• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The vampire county

Nyeshet

First Post
It's been a while since I fully read Dracula.

I think the idea of Con drain comes from the bit about Lucy seemingly becoming infirm / weak and slowly dying of this mysterious anemic malady. As she never recovered, the designers of D&D 3e seemed to think it should be considered Con Drain rather than Con Damage.

How long was Lucy considered infirm before dying? As I recall Dracula visited her 2-4 times before she died, but at the time everyone believed it was some disease from which she was not recovering. If it occurred over the course of several weeks, then Con Drain would be needed to explain why she never recovered from the prior visit by the time of her next visit. If, on the other hand, it occurred over the course of about a week, then Con Damage could work just as well. She could have taken 4-5 damage, healed 1-2, then taken another 4-5, healed again 1-2, and then finally taken 4-5 a final time and died from lack of Con / blood, or something to that effect.

[Edit]
Okay, I looked through my copy of Dracula.

The first attack upon Lucy was Aug 11th. She somehow 'sleepwalked' out of her home, down the road, and alongside the cemetary next to the church. Mina found her and - briefly - saw a white face with glowing red eyes next to Lucy. Then a cloud passed over the moon, and afterwards Lucy was alone but was having difficulty drawing in breath.

Lucy died on Sep 20th - a full 40 days later. Ironically enough, most middle age vampire stories and legends held that one who became a vampire arose from their coffin 40 days after their 'death' (why forty, I don't know). Perhaps Stoker knew this, or perhaps it is an interesting coincidence.

In any case, Lucy was bed-bound for almost the entirety of the period. At one or two instances she attempted to 'sleepwalk' again, but she was prevented by the closed (and sometimes locked) door. She was not awake, and she readily returned to bed when directed to it by someone in or near the room that realized she was out of bed, but otherwise it resembles the vampire's ability to Dominate. Actually, it probably was Domination, and Dracula was wily enough to realize that most would not think it amiss if Lucy were merely sleepwalking and - like most sleepwalkers - readily returned to bed if directed. And those few times they didn't catch her I imagine he paid her another visit.

The question now is, "How many visits did he pay Lucy?" If it was but a couple times - the first and the last - then it is almost certainly Con Drain, for how else could she not have recovered over the course of 40 days? If it was multiple times - perhaps once or twice a week, and he drained her only partially on purpose during those visits - then perhaps it could have been Con Damage. In such an instance she could have lost, say 6 Con initially, then been drained of 1-2 Con each time she started to recover. On a few instances she was drained of 2-4 Con, but those were far apart, and she kept recovering until Dracula finished her off.

Its too late to read through the hundred or so pages necessary to get the answer (or at least a guess) of how often she was visited. (In specific, I intend to look for any mention of a sudden relapse / worsening condition or any mention of finding the window open one morning or seeing an unknown man in the room - although I do not recall off hand any instance of the latter.) I'll check tomorrow.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Merkuri said:
I just had a frightening image of said lost child finding his way home after dark and banging on the door, begging to get in, but the mother is so frightened that her son may have been transformed into a vampire in the meantime that she cannot find the courage to let him in. She cries under her blankets in bed, hoping he'll just go away. Abruptly the child falls silent, the knocking gone.
I have trouble seeing it happen that way. The neutral urge to protect one's offspring is going to kick in, the kid will roll her untrained diplomacy check, succeed due to heavy circumstance bonuses and the mom is going to open that door in most cases. Another family member may restrain her, but expecting a mom not to take suicidal risks for her kid is folly.

That family will definitely become the town pariah once the mother lets the kid in though.

Rystil Arden

First Post
frankthedm said:
I have trouble seeing it happen that way. The neutral urge to protect one's offspring is going to kick in, the kid will roll her untrained diplomacy check, succeed due to heavy circumstance bonuses and the mom is going to open that door in most cases. Another family member may restrain her, but expecting a mom not to take suicidal risks for her kid is folly.

That family will definitely become the town pariah once the mother lets the kid in though.
She could also open the door while saying 'I'm not inviting you in and I refuse to allow you to come inside--we just need more fresh air.' Should work out either way, probably.

frankthedm

First Post
Nyeshet said:
I think the idea of Con drain comes from the bit about Lucy seemingly becoming infirm / weak and slowly dying of this mysterious anemic malady. As she never recovered, the designers of D&D 3e seemed to think it should be considered Con Drain rather than Con Damage.
While the research from Dracula do help give insight why drain was chosen, I do suspect the designers also chose drain so players could not simply take con damage to take turns feeding a vampiric companion / ally or use some of their blood for negotiations with vampires.

A bit of con damage that the parties lesser restoration wand can fix makes feeding a vampire as part of negotiation a tactical option.

Con drain makes players say “Nuts to THAT!”

Eosin the Red

First Post
frankthedm said:

I have seen mothers stand outside burning buildings while their children screamed from the interior ~ paralyzed by fear. Mute and tearful, but rooted to thier safe spot. Nurturing instinct does wonderful things but it -- generally -- doesn't overcome raw terror except in the movies.

I think it depends on culture and the guts of the specific person. If I* lived in Ravenloft ~ nope. No way is that door opening. Sorry. Opening the door is invinting death into the house of my family where it will make short work of everyone. I would pray for my lost son but the door stays shut.

*Most likely I would have had my wife lock the door with the other kids while I continued the search but anyone who gave up the search isn't going to open the door.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Eosin the Red said:
I have seen mothers stand outside burning buildings while their children screamed from the interior ~ paralyzed by fear. Mute and tearful, but rooted to thier safe spot. Nurturing instinct does wonderful things but it -- generally -- doesn't overcome raw terror except in the movies.
It also depends upon other factors. Robert Trivers and William Hamilton (among others) worked out the propensity of altruisim among creatures. And, it roughly turns out to be the case among humans as well. The 20-year old who gives up or fails to give birth to a baby, for instance, is a very different person than that same woman who, 20 years later, as a 40-year-old mother of a young child, sacrifices herself to keep that child alive.

Dave

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Merkuri said:
I just had a frightening image of said lost child finding his way home after dark and banging on the door, begging to get in, but the mother is so frightened that her son may have been transformed into a vampire in the meantime that she cannot find the courage to let him in. She cries under her blankets in bed, hoping he'll just go away. Abruptly the child falls silent, the knocking gone.

Wonderfully horrifying image.

There is a way around it, though. Just open the door -- don't say anything at all. (I suspect this would be a plausable reaction -- just crying, not actually saying anything.) If the kid comes in on his own, great. If the kid stays outside, crying, saying, "mummy can I really come inside?" then she slams the door and starts the hysterical wailing.

Cheers, -- N

Merkuri

Explorer
Eosin the Red said:
...anyone who gave up the search isn't going to open the door.

My thought exactly. If she was frightened enough by darkness to give up searching, she probably won't open the door when the child comes home on his own. She's given him up for lost and is now fearing for her own life (and that of the rest of her family).

Nifft said:
There is a way around it, though. Just open the door -- don't say anything at all.

See, I thought of that, but I think it makes for a better image if the woman is terrified beyond rational thought and it doesn't occur to her to open the door and not invite the child in. :)

Perhaps if the child was frantically calling, "Mommie, PLEASE, can I come in?" simply opening the door might be considered an invitation. Regardless of whether it really is or not, this could be her fear, so she doesn't even want to touch the door.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Nifft said:
Wonderfully horrifying image.

There is a way around it, though. Just open the door -- don't say anything at all. (I suspect this would be a plausable reaction -- just crying, not actually saying anything.) If the kid comes in on his own, great. If the kid stays outside, crying, saying, "mummy can I really come inside?" then she slams the door and starts the hysterical wailing.

Well, it IS the child's house, presumably. An invitation may not be needed to enter one's own home.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Merkuri said:
Perhaps if the child was frantically calling, "Mommie, PLEASE, can I come in?" simply opening the door might be considered an invitation. Regardless of whether it really is or not, this could be her fear, so she doesn't even want to touch the door.

I'm not saying your scenario is implausible -- but there is a plausible way out, which I feel would be "in character" for someone in her place.

Anyway. Good image. Reminds me of a line from early Buffy:
"Was he dead?"
"Worse."

-- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads