The Trefaldwyn Chronicle - Dark Ages Pathfinder OOC

Dr Simon

Explorer
This is a setting I've been rolling around in my head for a while, and I've got a short scenario I want to test it with (no epic campaigns this time, but if it starts well I've got material to continue it).

In Character Thread

The idea is a game set in the real world ca. 600AD, but one where everything written by Geoffrey of Monmouth, Bede, the Beowulf poet and the compilers of the Mabinogion and the Nibelunglied is true. It's a world where Christian missionaries strive to drive out the old gods, faced with a hostile land of demons and monsters, where the Britons, one hundred years after the death of Arthur, are facing the threat of the Anglo-Saxons, where the Western Roman Empire has long since been carved up by Goths, Huns and Vandals but lives on in the Eastern Roman Empire in the shining city of Constantinople.

The game starts on the borders between the Welsh kingdom of Powys and the Saxon kingdom of Mercia. Characters are men and women in the loyal service of Llewllyn ap Rhys, Lord of Trefaldwyn - loyal because they are honourable, loyal because they are related to the Lord, or merely loyal as long as they are paid, any motivation you wish.

The Crunchy stuff -

Pathfinder, 15 point buy.
Any core class except monk and paladin is acceptable. Any core race is acceptable, although "orcs" are not a race in this setting, so a half-orc would be known as a half-troll, half-goblin or some such. Average starting gold for equipment. Some non-standard races might fit, ask if there's something you really want.

Fighters, rogues, and rangers could be anything. Wizards and sorcerers would not be distinguished by most people. Barbarians would likely be Pictish or Norse mercenaries, although there's no reason they couldn't be Celtic or Saxon warriors either.
Bards and Druids, of course, stem from Welsh culture and are a good fit, although the old druidic faith is in decline (The Romano-Celts who have developed into the Welsh have been Christianised for some time). The druids are mainly found on their island Ynys Mon, but some would exist.

Clerics and Religion
The Welsh are largely Christian, but the Saxons still largely follow their pagan gods such as Woden, Tiw and Thunar, Teutonic version of the Norse gods Odin, Tyr and Thor. They also venerate nature, as do some Celts still, particularly sacred trees and pools, the sun and the moon. Pope Gregory has sent Augustine, Archbishop of Canterbury, to be his emissary in the British Isles and bring Christianity to the Anglo-Saxons.

This era is before the crusading cleric of later mediavel history - the typical Christian cleric is a humble missionary (Dewi, aka St. David, a companion of Arthur, established a monastic tradition in the kingdoms of Wales). Christian clerics use d6 hit die and a poor BAB, but have a base 6 skill points instead of 2. They may select from the domains of Community, Glory, Good, Healing, Knowledge, Liberation, Nobility, Protection, Repose (Pharasma version), and Sun. They may also select the Love subdomain of Charm (but not Charm itself or (Heaven forfend!) Lust. All other subdomains of the above domains are allowed, apart from the Ancestors domain of Repose (smacks of paganism).

For pagan clerics, Domain choices should be fairly easy to work out from similar deities already published.

Disclaimers
It shouldn't be necessary to have an in-depth knowledge of the 6th-7th century history, politics and theology, nor to speak Welsh, in order to play the game, although even a passing interest in such things means you are more likely to get something out of the game. Further, although the game uses real-world faiths I'm not in the business of passing judgement on anyone's religion, nor trying to promote one.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Starting at 1st level?

I'd love to try a druid in this setting...even have a nice Welsh name picked out. :)

That said, I've been grappling with posts lately, as my time has been diminished. I see light at the end of the tunnel, but I'd totally understand if you were skeptical since my participation in your games has been hit so hard.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Funny, could have sworn I posted a follow-up. Yes, 1st level, forgot to mention that; also looking for the typical party of between 2-6 players and also using my usual house rule of adding the Con score to starting hit points.

This would actually be somewhere where the Sacred Vow rules from the Book of Exalted Deeds would be appropriate, not to mention the Apostle of Peace and Risen Marytr prestige classes.

Shay, you'd be welcome.

Shayuri

First Post
Hee, I'm not too familiar with Exalted Deeds, but they'd have to be Pathfinderized anyway...

I do feel like I should ask what your take on the religion of druidism should be like? There's a pretty wide range of opinions on the matter. Are we talking blood sacrifice and barbarism, or semi-mystical pacifism? Or somewhere in between? :)

Dr Simon

Explorer
Probably somewhere in between, with a continuum of opinion within the ranks of the druids between the more hippy-trippy types and those who have turned more towards the blood sacrifice side of things to stem the tide of invaders.

There's less in Exalted Deeds that would apply to a druid so much any way, but I may be dipping into it for ideas.

I'll be away over Easter (in the real Trefaldwyn) so responses may be patchy depending on as and when I can access a computer.

Shayuri

First Post
Fair enough. To what extent should I refer to historical sources for this character, versus just making it up to suit classical fantasy tropes? :)

Sorry if I'm pestering, but any game with even a quasi-historical bent begs questions like that for me.

Hmm...or a fey bloodline sorceror might be fun too...hee hee

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
This looks really interesting and I would really like to jump in. But at the moment, i barely have time to stay on top of what I have on.

So I'll probably lurk for a while. If things ease up down the track, who knows.

Good luck with this. Hope to see it get off the ground.

thotd

ghostcat

First Post
I'm really interested in this put like Shayuri and doghead, a bit pushed for posting time at the moment. Can probably manage 2-3 times a week but not every day.

If this is acceptable, would be looking to play a Ranger.

Walking Dad

First Post
What would be the elf background? Something like ambassadors from another realm or just another culture with pointy ears? I'm fine with either, btw.

Looking forward to play an elf sorcerer (wildblooded: sage).

Or does "core" include some "base" classes, like cavalier and magus?
Always wanted to try an elf magus (bladebound hexcrafter)

Dr Simon

Explorer
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] (and others), I'm aiming more for verisimilitude than total accuracy, which is to say some research is better than none, and that there ought to feel like a difference to standard fantasy tropes. That said, shapechangers are plentiful in Welsh myth, so that aspect of a druid character would fit in well.
[MENTION=30034]ghostcat[/MENTION], that kind of frequency would be fine, it's about what I can manage as well.
[MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION], magus would be okay, I think cavalier probably has too much of a mediaeval feel for the setting (although, mind you, the Roman army of this period consists mostly of mounted Goths and sees the development of heavy cavalry, set against the light cavalry of the Huns, plus legendary Saxon founders Hengist and Horsa are said to be great horsemen, so perhaps it could fit...).

As for elves, your character sounds like he could come from Ireland, or rather Tir Na Nog, although some kind of Germanic or Scandinavian background would also work. Something slightly exotic to the region, however, would go well.

Remove ads