The village of Prumen

silentspace

First Post
Still holding his head in his hands, Oculus continues. "But why kill the children? Solomon, you said the killers were killing the children to clean the town of witches? Just before he tried to kill you? It just doesn't make any sense!"

"I'd like to Charm one of them, and see what they have to say when they're not trying to kill you."

Oculus rubs his eyes and has a drink of water.

silentspace

First Post
DarkMaster said:
OOC The soldiers are called Jraq and trolm. Studying comprehend language would be useful.

Oculus will prepare Comprehend Languages in the morning.

Revised Spells:

Cleric Spells (DC 11 +spell level)
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Resistance
1: Comprehend Languages, Obscuring Mist, Entropic Shield (d)

Wizard Spells (DC 14 +spell level)
0: Daze, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand (d)
1: Charm Person, Magic Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Expeditious Retreat (d)

Kangaxx

First Post
Jasper Conrad

Jasper quietly listens to Oculus and Solomon's discussion for a few minutes as he gathers his thoughts. It's just a big puzzle. The clues are all here, we just have to fit them together properly.

"Ok, I'm going to try to draw some conclusions from all this. Tell me if I miss anything. First, the history. About 400 years ago, A force of witches, leading goblinoids and animals, appeared in the northern edge of Mergovia, near Prumen. They were defeated, and many of the witches were burned around Prumen. In addition, we have this tapestry and book, which appear to be from the same time period or older. The tapestry depicts worshippers of an ancient, or 'lost' earth goddess, whose name escapes me at the moment. But her portfolio prominently featured things such as revenge and cannibalism. All her priests were female. Witches, if you will. I believe her symbol was a fiery snake, as can be seen here, here, here." As he says this Jasper points to the symbol on the book, the tapestry, and the dagger. While he talks, jasper grows grows more and more animated and keeps speaking faster, as if his mouth can't keep up with the ideas appearing in his mind.

"Now factor in the events of the present. We know that Mr. Almet was studying this rock, and this goddess. The councilor wanted the rock and is clearly friends with Mr. Almet. The councilor and the captain of the of the guard were together when he received and mysterious package from Dai, and proceeded to work together to try and empty the town. I think it's safe to assume that the three of them are all in cahoots, and orchestrated the massacre of the Prumen. The person who gave Dai the package must also be involved, and should be investigated if we get the chance.

Now consider the mayor's brother who was murdered in an unusual location outside of town. This odd stone was found near his body. Mr. Almet was obviously already studying this goddess before the events of the last few days. I think a reasonable hypothesis is that the mayor's brother found the stone or some other incriminating evidence, and tried to abscond with it. He was caught and murdered, but the stone wasn't recovered until later when Solomon found it.

"The sniper which was killed had paraphernelia of this goddess. When the murdered man's body was found, it was guarded by animals who acted strangely. A large goblinoid force is invading from the north. All the evidence indicates that the events of 400 years ago are being repeated. Furthermore, it seems that Mr. Almet, the councilor, and the captain are followers of the same goddess as these witches. The only logical reason for them to destroy Prumen, where they already essentially had control of the village, is to aid the invasion.

"Now they are probably in Mornomas, and probably orchestrating the slaughter of more people. I also know a professor in Mornomas who has studied this goddess extensively, and could probably give us more helpful information. I think we should head there immediately."

When he finishes Jasper takes a deep breath and looks at the faces of the rest of the party, gauging their reactions to his theories.

Manzanita

First Post
Solomon Kreel

OOC: How far is it to Mornomas from Broyar?

Solomon nods as the others speak. "We are making progress. Before we take any action, we should take advantages of the resources we have now. First, Telic, will you go and question the survivors more. Find out whatever you can. Who the killers were. See if we can get any more clues to the motivations of the murderers."

"Second, I heard the last full town meeting was about 70 years ago, when two mysterious men came to town. Perhaps that is relevent, and perhaps old Karn remembers something about it. Karn may be able to tell us who all was involved in the conspiracy, as well. If it was just Gror, the Captain, and the counselor, or if others were among the leaders. It is difficult for me to accept that Frendor Almat was involved. I will not pass judgement on him on the current evidence."

"Third, could one of you detect for magic in the book, sword, dagger and tapestry? Just in case."

"As for the package delivered to the conselor by Dai. This is the first I've heard of this. What details do you know of this Dai. It could be very important."

"I don't believe the militia is allied with the goblins. Otherwise, they wouldn't have fled so quickly. Instead, I think they are competing with the goblin forces for the recovery of certain artifacts which would allow them to perform some ritual."

"As for the town militia who participated in the massacre,"
Solomon swings on Oculon and points a meaty finger in his face, "they are murderers and liars. There is no excuse for the murder of children. They will suffer my vengence. However, as the orcs used to say in my youth, 'Revenge is a dish best served cold.' I can wait until we find the counselor." ' And Jessica' he thinks.

silentspace

First Post
Solomon said:
"I don't believe the militia is allied with the goblins. Otherwise, they wouldn't have fled so quickly. Instead, I think they are competing with the goblin forces for the recovery of certain artifacts which would allow them to perform some ritual."

"It did not occur to me that the militia might be allied with the goblins. I thought they were two opposing forces. But Jasper's hypothesis is a good one, and I don't see how anyone fleeing discredits it. Let's play it out. There is circumstantial evidence that Mr. Almet, the councilor, and the captain of the guard are in this together. And the councilor, at least, is shows an interest in the goddess, though whether as a follower or an enemy we don't know. Those are good theories, but just theories. What are the facts? We were sent out of town to investigate what turned out to be a goblin fort. Meanwhile, the militia slaughtered the children. It seems like we were intentionally sent out of town so that could happen. And its possible that we were sent to the goblin fort in the hopes that we would also be killed. Certainly, the goblins could be allied with the councilor and the others, which puts an entirely new spin on this. More reason for us to learn more before taking action, I think."

Solomon said:
"As for the town militia who participated in the massacre," Solomon swings on Oculon and points a meaty finger in his face, "they are murderers and liars. There is no excuse for the murder of children. They will suffer my vengence. However, as the orcs used to say in my youth, 'Revenge is a dish best served cold.' I can wait until we find the counselor."

"They are murderers, yes, and deceitful too. But they are also your friends and fellow citizens, no? What is their motivation? Are they under someone else's sway? It seems like they were murdering the children because they thought they were witches. So they have a fear or hatred for witches which is stronger than their love of the town's children. Why? Are the witches so evil that the villagers see no other option than to kill them, even if they are only children? What have the witches done?'

"Solomon, you may be right. And neither I nor Jasper are saying that you're wrong. All we're saying is that we don't know for sure yet."

silentspace

First Post
"There are a number of good suggestions on the table. How should we go about our next steps? Should we split up and investigate different avenues, or stick together?"

OOC: Does Jasper have Detect Magic prepared?

Kangaxx

First Post
silentspace said:
"There are a number of good suggestions on the table. How should we go about our next steps? Should we split up and investigate different avenues, or stick together?"

OOC: Does Jasper have Detect Magic prepared?

"Hmm... we should split up for the moment and see what else we can learn now, then meet here again and decide where to go next. Oculus, why don't you and Telic go talk to the children, and Solomon can go talk to Karn. I'll see if I can learn anything else from these items, and see if they are magical."
OOC: Yup.

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: I'm waiting on a post from DarkMaster on how long it would take the group to get to Mornomas. Solomon's not missing that meeting. If there's time, though, Solomon would definitely be interested in trying to track down the man who gave Dai the package, although I don't think Solomon knows about this IC.

DarkMaster

First Post
[OOC Interesting theories!! Mornonas is about 8 hours by horse from Broyar. So if you leave before 10 am tomorrow morning you should get there on time. As for studying the various artefact you would find a lot of ressources (Books, professors)at the university. Also you keep on mentioning that the childrens were targeted, I just want to make clear that it was actually the whole village, a few of the children survived because of Karn. It is currently around 9PM. Solomon I guess you can ask Dai, he is probably in the room with you ;).]

Jasper concentrates on the three objects and starts the incantations. After a minute of focussing in the directions of the objects he doesn't detect any signs of magic.

Kangax said:
The sniper which was killed had paraphernelia of this goddess

Solomon doesn't remember well the symbols, were they containing fiery snakes or not he can't remember. But they weren't exactly identical to the one on the dagger, that he is sure of.

[OOC Tell me what you want to ask to the various NPC or at least the approach you want to use]

Remove ads