The Troubadour's Travels (IC)

Ilja

First Post
The man who noticed you first speaks up. He's a short skinny man with equally short and skinny beard, and when he opens his mouth it seems he's become nervous.
"Well, milords, we're g-gonna have a feast tonight to celebrate the harvest, and we're to decide who-whos calf is gonna get slaughtered. So if you'd be so kind as to help us, we'll let you in on the feast!"

[sblock=OOC]Should you want to join, I'd need a strength check.[/sblock]

Last edited:

wysiwyg

First Post
With a genuine smile Kareus relaxes a little. “If you’ll allow me to interject, I’d like to offer a third and fourth option, the ones practiced in my village. Why not alternate each year? Let the family who hosted the meal last harvest be the guests this year. Or perhaps, let the calf be paid for by both groups. Shall we leave the decision to chance maybe? If you’ll allow me”

Kareus nicks the rope at several places, enough to weaken its strength only slightly. He then addresses both groups “Let us have our contest, but only for one minute. Before us are four possible outcomes. The first two are obvious: either group can win. The loser shall host the ceremony as it has been traditionally done in the past. If neither party manages to pull the rope when the time is up, last year’s guests will be this year’s hosts. And lastly, if the rope snaps, both sides shall pay equally for the feast. I suggest that I join the group on the right, whereas my friend Lucas shall join the group on the left. Lady Aliandrys shall be the arbitrator. As a sign of friendship, my friends and I will even chip in for a quarter of the calf. Shall we go at it then?”
[sblock=Contest Suggestion]
The 1 minute contest is assuming that only one roll will be needed to determine the outcome. Let each group make a Str check. If the result of one group beats the other by 8 or more - they win. If not than make a DC 20 for the rope to snap. The adjustment will be as follows: take the higher roll of the two groups and subtract 10 from that number. For example, say my group has the higher roll. Roll 1d20+3 (13-10). If the adjusted roll is 20 or more, the rope snaps. If not the rope is still in tack. DM’s discretion as to the outcome of this contest after opposing rolls are made.
M
y strength check: 1d20+2 = 13 Roll Lookup [/sblock]

Last edited:

Toptomcat

First Post
Hmph. Very cute- and he likes to hear himself talk. Still, not an unfair way to do things.

If no serious objections are raised, Lucas takes his place at the opposite end of the rope from Kareus, grinning and chatting with the family on his end of the rope. When the time comes, he hauls with all his might, brawny arms straining. His sense of balance and leverage- honed to a keen edge by countless hours of training- helps to give him the footing he needs to really put his back into it.
[sblock]Adopting Stonefoot Stance- +2 to Strength checks. Result 14.[/sblock]

Ilja

First Post
The farmers begin to prattle loudly, but after a while they calm down and the tiny man talks to you again. "That do seem like a good idea, Sir."
You all grab an end of the rope, and after a full minute of hard pulling you're all a bit sweaty and puffy, but neither side has moved more than a few inches and the rope is whole.
"Well, it seems our Clara's becomin' dinner then," the tiny man who's now presented himself as Wallry says "and it seem's you're joining! But may I ask what brings people such as you to our village? We rarely get visitors this time of the year." He smiles warmly towards you, while the rest of the groups cackle amongst themselves about the tug and the upcoming feast.

[sblock=OOC]
On Karus side, five villagers managed aid roll adding 10 to Kareus roll for total 23.
On Lucas side, five villagers managed aid roll adding 10 to Lucas roll for a total of 22.
Rope burst check vs DC23 has result 1d20+13=19. The rope held![/sblock]

Theroc

First Post
Lia observes quietly, looking about herself on occasion. She wasn't particularly fond of Kareus including her in the payment without consulting her first, but that was something to be discussed in private, after all, she didn't want to be rude. As the match concluded, the Learam girl remained somewhat aloof from the others as the farmers began questioning the group. Not being particularly skilled in discussion with what she considered 'outsiders', Aliandrys left the discussion to the two men.

wysiwyg

First Post
Rubbing his hands together, Kareus tries to undo the slight rope welts he received from tugging the rope. He puts his arm around Wallry’s shoulder in camaraderie. “We weren’t destined to come here; it’s just a stop-over for us on the way to Firina. Darn glad for the invite though. Shall we go and see this beauty of yours. What was her name again, Clara? We’ve been on the road for three days, with nothing better than unsalted oat meal. A warm meal of beef would be just splendid,” he says, rubbing his arms together very briskly.

Toptomcat

First Post
Lucas nods, keeping the conversation going as the crowd goes back to Wallry's.

"We were just passing through, but maybe you can save us a trip. We're not looking for Firina so much as we're looking for news in Firina. Have any of you heard anything about all this craziness involving a traveling poet? Strangest damned thing I've ever heard of."

Ilja

First Post
None of the villagers has heard anything about the poet, but they say that the feast will be big, with people from the outlying farms and the lumberjacks and fishers joining.
They don't underestimate the celebration, well over a hundred and fifty people join when the day turns to evening. The spirit is high and there's both food and drink aplenty. People dance, laugh, and generelly seems quite happy. Wallry, who's just finished his new barn, offers you a place there should you want somewhere to sleep.

OOC: Anyone who asks around for the troubadour may make a Gather Info check DC 10.
[sblock=Gather Info]
One of the hunters says he met a bard when returning from Eron's Woods some nights ago. He was travelling towards Firina, but he seemed in quite a hurry as he just passed right through the village without even stopping at the inn. He had played for the hunter in return for a rabbit though. He was riding however, so the hunter says he's probably been in Firina for several days now.[/sblock]

Theroc

First Post
Aliandrys attempted to politely deal with the locals, dropping questions about the minstrel, but failed to accomplish anything. Despite the failure, the festivities were quite enjoyable. She wasn't sure how they were going to find this man they were hired to find, but the adventure would likely be worthwhile, even if she didn't truly need the money.

[sblock=OOC]
1d20-1=2
Failed Gather information check.[/sblock]

wysiwyg

First Post
Kareus abandons himself to the joy of the moment like a man whose breaths are few, who has but moments to live. He savours every morsel of food, every drop of wine, and every swing of a dance. He mingles wildly with the village folk and eventually stumbles back to the barn at the wee bit hours of the morning when the party has finally died down. He falls fast asleep as soon as his head hits the hay. A great smile of contentment on his face. Too bad for the pounding headache that awaits him when he wakes.

Remove ads