• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E The Ultimate PHBI4e Warforged Poll

Do you want warforged in 4e's PHB1, as a player race?

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Li Shenron said:
For me it's really a matter of style. I want the first PHB/DMG/MM to be enough style-neutral, and then campaign settings can set each their own unique style.

That's exactly the way I feel. There's a certain style I associate with Warforged that is appropriate for DnD, but not necessarily the PHB I.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I don't mind the warforged, but I'd rather not see them in the first PHB (unless it somehow helped eliminate half-elves). I'd definitely rather see them in than shifters or changelings.

Still, I prefer maugs as my construct race of choice.

BryonD

Hero
I voted junk press.
Obviously I will not mind at all when they show up in the Eberron stuff. But as they currently exist, this is my vote.

A significantly re-tooled 4E version could very possibly get a more favorable rating from me.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
Your kindof asking 'Does the Eberron Warforged belong in another setting?' .. which I am guessing is what people are answering.
I don't think that's what he's asking, and it's certainly not what I was answering.

I see choice #4 as "I'm not a Warforged lover, but people who play Eberron can do as they wish." That's how I feel, and that's how I answered.

If the choice had been: ( ) Warforged "anywhere but the PHB" / Never in my campaign.

I would just have easily clicked on that too. Whether it's the Eberron CS or elsewhere matters not a whit. They can be in a MM for all I care.

Insight said:
I think what should belong in the PHB are races that would appear in every setting, so things like Humans, Elves, Dwarves, of course, but also Lizardmen, Orcs, Goblins, maybe some low-powered Fey, etc.
I'm pretty sure that there's no possible list of races that appear in "everyone's" campaign. I certainly don't have any Lizardmen, Orcs or Goblins in mine. If elves and humans are popular, it's because that's D&D's tradition.

Flynn

First Post
Warforged are not a part of D&D for me, although they have a great place in Eberron. I do not want them in my PHB, and if they end up there, I will house rule them to return to the land of gnomes (which I got rid of in 2nd Edition, so I'm glad 4E is making the same decision).

However, just because I don't like them doesn't mean that they shouldn't have a place in their appropriate setting, which is Eberron. Therefore, they should be a part of the Eberron CS. But this is definitely a case of "don't get your warforged chocolate in my generic D&D peanut butter."

With Regards,
Flynn

GreatLemur

Explorer
Voted "don't care". I love the hell out of the warforged, and I wouldn't mind seeing them in the PHB. But, really, they're pretty solidly tied to Eberron the way we understand them now, and they're definitely an important part of the setting's unique feel. So I also ain't gonna clamor for their inclusion in vanilla D&D.

Pygon

First Post
Don't care.

I guess it's up to WotC what they think is core. They probably want to sell the 4e PHB to Eberron players. For my non-Eberron campaigns, it would take some hefty convincing to allow a PC to choose a warforged character.

I just hope that "core" adventure material for 4e doesn't regularly include warforged opponents.

Mallus

Legend
I voted 'I heart fantasy robots'.

Which might be a bit of an overstatement, but what the hell. What I do believe strongly is that the core rulebooks should contain of superset of fantasy conventions that individual groups can pick and choose from to build their individual campaigns. If a group wants to use all the material in the same game, fine, but no one should feel obligated to. I think the core should be designed for maximum utility; so knights and samurai in the same books as gnomes and magic robots... and if page count is a concern, I heartily support paring down the spell lists, which are chock-full of unnecessary redundancies.

Remove ads