The Walking Dead 4.16 "A" Season Finale - Spoiler Alert

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Really? I thought it was pretty exciting knowing that at least for the start of next season, emo Rick won't be around.

Meh. As compared to, say, the two episodes before, the bulk of this was was delivered... flatly, almost like there was a stuffy blanket over people's reactions to things. And again with exposition of stuff the audience already knew, like Michonne's "confession" to Carl. I know in the world of comic books, characters have to reiterate their origin stories on a regular basis, but it's kinds lame on TV.

And I don't really find the reveal that Rick will be committing violence in the show six months from now all that exciting. Not really moving me to the edge of my seat there. YMMV.

Edit: I know how to describe it now. The episode was moody. Brooding. Maybe they were going for looming fear, or something, but they missed that mark.

Last edited:

Meh. As compared to, say, the two episodes before, the bulk of this was was delivered... flatly, almost like there was a stuffy blanket over people's reactions to things. And again with exposition of stuff the audience already knew, like Michonne's "confession" to Carl. I know in the world of comic books, characters have to reiterate their origin stories on a regular basis, but it's kinds lame on TV.

And I don't really find the reveal that Rick will be committing violence in the show six months from now all that exciting. Not really moving me to the edge of my seat there. YMMV.

Edit: I know how to describe it now. The episode was moody. Brooding. Maybe they were going for looming fear, or something, but they missed that mark.
I think the episode was more of an attempt to show Rick's change from the farmer who seemed to have gone soft to the badass that's going to wreck anyone that gets in his way. A lot of the walking dead is about character development, and this was Rick's development.

I'm excited for next season. I don't think we are going to get this weak emo Rick. I think it's going to be the guy that's going to kick down doors and burn everything down just to get revenge. The only thing that has me a bit disappointed is that Beth is still missing. Maybe she was eaten by the Termites, or maybe she was able to join some other group. For some reason I get the feeling that she is dead already.

I think the episode was more of an attempt to show Rick's change from the farmer who seemed to have gone soft to the badass that's going to wreck anyone that gets in his way. A lot of the walking dead is about character development, and this was Rick's development.

I'm excited for next season. I don't think we are going to get this weak emo Rick. I think it's going to be the guy that's going to kick down doors and burn everything down just to get revenge. The only thing that has me a bit disappointed is that Beth is still missing. Maybe she was eaten by the Termites, or maybe she was able to join some other group. For some reason I get the feeling that she is dead already.

If complete agreement. This one totally worked for me. On the whole, the last three episodes really held my interest and felt strongly written.

Interesting, i am always curious about different gut reactions to this sort of thing. My response was the episode felt intense and suspensful but ended on a heroic note. A lot of it was i was expecting a big name to dir, and it felt like the film makers were playing with that. Each half has a different kind if intensity though.

darjr

I crit!
This was a real hit with my family. When Rick bit Thomas there was cheering from behind couches. But also a few OMG's. It was disturbing, but that's the point.

Also, have the termites (love that) dealt with the 'disease' yet? If not they might have very well just severely messed up.

Last edited:

Also, has the termites (love that) dealt with the 'disease' yet? If not they might have very well just severely messed up.

That is right, Rick's team are probably carriers or something. If the Termites eat any of his crew, they could end up going through what the prison experienced.

That is right, Rick's team are probably carriers or something. If the Termites eat any of his crew, they could end up going through what the prison experienced.
I doubt the writers are going to rely on the killer flu to save the group and take out the Termites. I may happen, but I don't think that's how it'll go down. I'm guessing the Carolnator and Tyreese are going to find the group trapped in the train car, get directed towards the hidden bag of guns, and then they're going to get the group out. That's when Rick will go on a killing rampage.

I doubt the writers are going to rely on the killer flu to save the group and take out the Termites. I may happen, but I don't think that's how it'll go down. I'm guessing the Carolnator and Tyreese are going to find the group trapped in the train car, get directed towards the hidden bag of guns, and then they're going to get the group out. That's when Rick will go on a killing rampage.

I think there is the danger that leaning on the illness would detract from the group's heroics but it is also a lot more believable and less Rambo if their escape is helped in part by the termites getting sick from eating a member of their group. It also just ties in too perfectly with the cannibalism not to do it. It would feel quite appropriate to have the terrible episode from the prison pay off in this way. So for me, I think this would be great, as long as it isn't the only thing going on. Terminus is so well fortified and protected, I feel something to weaken their position would add a lot to the believability of a heroic escape.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm guessing the Carolnator and Tyreese are going to find the group trapped in the train car, get directed towards the hidden bag of guns, and then they're going to get the group out. That's when Rick will go on a killing rampage.

I note that they have a Checkov's Gun in play, in the form of Denise Crosby. Wise producers do not put her in front of a bunch of geeks without then having her have significant contact with the main characters.

So, it is unlikely be as simple as "Carol & Tyrese sneak in, find the train car, get guns, bust out guns blazing," scenario.

I note that they have a Checkov's Gun in play, in the form of Denise Crosby. Wise producers do not put her in front of a bunch of geeks without then having her have significant contact with the main characters.

So, it is unlikely be as simple as "Carol & Tyrese sneak in, find the train car, get guns, bust out guns blazing," scenario.

That is a good point. She basically only had one line so far, and they cast her for a reason.

I am wondering how much of next season the current situation will take up. Is this going to play out over all of next season, or will be be the springboard into something new?

Remove ads