The Waterdeep Adventures or Kobold Soup is good eatin!

spacehulkster

First Post
Apprehension

“I don’t like this,” whispers Felix, who is invisible. “I’m gonna fly up ahead a little bit. I’ll send a warning if I find anything.”

“How will we know your sending a warning?” questions Vern. “Uhm, I had better buff myself,” Vern states and proceeds to cast Magic Armor upon himself.

Felix replies, “I think you’ll be able to discern.”

Taking Vern’s example, Milo and Carthax cast protective spells upon themselves. The three visible hero’s slowly move through the cavern. Their eyes dart from one side to the other, scanning the area for the obvious trap. Occasionally, one of them thinks he spots movement in the briars, but upon further investigation it turns out to be nothing.

Felix spots the large tree first, and is able to see his friends roped around the tree. A druid and a woman stand in front of the tree, looking towards him in the dim green hue that lights the cavern. He flies wide to his right, hugging the cavern wall. Just in case the casters have thrown invisibility purge. The two figures do not appear to notice him. Twenty feet in front of the tree is a low wall, ruins of a long forgotten enclosure. He surmises that if his friends can reach the wall they will have cover. But he doesn’t have time to inform them, as he decides to sneak up to the tree and cut the binds that hold his friends.
“Besides Milo, Vern and Carthax should be able to take two spell casters!” he thinks to himself.

spacehulkster

First Post
Who's the Hero?

As the three round a bend in the cavern, they catch site of the tree and the figures around it. They are startled at the site and are not the first to act.

“Welcome,” Belak embellishes, “come join us. You can bury your worries here. Your friends here will soon have a new life and a peace that goes with that.”

“I think this ones gone mad,” whispers Carthax. “Don’t start anything yet, I want to get closer,” he says noticing the low wall just ahead. Milo and Vern recognize his motive and the three pick up the pace to get as close to the wall as possible.

Vern chimes in trying to distract the druid, “And what kind of New Life will this be? Will we be able to think for ourselves, eat what we want, see things in a clearer light? And what about…..”

Belak holds his hand up to silence the questioning gnome, “Come closer and find out friends. See for yourselves.” With the last statement he cast Entangle upon the ground where the three stand, just short of the wall. Not waiting to see if the hero’s are caught in the Entanglement, Belak orders his goblins to assault the would-be rescuers.

Felix frantically flies, invisibly, towards the tree. He spots the kobold, Meepo, lying on the ground next to a pile of weapons. He notices that the kobold seems to be barely alive. He gives the kobold a swift kick as he flies past. Felix lands in front of Elric, who seems groggy and coming out of unconsciousness.

Felix quickly pokes him and whispers, “Time to wake up.” Elric begins to snap out of it. Felix then moves on to Valen, and starts cutting the rope.

Back to the Entangled rescuers.
Flames fly from Vern's hands as he burns a path for his friends towards the wall.
Milo is able to slowly work his way to the low wall. But Vern and Carthax are caught in another of Belaks Entangle spells and stand bravely casting spells of their own. As the goblins come running, from their hiding place, Carthax is able to cast an Entanglement spell of his own and it slows all four goblins and bugbear. Unfortunately for the them the Twig-blights are immune to the spell and they quickly close in to melee.

Vern is able to dispatch one with Magic Missiles. He is then hit with the same spell from the female wizard.
The goblins and Carthax exchange javelins and spears, while Milo begins to pelt the druid and wizard with sling stones.

Meepo, staggers up and grabs the first weapon nearest him, his crossbow. Felix, risking being caught, slaps Valen and Pudge awake and yells at them to fetch their weapons.

Belak whirls around to find that only Thalez is still asleep and tied to the tree. He cast an Entangle spell, hoping to catch the three freed foes, but Elric is able to jump clear.

Felix, now confident flies up and shoots an arrow into the female. Combined with a Magic Missile from Vern, she collapses.
Belak now orders his familiar Kulket to cast the spell he prepared beforehand. The large toad jumps clear of the tree and lands within 5 feet of Milo, but before the spell go off, the toad slumps to the ground dead, a quarrel squarely protruding through its abdomen.

Milo nods acknowledgement towards Meepo, to which he returned a gesture he can only surmise as “your welcome” from the kobold.

Valen is able to reach his bow and begins taking the goblins out. Poor Pudge stands entangled, rage filling his every being.

Somehow, Carthax and the bugbear have managed to work their way towards each other and stand toe to toe.
They exchange thrust and jabs at each other, until Elric sneaks up on the flank of the bugbear and dispatches it.

Now its just Belak and a few of his Twig-Blights left. Vern is cut to pieces by three of the creatures, his body lies entwined within the vines and undergrowth around him. Milo rushes to his aid and stops the bleeding.

Belak is able to Entangle Valen, while 2 Twig-Blights start shredding him. But Valen bravely fends them off.

Somehow, Elric, Carthax and Felix are able to destroy what allies Belak had left. Pudge, now able to move, quickly grabs his greataxe and charges the druid. A staff is no shield against an axe and Pudge severs the head easily.

“What, what’s going on?” questions an awakening Thalez.

Laughter rings the cavern as the party realizes they have just survived a battle that could have been their last. And with Thalez missing out, again! :lol:

Last edited:

spacehulkster

First Post
The laughter slowly stops, as the party realizes the grim task ahead.

Felix breaks the silence, “Something must be done about this tree.”

“You are regrettably correct, Felix.” Carthax nods his head in agreement.

“NO! You can’t destroy the tree of life!” Thalez blurts out. “It’s the only one of its kind.”

All heads turn his direction in disbelief. “Has he been turned?” questions Valen out loud, slowly pointing his bow in Thalez’s direction. Weapons begin to get hefted in their hands and faces of grim acceptance pale across Thalez’s friends.

“Na, just joking guys. Let’s burn it!” Thalez says, cracking a smile.

After a pummeling, Thalez is elected to the light tree up.

“We got everything of value here?” Pudge ask, searching the faces for agreement. “Light it up boy!” he orders. The party trucks for the exit, back up to the citadel proper.

“Yes your Majesty, the citadel is now yours alone,” Valen reports to the Matriarch Yusdrayl, the kobold leader. “The tree below will burn for some time and we gathered up all the thorn bushes and also burned them. We belief the fire will be contained to the level below and you should have no cause for worry.”

“This is a great service your group has done this meager kobold tribe,” she says eyeing the treasure the party has in their packs. “We can offer you nothing in return.” She also notes Meepo standing behind the half-Orcs leg. They exchange knowing glances, hers being more disdainlfull.

“We have no need of anything more from you. Your allowing us to pass unharmed and friendship you have shown us is payment enough. We take our leave, your Majesty.” Valen bows low with the rest of the group following suit.

“Yes, you adventurers are most welcome. Good travel to you,” the Matriarch eyes Meepo last, “ALL.”
She flatly states. The group make their way back to the entrance of the citadel, except for Meepo.

“Well a pretty good haul, what you say boys?” Pudge smiles broadly. He adjusts the overfull pack on his back. He didn’t mind being the pack-mule when its treasure he’s carrying. “You think that Meepo will be all right with no dragon to tame?”

“Not judging from his queens facial expressions!” Elric notes.

“I will feel a little safer the further we distance ourselves from this place,” Vern sighs. “I didn’t quite like having a kobold with a crossbow watching my back!”

“She didn’t seem to pleased with the little guy” Valen adds. “He’s lost his standing in the tribe.”

Upon reaching the citadel tower entrance, the party hears “Friends, wait, Meepo come too?” Running up the corridor comes Meepo carrying his crossbow and small pack. “Please friends. Meepo has no home. The queen will surely feed Meepo to the fire below; please may Meepo come with you? She is very angry with me. I am not safe here.”

Most of the party refuses to let Meepo join. But Pudge is the last to say, “He comes with me. I will take care of him.” He says with compassion. “Any of you got a problem with that?” Pudge eyes his compatriots. The group knows that there’s no arguing with Pudge once his mind is set. They relent.

“Oh thank you large friend.” Meepo indulges Pudge.

The trip back to Oakhurst takes a couple of hours longer than usual. Pudge out-distancing himself from the others with his large stride, despite the weight on his back and the kobold under his feet. He stops many times to wait for the little ones.

Darkness has fallen before the group reaches Oakhurst. “Who wants to inform Lady Hucrele about her grandchildren?” Vern ask grimly.

“I should do it,” Milo states. “Pudge, give me those signet rings you found on them.”

“But that’s party treasure!”

“Pudge, you know better,” Milo calmly answers. He holds his small hand out, his stubby fingers flailing.

Grudgingly, Pudge hands over the rings, “I didn’t mean it that way, good luck Milo.”

“I know Pudge. Perhaps we should celebrate our victory tonight in private. There will be much grief and sorry in town tonight.” Milo heads off to Lady Hucrele’s estate and the task that Ilmater has placed upon him.
“That my friends, is one devoted follower. He serves Ilmater faithfully. Never jerking from his responsibility.” Felix states.

That evening the group ordered a large meal and many pitchers of Narog’s (the inn keeper) best ale. But honored Milo’s request and stayed in their rooms.

“Tomorrow I make a visit to the cleric’s shop and buy up all her healing stock. Then we head for Waterdeep,” slurred Pudge. “Ah Waterdeep, the Jewel of the North.” He was finally going to see it.

Valen leans over to ask his older cousin, Elric, “Can it be truly better than the High Forest?”

“For Pudge, it will be.” Elric answers, raising his mug in a toast to Pudge. The two had been friends for a short time, but Elric knew the pain Pudge held inside. Only he and their friend Basti knew. Pudge’s home was never truly a “home”. Since his mother’s death Pudge dreamed of finding a home. A place to call his own.

“Well, I for one cannot wait to visit the Mage Colleges there. They are said to be among finest in the realms.” Vern explains.

Coming up next “Waterdeep”

spacehulkster

First Post
Waterdeep

Awe held the adventurers’ mouths’ agape. Each passing mile that they walked closer to the spires, their mouth’s opened wider. All except for Carthax, he had seen cities before and was not impressed.

“So, how long y’all are planning on staying here?” Carthax said with disdain.

“At least till the last copper leaves our trousers.” Pudge answered.

“Oh it’ll leave your trousers faster than you know!” Carthax whispered shaking his head. “Maybe I’ll find me a farmstead out here that needs a helpful hand. It’ll keep me busy and I can get some studying in.”

“You’re coming in for a drink at least, right?” Felix questioned. “And how will you know where we are staying, in case you need to get a hold of us?”

“Your right there, Felix. The city stench will cover Pudge’s odor,” replied Carthax, smiling and nudging Milo. Pudge made no response, his eyes were fixed upon the castle, with its many spires and griffin riders flying patrol around the city walls.

Valen came running up from behind, where Vern had tortured him talking about famous wizards, spells and the like for hours. “Did Basti say where we could find him?”

Pudge replied, refusing to take his gaze away, “Some tavern near dock side. He said we could leave a message for him in case we wanted to take in the sites. Vern’s ok back there by himself?”

“Thalez is with him,” Valen shrugged.

“so you see that except for a slight adjustment of my hands the two spells are identical?” Vern continued, not waiting for an answer.

Thalez was in his own world also. Going through fighting stances with his dagger and sword. He was thinking of finding a master swordsman to teach him how to use two weapons.
“But what if I can specialize in just my sword” he thought to himself, twirling his blade.

The party stopped to pause near the south entrance gate. They checked their gear, as if they were going on a first date. Carthax stashed his money purse inside his tunic. They proceeded to go through the gate.

“Whoa there! Who you all be and what be your business in Waterdeep?” a guard asked. Two other guards behind him gripped their spears tighter.

Milo calmly stepped forward, “We are just a band of adventurers sir, come to visit an old friend, Sebastian Silvermane. Perhaps you’ve heard of him?” Milo knew the sergeant had no clue who Basti was, but asked as a formality. The group looked anxious at the guards. Pudge started to sneer.

“Sebastian who? Never heard a him. Anyway the adventurers quarter be just a few blocks up this street. Keep yourselves out of trouble and your swords sheathed. Best you take a look at the notice around the corner of the gatehouse. It has a few standard laws and legalities you should be know’in. Have a good day gents.” The guard replied, all the while addressing Pudge.

“Thank you sir,” Milo said, “and we shall.” “Could you give us directions to The Blue Mermaid?”

“That be in the Dock Ward. On Ship Street. Take the Way of the Dragon here on the left. Turn left at Net Street till your on the docks. Go right at the docks one block. That will be Ship Street. But you gents be careful down there. There be a lotta sailors just itching for a fight,” explained the guard.

“Thank you again sir. We will.”

Carthax complained louder with each stranger that bumped into him. He made to get right behind Pudge, who was splitting the crowd like a ship at sea, but Milo and Vern had already taken the prime position. As they got closer to the docks, the salty air and sea stench assailed them. Pudge didn’t seem to notice to much.

Elric spotted many pockets getting picked as they walked on by. “Looks like this is a prime spot to enhance my talents” he thought to himself.

“They live so close to each other. How do they stand it? Hasn’t anyone heard of personal space,” complained Thalez.

The eight adventurers made quite an entrance into the Blue Mermaid. The throng was made up almost entirely of humans. Many barbs and comments were made just low enough to not be understood, except to Elric. Who kept them to himself.

“Innkeeper, eight flagons of your best ale, and what’s on the spit?” Pudge instructed, pounding his money purse onto the bar.

They ate, made arrangements for the night and asked around about Basti. The barkeep knew Basti, but he was out at sea. He would return within a couple of days, he thought. The group retired to their beds, but Elric kept a close watch. Hidden in the drapes by the window of the second floor, he watched as shadows danced along the street that night.

You know what this adventure needs? A hobgoblin druid..... ;)

Will you be accessing any material* from the Waterdeep source book while the adventures stay in the city?

* and by material, I mean specific NPCs or adventures.

spacehulkster

First Post
what would be the point of running in a pre-made world and not take advantage of the pre-made NPC's. So, yes they will be.

Hobgoblin Druid? Have you suddenly found time to play in another game? you'd be welcome.
I would take some points in Disguise though! :D

spacehulkster

First Post
No, nothing wrong with human druids.
HM was a Hobgoblin Druid (with points in Disguise) in the short lived, late night, evil campaign. We even had Pogre playing. it was a cool campaign. but the late night proved to be a minus after playing 6 months. People started missing sessions and having more babies, working more and we were just plain tired. Too old i guess for the late night sessions.

spacehulkster

First Post
The next day saw the adventurers taking in the sites. Starting at the docks, then the Palace and the rest of the city in a clockwise circle, they finally came back to the Dead Trades Ward and the South Dock Ward (the lower income side of town).

They encounter a city patrol that questions them about the kobold walking with them.

“Oh the kobold, ah… he’s just a pet.”

“Then why does he carry a crossbow? I’m afraid your going to have to put a leash on him and we don’t want to see him with a weapon either.”

“That is not a problem, sergeant. We’ll take care of that right away,” Pudge agrees. He takes Meepo’s weapons away and proceeds to take his belt off his waist and fashions about Meepo’s neck. Making sure that Meepo understands the reasons why he is doing this.

“Meepo know,” he says, “Meepo be good and stay with orc friend.”

Pudge pats Meepo’s head, as if he was a dog. Most of the party can’t figure out the Pudge-Meepo connection, and harass and barb Pudge about it.

“He’s the little buddy I never had.” Pudge explains. Since Pudge usually takes the brunt of any encounter, the group allows his indulgences.

Elric made sure to tell Pudge about pick pockets and their sure fire method of bump n run tactics. Pudge made sure any strangers about to run into his group saw him pull his blade from its sheath. That combined with his snarling half-orc visage was enough to scare off any would be thieves.

Later, while supping at the Blue Mermaid...

“I don’t know if any of you noticed how the nicer side of town seems to be north of here, but having noticed it myself, I wouldn’t mind moving to an inn further into town.” comments Vern.

“Ah, you just want to get closer to the Mage College so you won’t wear your little legs out!” Valen submits.

“True, that would be convenient. But we would also be closer to the temples and shops we would frequent.” Vern gives Milo a knowing glance, to which Milo just nods.

“Well, you all can do what you want, but I’m staying here till Basti arrives,” Pudge says between mouthfuls of mutton. “Just let me know where ya’ll are staying at.”

“How about that SafeHaven Inn we heard so much about today. There seemed to be a lot of nice things said about the place. Besides, its next door to that Beer Golem Tavern. Neat name, uh?” Thalez enthusiastically comments.

“I’m sure it is a nice place, but I would like to stay clear of the “adventurers area”. I have a feeling we could be taken advantage of there just as likely as here,” Felix points out. “I suggest somewhere further in town like Vern stated earlier.”

Elric speaks up, “I’m afraid Felix is right, my friends. I kept watch last night and didn’t like what I was seeing outside our window. Need I say more? There was an inn a few blocks away that I noticed, The Blackstar Inn. It wasn’t that much closer into town, but further away from the docks and the adventurers quarter.” The group gives Elric perplexed looks.

“What do you mean “didn’t like what you saw”?” ask Valen.

“Let me put it this way. Waterdeep is a different city during the late night/early morning darkness. But we were safe enough.”

The group decides that Elric’s suggestion is sound enough and even manages to get Pudge to agree.
That night Elric again keeps watch at the window, fully aware that the others in the room are not getting a good nights rest.

The next day the group gathers their belongings and head for the Blackstar Inn. Pudge makes arrangements with the innkeeper of the Blue Mermaid to notify Basti where they could be found.

spacehulkster

First Post
After settling in, they again take a tour of the city. This time they try to help Milo find the Temple to his god, Ilmater, god of Pain and Suffering. Most of the day passes with no success and again they find themselves in the richer part of the city.

“Uh, what about that one,” Pudge points up at a spiral tower a few blocks ahead.

A dejected Milo states, “I doubt it. My Lord is not….so flamboyant.”

“He can’t be that popular. I never heard of him before we met you.” Valen comments unsympathetically.

Elric gives Valen a quick elbow. “What was that for?” Valen cries.

“Mind your manners,” Elric whispers. “He’s healed you numerous times without question. So shut it!”

Vern takes command of the situation, “scuse me sir,” calling out to a stranger passing by, “could you direct us to the Temple of Ilmater? We are new in town.”

“Ilmater? Uh! Have you tried The Plinth, near the River Gate,” he directs the group and hurries off.

“Well it’s on our way back to the Inn. Let’s hurry, I’m getting hungry,” Vern states.

“There sure are a lot of places to eat here,” Thalez enthusiastically comment. “I really like the tavern names here. The Spouting Fish, Hanged Man, Misty Beard, Blue Jack, Flagon Dragon, Quuaffing Quaggoth, and Angry Coxswain. What’s an Angry Coxswain?”

“I think its better you never find out,” Carthax states.

The party finds The Plinth. A six story building of not too imposing a visage. Milo enters the place alone and it doesn’t take long to find what he is looking for. On the first floor, in the back, is a large sanctuary, with the holding hands symbol of Ilmater on the doors. He meets the priest in charge and his two acolytes. He gives them his offerings and takes time for prayer. He leaves the place in much better spirits.

Grateful that Milo seems happier, the group head back to the BlackStar, taking some back streets as they feel more confident of the surroundings. Darkness is falling and it begins to rain lightly. Candles are being lit on the main street lamppost.

Suddenly, a cry for help is heard from an alley behind the party.

Remove ads