• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E The Ultimate PHBI4e Warforged Poll

Do you want warforged in 4e's PHB1, as a player race?

Li Shenron

Legend
For me it's really a matter of style. I want the first PHB/DMG/MM to be enough style-neutral, and then campaign settings can set each their own unique style.

For this reasons, I want the most generic races only, not warforged or changelings, just as I don't want asian classes. If you put the warforged in the first PHB, that means all the supplementary books will have to accomodate material for it, and adventures as well. By default all settings will have warforged: ok, you can always specify "In Faerun warforged don't really exists" but that's not likely what is going to happen. Just see how many settings said that for the monk in 3ed? I'm not sure but I think none...

Intrope

First Post
Dice4Hire said:
Warforged have too many immunities for a base race.
That may be true of 3.5 'forged, but maybe not for 4e: there's a quote (that I can't find right now) that in a playtest that a 'forged's DR blocked Poison Damage (and something else)--which is a strange thing to say if the character was already immune to poison!

I have a feeling that 'forged may be toned down a bit.

Last edited:

olshanski

First Post
wedgeski said:
Playable constructs for which any DM can probably come up with 5 or 6 origin stories relevant to his campaign... win.
Not really even close to constructs except in flavor.
Give warforged characters all bad saves and no constitution scores and then we might be talking.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Intrope said:
I have a feeling that 'forged may be toned down a bit.

Agreed. If they're balanced against other races, I can't think of a reason not to let them into the PHB.

Broadening the scope of the PHB beyond the Tolkien races* is long overdue. Lizardmen and minotaurs and tieflings and dragon-men and gargoyles and whatever the hell else could fit.

* oh, and these ridiculous things

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
I'd like to see a lot more races in the PHB, but I want them to be relatively balanced against one another. The current Warforged are far too powerful to be a base race (why do you think EVERYONE plays them in Eberron????), certainly for LA +0.

I think what should belong in the PHB are races that would appear in every setting, so things like Humans, Elves, Dwarves, of course, but also Lizardmen, Orcs, Goblins, maybe some low-powered Fey, etc.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
So far, the poll is quite clear: About 60% are against, and only about 25% are for warforged (Exact numbers 7/12/9/40/3), though there's more than twice as many real lovers than real loathers.

If those numbers are representative, it looks bad for the forgies as a standard race, as I don't think that Wizards would include them if they knew that more than half of their customers would be against it.

Insight said:
I think what should belong in the PHB are races that would appear in every setting, so things like Humans, Elves, Dwarves, of course, but also Lizardmen, Orcs, Goblins, maybe some low-powered Fey, etc.

Since player races will supposedly use up more space than before, I guess that they can't put too many races in there, and orcs or goblins are only rarely protagonists, so I guess they won't make it to the PHB. Maybe the PC race info will be in the MMI.

For a divisive poll.. perhaps.

Your kindof asking 'Does the Eberron Warforged belong in another setting?' .. which I am guessing is what people are answering.

Maybe you should have linked back to the other one in order to avoid a retread of the same sorts of conversations.. and maybe a better question would be:

Should a balanced LA +0 Living Construct race be presented in the 4E PHB or be left for a setting book that provides the races background in detail?

Or perhaps:
"Of the below lists, what new playable races would you like to see in the 4E PHB? Please reply with your reasons why:

() Living Contruct AKA warforged
() Shifter
() Elan
()Khalastar
()Whisper Gnomes
() XenoMorphs AKA Aliens
..etc..
() Other"

Remove ads