The Walking Dead 4.1 "30 Days Without an Accident" (spoiler alert)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Good point on the plot hole with Hershel being a veterinarian.

My wife is a veterinarian, and loves the show, but is kind of cheesed off on that one.

My guess is that the guy feeding rats to the walker put a half-eaten rat into the pig's feed and the kid ate the bad pork and got zombie fever and died.

Well, that blows the plot hole open wider. Modern veterinarians are all trained in food safety (as vets are hired to do inspections of meat production). There is no way in heck that a vet wold allow anyone to eat of an animal that died from unknown causes in that situation. That's just *stupid*. So, either they're hauling a full-grown dead pig around behind Hershel's back for butchering, or the writers are dumb.

I think his illness was a bit too quick for swine flu

Symptom onset for flu is typically quick - 12 hours would not be at all incongruous.

and he was vomiting blood in the shower there, too.

In children, gastrointestinal symptoms are common with flu. With the lighting as it was, it was not clear to me that he was vomiting blood.

The flu doesn't even need to kill him directly (if the writers actually refer to any real medicine). He was clearly running an extremely high fever, which is bad enough. The water in that shower was unheated. Dumping cold water on an overheated person is *BAD*. All we require is that he faint, and whack his head on that concrete floor. A head injury enough to kill a human may not be enough to stop him from reanimating, and rampaging....

Oh, and anyone else note how he was coughing and snotting into the water barrel?? Contaminated water is funfunfun for the whole family!

Janx

Hero
My wife is a veterinarian, and loves the show, but is kind of cheesed off on that one.

Well, that blows the plot hole open wider. Modern veterinarians are all trained in food safety (as vets are hired to do inspections of meat production). There is no way in heck that a vet wold allow anyone to eat of an animal that died from unknown causes in that situation. That's just *stupid*. So, either they're hauling a full-grown dead pig around behind Hershel's back for butchering, or the writers are dumb.

Symptom onset for flu is typically quick - 12 hours would not be at all incongruous.

In children, gastrointestinal symptoms are common with flu. With the lighting as it was, it was not clear to me that he was vomiting blood.

The flu doesn't even need to kill him directly (if the writers actually refer to any real medicine). He was clearly running an extremely high fever, which is bad enough. The water in that shower was unheated. Dumping cold water on an overheated person is *BAD*. All we require is that he faint, and whack his head on that concrete floor. A head injury enough to kill a human may not be enough to stop him from reanimating, and rampaging....

Oh, and anyone else note how he was coughing and snotting into the water barrel?? Contaminated water is funfunfun for the whole family!

and daryl licked his fingers and shook his hand.

I suspect the water barrel was for the shower. And folks should hopefully be paranoid of floaty glop and blood at the shower to dump the whole thing down the drain (which would flush the ick out of the way anyway as part of a cleaning process).

I suspect Zombie Potter will be enough of a problem for them anyway

NewJeffCT

First Post
and daryl licked his fingers and shook his hand.

I suspect the water barrel was for the shower. And folks should hopefully be paranoid of floaty glop and blood at the shower to dump the whole thing down the drain (which would flush the ick out of the way anyway as part of a cleaning process).

I suspect Zombie Potter will be enough of a problem for them anyway

A lot of fans would be upset if Daryl died and turned. So far, they've killed main characters, but most of them (Lori, Shane, Andrea, Dale, Merle) were irritating to some degree and/or had major flaws, so fans didn't love the characters. Yes, Sophia was not irritating, but she was kind of a minor character, like the old woman that stayed behind at the CDC and the guy they left behind with a gun.

I wonder if it is the swine flu, though. At least a reasonably healthy adult like Daryl might be able to make it through swine flu.

Jet Shield

First Post
At least a reasonably healthy adult like Daryl might be able to make it through swine flu.
Maybe. Who knows how even a common illness, like a cold, might effect someone already infected with the zombification bug. We have no idea what the zombie disease does to the living. It may be slowly destroying their immune systems. We just don't know.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Maybe it's some form of hemorrhagic fever?

The prison and Woodbury were both living dangerously, knowing that everyone's infected. People die in their sleep all the time. Heart attacks happen, too. Both locations had older people living there.

You can end up with a zombie among you without zombies getting in. This kind of scenario was bound to happen sooner or later...

Remove ads