The Trefaldwyn Chronicle - Dark Ages Pathfinder

Shayuri

First Post
Once she and Gweneira have stepped outside, Myfanwy is still for a moment, looking over the little town with a distance in her eyes. Without looking at the other woman she simply asked, "What do you think this is all about?" It seemed like she had her own ideas, but wanted to hear Gweneira's before discussing them.

Kaodi

Hero
"We were wise to think first of mundane causes for the events that has transpired here, but in this matter at least that would have dark implications of its own," says Gwyneira quietly. "If we assume that Bronwen is mistaken somehow, that means that someone here did the deed without her knowledge. And while that is not quite 'supernatural evil' bad, it is bad enough. I am no healer, but if she would let us, well, examine her, maybe there is a chance we could know with haste whether these dreams are more than dreams, whatever their source."

Shayuri

First Post
Myfanwy nods to herself as she listens to Gwen's notion, then she says, "The dreams, and the disturbance I felt, along with Bronwen's lack of knowing about how she became pregnant suggest to me a possibility. A spirit lacks substance, so I don't think it could directly father a child. But...it could possess someone, and cause them to act without later remembering it. The question nagging me is why?"

She looks over at Gweneith. "We can only guess right now...we don't know enough to do more...but a spirit with enough power might be able to possess a baby indefinitely. The soul is less attached to the body, less able to resist. It is possible that Bronwen was right. I'm not entirely sure how to prove or disprove it though."

Kaodi

Hero
Gwyneira shudders. "I suppose possession could be a possibility," she says. "Give me one moment, I will ask Bronwen about the, you know, usually signs a woman has been deflowered." Her pale faces reddens slightly at the suggestion.

Gwyneira goes back to Bronwen, and as her face reddens even more, she asks, "This is rather awkward to ask, um, but it would help us define the possibilities if you could tell me whether your maidenhead is intact or not, Bronwen. I am sorry, I feel very rude to ask. But if we are dealing with a dark spirit some topics some topics become less taboo."

Dr Simon

Explorer
At Bryn the Butcher's house:

Quint returns and reports his lack of concrete success. Some more people have gathered whilst he and the elves have been following the tracks.

"I'm not surprised," says an old man. "Ghosts don't leave footprints."

"Hush Dai, man," says Bryn. "You know it's those what have spoken of the ghost are those as have died!"

Old Dai shrugs in his heavy furs.

"Ych y fi," he spits. "This winter'll be the death of me anyway isn't it?" He pokes a bony finger at Quint. "You, young man, maybe you should look up in the woods up there, in the old ruined cottage. Maybe you'll find something interesting to you isn't it?"

Meanwhile, in Bronwen's cottage:

"I..." says the girl hesitantly. "Well, if you think it'll help. Old Mamgu Mari examined me to see if the baby was healthy. But she's dead now though..."

One examination later, and Gwyneira is none the wiser. She knows that such tests are not always conclusive and so the matter of Bronwen's chastity, or not, comes down to the girl's word.

[sblock=OOC]
Okay, that's a situation not covered in the rules! (except maybe if you're playing FATAL). I figured a Heal check. I rolled a 20 in Gwyneira's Diplomacy, as for the results of the Heal check, well, as it says this kind of test isn't clear-cut.

As for the rest, "ych y fi" is a wonderfully onomatapaeic Welsh expression of disgust or complaint. "Mamgu" is Welsh for Grandma.
[/sblock]

Kaodi

Hero
Being more of a herbalist than a healer, Gwyneira is frustrated that she cannot say for sure whether the girl is in fact virginal. Somewhat ashamed, she says, "Well, there is nothing obviously amiss, but my best guess is not like as good as Old Mamgu Mari. Tell you what though: old women are known for liking their gossip, even if they are careful about it. Is there anyone she might have confided in about her business? A sister, dearest friend, even a husband or child of her own?"

ghostcat

First Post
Thinking that an expedition into the woods would be better in force, he says "Daunton. I think we should take the girls with us when we go tramping off into the wood.". Quint looks over to were the girls are. Seeing that they are on the doorstep he goes over but stays a discreet distance until they have finished.

As the two girls start to leave he says "It has been suggested that we examining an old cottage in the woods. Would you two care to join us?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
There is a quiet pause whilst Bronwen thinks.

"A lot of the women's circle is dead now," she says. "Strange now that I think of it - you don't notice who's died of this sickness, and other things, until you come to put it together like. I know who might know, though. Mamgu Mari had a sister, Mad Megan they call her. She live by herself just on the edge of the woods, and since the strange things started happening she's kept more to herself than ever. Some people have taken to blaming her you know, but nobody seriously thinks she's capable of setting curses and the like. She's too batty. But she might know more if you can get her to make sense."

Meanwhile, Quint and Daunton take their leave of the butcher and Old Dai and make their way down to where Gwyneira and Myfanwy are waiting outside Bronwen's cottage. Brother Breandan excuses himself and returns to the chapel to make ready for Terce and to check on Brother Alwyn.

Kaodi

Hero
Once everyone has gathered Gwyneira relates the less private parts of what she has learned to the others. "It may be chance but the young woman tells me that many in the women's circle have been taken by sickness. There is one though, 'Mad Megan', who is the sister of the late midwife. Supposedly she is a bit of a recluse, but I think she may be as good a lead as any to follow up on."

Remove ads