you regarding the Krondor series. I mean I'm still glad to have read them, but they are very lacking when compared to his other work. Take a look at the Legend series if you get a chance. It has some interesting stories set during The Riftwar.

The Lone Badger

First Post
I liked most of Feist's other work (particularly the Empire series he co-authored), but I thought Talon was really really bad. Incredibly cliche revenge tale with a supercompetant and honourable hero, with a reprise of his old characters in a secret conspiracy - there was just nothing in the book to hold my interest. It has in fact put me off reading any of Feist's new stuff until he ditches Midkemia and starts something new and fresh.

ergeheilalt

First Post
The Lone Badger said:
I liked most of Feist's other work (particularly the Empire series he co-authored), but I thought Talon was really really bad. Incredibly cliche revenge tale with a supercompetant and honourable hero, with a reprise of his old characters in a secret conspiracy - there was just nothing in the book to hold my interest. It has in fact put me off reading any of Feist's new stuff until he ditches Midkemia and starts something new and fresh.

Good luck with that... ;)

Feist has stated that he has five riftwars planned (including the rift and serpent war) and one of those wars will be taking place in the Conclave of Shadows series. So we can expect at least one more series, as apparently, there are rumors that the Krondor series will also have a war in it.

As for the reprise of his old characters, I think it was important that were in the story. Minor Spoilers spoilers from Shards

If they left out the presence of Pug, Meranda, and the gang - it would be kinda silly. Shards of a Broken Crown ended with the declaration and formation of the Conclave of Shadows. They really couldn't have left that big gaping plot opportunity open without disappointing a lot of people. The Conclave is made up of the who's who in Midkemia, if there is going to be a rift war they are going to have some hand in it; ergo Pug and co. will be involved.

Remove ads