The Wayfinders - The Wreck of the Archon

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian nods agreement.

"I don't think our big fish friend had any idea what was coming. Always a bigger fish, I suppose."

[sblock=ooc]I'm afraid I've lost a bit of the plot. I know we came in here to clear our way, yes? I just don't actually remember what we had to do, since we changed tactics to deal with the critter?[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Full Sheet
Code:
[b]HP:[/b] 82/66 (+16 from Water Elemental con bump)      
[b]AC:[/b] 21        [b]AC(T):[/b] 14    [b]AC(FF):[/b] 18 
Wildshape base AC: 15
Medium/Huge Animal AC: 17
Medium Magical Beast AC: 19
Medium Air Elemental AC: 20, Darkvision 60', fly 60 (perfect), Reflex save: +8
[b]Medium Water Elemental:[/b] AC 20, Fort save: +11, +2 HP / level (con bump), Darkvision 60', Swim 60'

Conditions:  
 Midian: Wild Shape (Medium Water Elemental) (8 hours).
 Full Party: Negate Aroma & Pass Without Trace (both 8 hours), 
 Doral & Kraken: Water Breathing (8 hours each)
 Kraken: Freedom of Movement (80 minutes)
 Control Water (lower): 80 minutes (dismissable)

[b]Init:[/b] +02
[b]BAB:[/b] +6/+1     [b]CMB/CMD:[/b] +8/22     [b]ACP:[/b] -3 (Wildshape: 0)    
[b]Perception:[/b] +17

Saving Throw    Base   Mod   Misc*  Total
Fort:            06     1     +2    +9      
Ref:             02     2     +2    +6       
Will:            06     6     +2    +14

* Cloak +2
Conditional: +4 vs. spell-like fey & plant effects (Resist Nature's Lure)
Resist Cold 10

[b]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Shortspear................+8.....1d6+2.........x2
Shortspear, full attack...+8/+3..1d6+2/1d6+2...x2
Shortspear, thrown........+8.....1d6+1.........x2, range 20'
Sling.....................+8.....1d4+2.........x2, range 50'
Sling, full attack........+8/+3..1d4+2/1d4+2...x2, range 50'

[b]Surge:[/b] 6/9 remaining (CMB +14)

Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

[b]Spells:[/b]
0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Detect Aberration, Liberating Command, [s]Negate Aroma[/s], [s]Pass Without Trace[/s], Ray of Sickening, Ant Haul, Obscuring Mist (D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Soften Earth and Stone, Stone Call, **Frigid Touch, Resist Energy, Slipstream (D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Hide Campsite, Aqueous Orb, Spider Climb (Communal), **Call Lightning*, [s]Water Walk[/s] (D)
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : [s]Freedom of Movement[/s], Dispel Magic, [s]**Ball Lightning[/s], [s]Control Water[/s] (D)

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level: 2/2 remaining

[b]Wand charges:[/b] 27/28 remaining.
[b]Wild Shape:[/b] 2/3 remaining

Used: Scroll of Water Breathing[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Doral stares hard at the crystal and reports a series of powerful magical auras scribed as runes across the surface. Some of them are still, while others move fluidly across the surface. A few of the runes are fading, their energy no longer needed now that the portal to the elemental planes has closed. He can see magical filaments shaped like chains leading from the crystal to the nodes on the sides of the chamber. They are likely suspending the crystal in the center of the pool. You recall Heinrick saying that part of the controlling system was deactivated from his side, the while the second part had to be done inside the chamber using the large pull switches on the wall. With the portal closed and his side powered down, you are ready to shut down the secondary system and free the crystal.
Kraken and Whisper study the severed tentacle still floating in the pool. It doesn't look like the fleshy creatures and parts you've seen so far in the ship. In fact it looks more like Kraken's namesake instead. It is greyish colored and covered with suckers some of which sport large hooked barbs. Whatever it was remains trapped in the elemental plane of water now that the portal has been shut.

Doral
[SBLOCK]
The longer you stare at the crystal the more convinced you are of a presence within. Your study is slowly drawing its attention which you can feel as a building pressure on your temples. From what you recall of dragonshard magic, every crystal has an entity bound to it that provides a source of power. Usually an elemental, sometimes a demon or abomination. The larger the crystal the more powerful the creature it can hold. This is the largest shard you've ever seen or heard of and as far as you know it could hold a being of near demi-god status.
[/SBLOCK]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
With difficulty, Doral peels his eyes away from the shard. "There is an unknown presence inside the dragonshard and it is quite powerful. Strong enough to cause me unease when compared to the size of this particular shard. We shall have to be quite careful if we are to transport the object." Doral moves to the switches with the intent of shutting down the secondary system, as soon as his companions are ready.

OOC: So this is a monolith crystal? We need all four, right? A reminder of our objective:
[sblock]
"Numerous treaties are still in the works on how to treat spoils of war. Right now the prevailing arguement is, what is that old saying, oh yes. "Finders, Keepers." You may not be the first to reach the Archon and even if you are the other expeditions will likely reach it before your business is concluded. I can give you past examples from both extremes, where two expeditions worked at opposite sides of a ruined Xen'drik city and even compared notes. At the other end of the spectrum are those times when only one expedition returned from several sent to a site. A case of winner takes all, if you will.

While your destination and objectives are secret you can freely operate under the Aundair banner. It may cause freelance groups to consider some of their choices knowing that you have political backing. You are free to take any course of action that results in the completion of your objectives.

Now is a good time to discuss the particulars of what I need you to do. You are familiar of course with the elemental ships traversing our skies, seas, and land. Each vessel uses an elemental magically bound to a crystal shard from one of the Three Dragons from the creation of our world. The energies from these bound elementals are channeled to power these vessels. The moving city of Archon utilized such bound creatures. However, given the size of the vessel it required more than the standard shards. The crystals are massive, as wide as a horse and as tall as a man. They had to be large and exceptionally pure to contain the beings within. The elementals inside are larger, older, and far more powerful than anything else we are capable of summoning today. They're known as Monoliths, as they are the pinnacle of elemental kind, just short of the minor deities of the inner planes. These creatures moved the city, powered their weapons, provided heat and water, and helped launch their air crews. There are four, one for each of the primary elements. It is paramount that you recover these crystals intact. There may be other things aboard the ship that may be valuable to our research or control of the elementals and if you come across such items we will take them as well. Also of value are any military documents. Though outdated they may help us learn more about their capabilities and former plans. Any other valuables you find are yours to keep of course, extra payment for your hazardous duties.

In answer to your second question, we have numerous resources to draw upon here in the Towers. I have already prepared transportation and a means of carrying supplies. In addition are the tools you will need to extract and recover the Monolith Crystals.
[/sblock]

Who has the tools with them, again?

jkason

First Post

Midian groans.

"Please don't tell me we're going to be battling to keep this bloody thing from re-animating itself all around us. I'd rather not start that as a pattern."

Still, the water elemental nods his fluid head to agree it's time to unchain the crystal.

[sblock=ooc]It was my understanding that the 'tools' were the spheres which will launch / follow the roller ball, yes? I don't think we had the ability to bring those in with us, though I could be wrong. If need be, Midian can wildshape into something better shaped to carry the thing, and he has Ant Haul prepared for just this kind of issue. I'm not sure how big he can get and still fit through the tunnels / hallways, though.[/sblock]

Code:
[b]Medium Water Elemental:[/b] AC 20, Fort save: +11, +2 HP / level (con bump), Darkvision 60', Swim 60'

Conditions:  
 Midian: Wild Shape (Medium Water Elemental) (8 hours).

* Cloak +2
Resist Cold 10

0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Detect Aberration, Liberating Command, [s]Negate Aroma[/s], [s]Pass Without Trace[/s], Ray of Sickening, Ant Haul, Obscuring Mist (D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Soften Earth and Stone, Stone Call, **Frigid Touch, Resist Energy, Slipstream (D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Hide Campsite, Aqueous Orb, Spider Climb (Communal), **Call Lightning*, [s]Water Walk[/s] (D)
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : [s]Freedom of Movement[/s], Dispel Magic, [s]**Ball Lightning[/s], [s]Control Water[/s] (D)

SelcSilverhand

First Post
There is a subtle change in the air of the chamber as Doral throws the last switch. It's as if an inaudible hum that had been present this whole time was silenced. In the chamber below the crystal slowly sinks to the bottom of the pool where it rests gently. It looks like with some careful maneuvering you will be able to get it through the same pipe you used to enter the chamber.

OOC
[SBLOCK]
Yes, the tools needed for the crystal were to "attach" it to the Rumbleball so that you can tow it behind it. The crystals are large enough that you would not be able to fit all of them inside the ball, so the wizards devised a way to temporarily tow them behind it if you need to move your craft. Later you can use a second device to signal an airship that will extract the four crystals.
[/SBLOCK]

jkason

First Post

Midian waits a moment, perhaps anticipating more trouble, then finally turns to the others.

"So, all that, and we're a quarter of the way done," he says wryly. He waves his watery arms in the air, and his form seems to ripple, then slightly thicken.

"Let's see about getting this thing back to our friend and getting out of here before something else decides it's hungry. What do you say?" It's hard to see, but he's smiling now as the water elemental form slips into the pool.

[sblock=ooc]Given its duration, I figure Midian might as well cast Ant Haul now. Should hopefully make it easier to get the crystal through the tubes. New carrying capacity upper limits in his current form: 174 light, 348 medium, 525 heavy. If it becomes necessary, he can shift into an earth elemental or medium magical beast to bump those to 300/600/900 (an aranea looks like it might be a useful shape, for example, once we're done with all the water). I'm not sure how heavy the crystals are.[/sblock]

Code:

Conditions:  
 Midian: Wild Shape (Medium Water Elemental) (8 hours)
 Midian: Ant Haul (16 hours): new Carrying Capacity limits: 174, 348, 525

* Cloak +2
Resist Cold 10

1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Detect Aberration, Liberating Command, [s]Negate Aroma[/s], [s]Pass Without Trace[/s], Ray of Sickening, [s]Ant Haul[/s], Obscuring Mist (D)

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper frowns and puts her fingertips to the crystal's surface.

"I'm not sure we should move it yet," she says pensively. "This...creature that's in the ship. It might be better to deal with it first. Otherwise we'll be dodging it for all three of these things, and our load will get heavier each time we succeed. And attaching them to the ball means leaving them out in the open unattended for days at a time."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken regards the crystal.

"We should at least put it somewhere safer, eh?" he says. "Where we can get to it easier. Let's get it to the other side of the glass, and see if our new mucker there knows where the other three are." He gives Hendrick a friendly thumbs up.

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper nods at that, and while she's not exactly a muscular titan, she moves to help shoulder the enormous shard's weight. "Lets get it moved then. The quicker we move, the better off we'll be."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Whisper and Midian move to gingerly grasp the shard. It moves easily in the water as it keeps itself constantly neutrally buoyant. Between the two of them, they maneuver it into the outflow pipe and back out into the main chamber where Hendrick awaits. As they leave the water it is more of a struggle to lift but Midian's magical strength gives him the leverage to raise it. With one person acting as a guide and the other lifting you find it reasonably manageable. Even after leaving the water the crystal continues to drip water at a steady rate.
Hendrick watches through the glass as you make your way back to the chamber. He looks immensely relieved at your return. "You did it! Wonderful! I was getting nervous waiting here, and when those things came through the opening... well I'm glad you lived. I don't like being alone with these others... you can hear whispers from them." He jerks a shaky thumb at the tendrils sifting the pools of water around you.
You explain that you are going to seek the other crystals as well. He frowns and rubs his face. "All of them? I guess so, if we have to, though I'd rather leave this place and never come back. The thing is, if you take out the wrong ones too early it might be bad. The air shard is the closest but if we remove it the air here could go bad while we're retrieving the others. The fire one opposes the water element and is at the far end of the ship, along with the earth shard. I guess they wanted to keep opposite elements as far away from each other as they could for whatever reason. The earth shard might be the safest bet. It's near the forward armored section, low down in the bowels of the ship."

Remove ads