The Trefaldwyn Chronicle - Dark Ages Pathfinder

Dr Simon

Explorer
The girl listens calmly to the advice.

"Perhaps it's as you say," she says. "I've carried it for nine months. Even if this child is unnatural it is still part of me." She looks to Myfanwy. "I've heard others mention the dreams," she says. "people kept it secret at first, but once it was known, suddenly everyone claims to have dreamed of the man with the golden hair and green eyes. Or the woman. When I told Old Nesta about what I've told you, she mentioned something about the ghost in the forest. But she died of the sickness soon after."

Meanwhile, at the Chapel:

"Ah now," says Brother Breandan sadly. "I can't be helping you with the second one, I'm afraid. It seems that everyone who claims to have seen the walking dead dies of the disease soon after. But maybe young Rhonabwy will recover now that your sharp-tongued druidess has worked her skills. I'll take to where he was taken ill, perhaps you'll be able to find something. Just a moment." Breandan pulls on a heavy dark winter cloak and draws the chapel door to.

Then he leads Quint back across the compound to a building pressed right close to the outer palisade. A burly man is busy disembowelling a strung hog carcass, blood steaming in the snow. He gives Quint and the monk a nod as they pass by.

"Morning to you Bryn," says Breandan. "I'm just after showing Brother Quint here where your boy says he saw the, er, monster."

"How does he fare, Brother?" asks Bryn the Butcher.

"Ah, better, I think. Seems they have some good wise women in Dinas Derwen. Your Rhonabwy may be the first to survive this sickness."

Bryn accepts the news with a curt nod of thanks. He turns to Quint.

"Feel free to look, but you'll find no monsters here," he says as he deposits a pile of offal into a bucket with a wet slap.

Kaodi

Hero
"Myfanwy," says Gwyneira, glancing over towards the druid, "If you remember when we first woke this morning I asked you, 'Did you dream too?' It was because I saw the man this girl speaks of in my dreams. And we have only been here one day."

Shayuri

First Post
Myfanwy purses her lips a little in displeasure. She hadn't really wanted to discuss that in front of an impressionable young girl. But done was done, and Gwyneira was right. She did still have a hazy recollection of the last night's dream.

"I did see a man with blonde hair and green eyes," she admits. "But he didn't do anything threatening...or anything at all. Just looked at me. That said, until we have some idea what we're dealing with, I'd rather not kill the child." Myf's eyes drifted to the girl's belly. "So far along, such measures can do more harm than good regardless. Even if the dreams signify something, it would be...well beyond difficult, really...for a spirit of some kind to kindle a child in a woman. Unless you're chaste," she looked up at the pregnant woman's eyes, "and this is truly a supernatural thing, I'm still inclined to think it's more likely the result of your man."

She took a deep breath.

"That said, there IS something going on in the town. There's enough threads to sense there's a pattern, but I still have no idea what it is yet. Dreams, sickness, and now this unborn child..."
she shakes her head. "No way to tell yet what's part of it, and what's not."

Kaodi

Hero
Gwyneira reaches out with one hand and takes up the girls in her own. "Do not worry yourself unnecessarily young one," she says in the same soft voice, looking earnestly into the girl's eyes. "We are here to get to the bottom of all this, and we are not unequipped with, well, special talents of our own. You have been very brave to get thus far, and I promise you I will be equally brave for your sake. If there is one other thing you can tell us though I think, it is your name. Then perhaps it would be best if Myfanwy and I conferred alone for a moment."

ghostcat

First Post
"Thank you Brother Breandan, Bryn" says Quint "Over here you say." Quint goes to the indicated spot and spends an inordinate amount of time carefully examining the ground, walls and any furnishings that are in the area.

OOC: Take 20 on check for tracks. 20 (+6) = 26

Dr Simon

Explorer
With the elves looking on, Quint searches the ground around the butcher's house. The snow is a few days old now and mostly an indistuingishable churn of slush and mud, and what prints there are have become featureless hollows. However, he is able to determine a set of prints, making a light impression in the snow, leading away from the main thoroughfare and down towards the chapel, along the line of the fort's palisade.

ghostcat

First Post
Although Quint is not convinced that the tracks are significant, at least they are a clue. He starts to carefully follow the tracks while saying to the elves "I think I've found something, make sure you stay behind me so you don't destroy the tracks."

Dr Simon

Explorer
The tracks lead down to the chapel, a sinlge unbroken trail, but there they merge with the general traffic that goes in and out of the chapel door.

Remove ads