The Trouble at Mountain Pass (1st level adventure)

AndrewRF

Explorer
Based on the feedback I've received (thanks in particular to Van der Hoorn), I've made some minor updates to the adventure. Here's a summary of the changes:

* Corrected various typos and spelling errors

* Added bookmarks to the PDF

* Clarified and corrected rewards and xp for 4 and 5 character parties. (When I ran this adventure originally, it was for 4 characters. When I decided to make it generally available, I modified for 5 characters since that's the default for 4E. Looks like I didn't quite get all the adjustments).

* E1: Now specifies that either Goblin Warrior can be largest one who threatens the party.

* E3: More details on the corpse. Also mentions a possible location for a follow-up adventure (no specifics, just a "here's an idea for the DM").

* E7/E8: Clarifies that Artemis is a non-combatant and shouldn't be part of the fights. (I guess you could have the monsters attack her, but if she dies the adventure may stall without some quick thinking and improvisional DMing).

* E9: Added Van der Hoorn's idea about a penalty if the party has been previously captured.

* E10/E11: I left this two encounters together. Partiallly because I'm lazy, but also because they can be run as a single encounter to create a particularly tough fight. I added text to describe how that could work.

* E16: Clarified that this encounter uses a modified Iron Defender that has the Clay Scout's Guard Object ability in place of the standard Iron Defender's Guard Creature ability.

* I didn't give the goblin sub-boss a name because the party never interact with him. Feel free to name him if you like though!

Phew! Anyway, I replaced the old version with the new one, so the link is the same. Here is the again, though, in case you don't want to scroll back to the top of this thread :)

The Trouble at Mountain Pass

Last edited:

mps42

First Post
AndrewRF, The PDF has been removed at your request. Basically what I added was the statblocks, the tokens (which were images of WOTC and other minis or other images I found on the Web), general cleanup, punctuation and changing to the 2 column format.
I've had the adventure for several months and as for where I found it, at this point I dont remember.

Van der Hoorn

First Post
2. I don't have access to a Mac, so I don't have an easy way to diagnose the display problems you encountered. I've created an alternate version using Arial, instead of what might be a Windows only font. Here's the link, let me know if it works better.

That seems to work properly (except for the footer)! I guess Mac doesn't have Calibri (I have Office 2004, so it may be included with Office 2008, not sure). Acrobat Pro converts it automatically to another font, I guess that's why it worked on Acrobat.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Van der Hoorn

First Post
* E3: More details on the corpse. Also mentions a possible location for a follow-up adventure (no specifics, just a "here's an idea for the DM").

Hmm. Unless you're planning on releasing a module that uses this specific hook, I suggest you may just want to put instead that the DM can use the corpse as a hook for another adventure and remove the specifics.

* E7/E8: Clarifies that Artemis is a non-combatant and shouldn't be part of the fights. (I guess you could have the monsters attack her, but if she dies the adventure may stall without some quick thinking and improvisional DMing).

Personally I would have made her a combatant. For players it's always fun to have an additional character to play with (even just for one encounter). I guess if Artemis really dies, probably the whole party will die as well, as the PCs should be aware that Artemis is important and thus need to protect her. Even if she dies and the PCs survive, the DM could let the PCs return to town and let some another member of the caravan takeover the role of Artemis (of course with some penalties on skill checks here and there).

* E10/E11: I left this two encounters together. Partiallly because I'm lazy, but also because they can be run as a single encounter to create a particularly tough fight. I added text to describe how that could work.

After drawing some maps, this may be the best solution after all. I guess making it one encounter is even better. Especially when playing, you put it all on one map anyway.

Some more stuff:
* E1: "Looks like a these folks" -> "Looks like these folks"
* E1: "It run runs north for" -> "It runs north for"
* E8: "animals that lives in the forest" -> "animals that live in the forest"
* E9: You may want to point out to apply the +2 bonus of E5 (if applicable of course), just like E19.

Cheers

AndrewRF

Explorer
New version posted to my site with minor updates (same URL):
* A few more typos corrected
* Now uses a (hopefully) more ubiquitous font: Bookman Old Style

Thanks again to everyone (in this thread and elsewhere) for your various suggestions and corrections!

Remove ads