The Wayfinders - Expedition to Tempest Isle

SelcSilverhand

First Post
"Aye, but young ones, need make safe. If look for snake in your midst, snake may strike to protect itself. I come back at sun rising. You find way get them to see all men in camp."

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

"Aye, but young ones, need make safe. If look for snake in your midst, snake may strike to protect itself. I come back at sun rising. You find way get them to see all men in camp."

Midian nods. "We were already talking to the captain about moving the encampment back to the ship, yes? Perhaps we could convince him to 'start packing up' at sunrise? Should get everyone out of their tents and mobile. Question is, do we trust that these men weren't working for the captain in the first place?"

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"I believe his right-hand men are trustworthy from their reactions. I would like an opportunity to walk around, observe some of the crew, and look for anything suspicious. I may be able to notice someone acting out of the ordinary."

OOC:
[sblock]
Doral plans to cast detect thoughts once more followed by invisibility once the Captain is prepared to give the order to pack up. He'll observe different crew members and see if anyone acts nervous or attempts to sneak off or do anything else odd. He'll scan their thoughts as he does so. If needed, Doral has a total of 11 for listen, 18 for sense motive, and 13 for move silently.
Roll Lookup
[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken gives the old man a nod.

"We'll make sure they're safe," he says. He has nothing to add to the discussion of rooting out traitors, but surveys his new companions thoughtfully. If there were spies in their midst, it was their problem, not his. Except now they had come amongst his people, and there was collusion with the makers of the wulgaru deadfellas. Kraken wishes for something he can hit with his sword.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
With the decision made, the native slips off into the jungle and is quickly lost to view. Your party makes its way back to the encampment. The captain is already bellowing at the lazy layabouts who were watching the encounter with the native. You let him know that you need to meet with him and Ruoark once more and fill them in on what is happening. The captain agrees to begin packing up the camp, he'll send a boat out to the ship and call as many hands as can be spared to help load supplies. He'll begin transporting supplies once the morning comes.

The rest of the day drags slowly onward. Doral disappears for part of the day to observe the sailors and mercenaries.

Doral
[SBLOCK]
The captain emerges from the tent and begins shouting orders to the crew on the beach. The sailors and mercenaries begin loading up unneeded supplies into crates and barrels to move them back to the ship. You slip out unseen and turn yourself invisible, then cast your detect thoughts spell and begin moving about the encampment. The sailors and mercenaries have mostly average intelligence with a few above averages among the mercs. Their thoughts are mostly focused on their tasks or thinking of the voyage ahead.
As you move among them you turn your attention on one sailor who is busy trying to move a heavy crate of rations. As you focus your spell you sense unexpected resistance and your spell fails suddenly. Your invisibility dissipates as well after the failed attempt to sense his thoughts. The sailor looks around suddenly and rubs the back of his head. He sees you standing awkwardly behind him and says, "Keeper's Fangs! Don't sneak up on a man like that. This place is dangerous, I thought you was a native coming to take my scalp. My head is tingling just thinking about it." Thinking quickly, you make up a story that you were on your way over to help him with that crate. He seems to accept your tale while you two move the crate. Afterwards you slip away and recast your invisibility out of sight of the others.
Shortly afterwards you spot a mercenary slowly coiling a rope. He is a hard looking man, with a face scarred from numerous blades. Part of his lip and cheek are cut giving him a perpetual sneer. His beard is a dark brown and closely cut. He wears armor studded with bits of metal and a pair of shortswords at his side. You turn your focus on him and slowly worm your way into his mind.
I didn't think they'd be coming back from the jungle. Maybe they didn't find anything. The others should have been here by now. They'll have to take the ship at night, and now the captain is going to take everyone back there. It'll be too well protected, we'll just have to sink it. Killing the Denieth paladin and his woman should be easy. The rest of them won't last long.
That damned native might have seen something. Those Tharask hirelings were talking to him. Who knows how long he's been there watching. I might have to kill him if he comes back, before he can speak to them again.
Hmm, what was that?

The man looks up from his work and searches the area around him. You remain absolutely still until he finishes his rope and moves off to the latrine area.

OOC: Only 1 person in the camp made his save vs the detect thoughts, so I counted that as an "attack" to pop the invis since normally any spell that targets an area with foes in it is counted as an attack. You were able to survey half the sailors/mercs since they are still divided between the camp and the ship until tomorrow when nearly everyone will arrive to load supplies.
[/SBLOCK]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral returns to the rest of the team, becomes visible when they are alone or alone with the Captain, and says with a frown, "I found one of our culprits and can lead you guys to him. He's a mercenary with a badly scarred face and dark, brown beard. He looks a bit seasoned otherwise I'd had been tempted to try to take him myself. I think two of our burlier gents should move on him while us others hang back and provide support. We need to capture him, not spook him. And I've got reason to think that he's got friends he's expecting to arrive. I believe they plan to act against us tonight and try to kill us and take the ship. Mayhaps we need to get out of here... or set-up an ambush..." Doral ponders the options while running his hands through his hair, obviously concerned and plotting a way to make the situation work out to an advantage.

Shayuri

First Post
"Or set up an ambush of our own," Whisper suggests with a smirk.

"If we can capture him and make sure he hasn't got any more friends in the crew, then I can meet whoever he's meant to meet tonight...and lead them straight into a trap of our devising."

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

"Or set up an ambush of our own," Whisper suggests with a smirk.

"If we can capture him and make sure he hasn't got any more friends in the crew, then I can meet whoever he's meant to meet tonight...and lead them straight into a trap of our devising."

"I would so hate to see you looking scarred and 'seasoned,'" Midian says with a playful smile, "but that might be our best bet if we're afraid they'll attack before dawn. If we can replace him as we take him, too, we can avoid tipping our hand to any of his compatriots still in camp or coming from the ship."

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper looks questioningly at Doral...then realizes he may not know. It's been awhile she realizes, since she changed.

"Doral," she says. "I think I have this one covered."

Her face and features soften and seem to melt into something grey and nearly featureless for a moment. Then lips, a nose, eyes...a new face forms. It looks exactly like his own. There are two Dorals now.

In his voice Whisper says, "In fact, I know I do."

Remove ads