• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Thrills of Skills

Fetfreak

First Post
I also use groups and specializations for skills. I play in modified d20 and I took original 3.5 skills, grouped them and assigned specialization based on class. You can progress up to 4 ranks in a group and that's for basic tasks. Let's take rogue>lockpicking. A warrior or a wizard could spend points in rogue but he can't specialize. He can also try to picklock a simple lock with using rogue but he needs specialization in lockpicking for a more complex device. It would be same with traps.
Another example is that a wizard can spend in athletics up to 4 points but needs a warrior class to specialize. He can use athletics to swim but needs the swimming specialization in order to swim across a very fast river or remain floating while being hit by waves during a storm.

Also, a higher skill specialization gives other benefits as well. Specialization in survival gives warrior a combat bonus in certain terrains or a scouting bonus for rogue types.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads