The Wayfinders - The Wreck of the Archon

Shayuri

First Post
"And what it isn't," Whisper points out grimly. "It's not a lightning bolt from on high. So there must be other triggers you haven't seen yet as well."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
OOC: I should have a new post up tomorrow. I'm sorry for the long wait over the holidays. I came back to work and found a bunch of stuff had broke from some upgrades a coworker performed. Been working on it three days now and finally got it under control.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
A terrible metallic screech sounds as the indentations in the ground begin to open. The ground splits into five blades of an iris that retract into the floor around it. It reveals huge gaping holes from which slowly rise massive bronze-colored metal contraptions. They rise until the top of the devices stand almost 15' off the ground when the elevating platform stops. The complicated devices seem to unfold from their compacted form. Four limbs bend at several joints until each has snapped into place. Legs unbend and limber up by flexing the entire machine up and down. Once the limbs have extended you can see they are connected to a thick armored torso. A large disc at the top rises up revealing a red crystalline contraption at the top. After the device finishes activating it pauses for a second before a loud, bellowing sound erupts from the two machines. The deep boom can be felt as well as heard as it echos throughout the dead city. From the crystals atop the torso a beam of red light spears outward like the light of the lighthouse and begins to sweep the area around it.

Careful to hide from their watchful gaze, you study their armaments. Each limb ends in a different weapon. One is a large spiked hammer the size of a sharpening wheel attached to a particularly thick limb. Opposite of it is a long tri bladed spear held with the elbow pulled back; poised to strike at an extended reach. The other two limbs are daintier by comparison and sport complicated looking mechanisms.

Ponderously, the machines begin to move. Each footstep vibrates the ground beneath your feet even from this distance. Each motion produces a sound of tortured metal long unserviced or greased. Occasional sparks fly from limbs as they move. They begin a circle around the perimeter of the field, each moving in opposite directions. One of the great red lights sweeps over a pile of rubble near the ruined tower, pauses, then sweeps back. It emits a low tone, a signal, for the other construct stops its patrol and swivels to observe the first. One of the smaller arms adjusts itself on the first machine. Parts of it glow blue then light flashes from the tip and a fast moving bolt of energy slams into the rubble turning it into a smoking ruin.

From the dust and debris a large mutated rat races forth. It dashes away along the edge of the field. The second machine seems to have difficulty tracking it as both of its shots go wide, obliterating chunks of nearby buildings. A shower of sparks fly from its limb each time it fires. The first one fires again and turns the escaping creature into a blackened red smear on the ground.

The machines return to their patrol and after nearly a minute they finish their circuit and return to the elevating platforms. The machines fold up and are slowly lowered back into storage with the sound of protesting gears. After another moment all is quiet again. A slight eddy in the air bring the smell of burnt hair and flesh to your noses.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"That was disturbing. I can make another attempt at deactivating the sensors, unless one of you good people have a better idea on how to traverse the field." Doral says.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Seeing that his companions are still speechless, Doral gives a shrug and gets back up, wiping the dust off his clothes as he does so. "I shall make another endeavor," he says simply as he returns to work on neutralizing the threat.

Disable Device
[roll0]

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken keeps watch, with the intent on helping prevent his friend from becoming red paste should the kill constructs make another appearance.

jkason

First Post
"What I know about traps and constructs you can fit in a thimble," Midian says, his tone tinged with futility. "If we can't disable it, I don't know a good way to bypass it. If any of you recognize the energy from that beam, I might be able to guard Kraken against it should we come to blows with those things.

"But since we might wind up having to fight our way through..."

As Doral approaches the apparatus again, Midian sweeps his arms in arcing patterns over his head, muttering incomprehensible phrases whose sounds are reminiscent of the low rumble of thunder.

Indeed, the sky overhead seems to darken slightly, and an answering rumble comes from above.

[sblock=ooc]Sorry I've been absent in this thread, folks. I thought I was on top of things, but not so much.

Since it's a full round cast, and he can recall it with his Eberron shard if he needs to, Midian's going to go ahead and cast Call Lightning now. He won't actually summon any bolts, but for the next 9 minutes, they'll be an option that's only a standard action if he wants them.

Also, I noticed mention of sparks, but were the beams actually electrical energy? Midian has Resist Energy (20) prepared, but I didn't know if we were able to identify the damage type of the beam.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Full Sheet
Code:
[b]HP:[/b] 66/66      
[b]AC:[/b] 21        [b]AC(T):[/b] 14    [b]AC(FF):[/b] 18 
Wildshape base AC: 15
Medium/Huge Animal AC: 17
Medium Magical Beast AC: 19
Medium Air Elemental AC: 20, Darkvision 60', fly 60 (perfect), from Ref +4 bump: Reflex save to +8, CMD to 24
Medium Water Elemental: AC 20, Fort save: +11, +2 HP / level (con bump), Darkvision 60', Swim 60'

Conditions:  
 Full Party: Negate Aroma & Pass Without Trace (both 8 hours)
 Midian: Empowered Call Lightning (9 minutes)

[b]Init:[/b] +02
[b]BAB:[/b] +6/+1     [b]CMB/CMD:[/b] +8/22     [b]ACP:[/b] -3 (Wildshape: 0)    
[b]Perception:[/b] +17

Saving Throw    Base   Mod   Misc*  Total
Fort:            06     1     +2    +9      
Ref:             02     2     +2    +6       
Will:            06     6     +2    +14

* Cloak +2
Conditional: +4 vs. spell-like fey & plant effects (Resist Nature's Lure)
Resist Cold 10

[b]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Shortspear................+8.....1d6+2.........x2
Shortspear, full attack...+8/+3..1d6+2/1d6+2...x2
Shortspear, thrown........+8.....1d6+1.........x2, range 20'
Sling.....................+8.....1d4+2.........x2, range 50'
Sling, full attack........+8/+3..1d4+2/1d4+2...x2, range 50'

Special: +1d6 cold damage on slam attacks in Water Elemental form (shard exposure).

[b]Surge:[/b] 9/9 remaining (CMB +14)

Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

[b]Spells:[/b]
0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Detect Aberration, Liberating Command, [s]Negate Aroma[/s], [s]Pass Without Trace[/s], Ray of Sickening, Ant Haul, Obscuring Mist (D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Soften Earth and Stone, Stone Call, **Frigid Touch, Resist Energy, Slipstream (D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Hide Campsite, Aqueous Orb, Spider Climb (Communal), **Call Lightning*, Water Walk (D)
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : Freedom of Movement, Dispel Magic, **Ball Lightning, Control Water (D)

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level: 2/2 remaining

[b]Wand charges:[/b] 27/28 remaining.
[b]Wild Shape:[/b] 3/3 remaining

Used: Scroll of Water Breathing[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Doral moves forward and begins working once more on the intricate runes. It is difficult to break the lines engraved into the floor. His tools slip though and cuts across the wrong line. He holds his breath for a moment but luckily nothing happens. You take another moment to study the runes before beginning again. Given the partially magical effect of the runes you suspect you might be able to increase your chances by dispelling some of the magics in place.
OOC - Didn't make the DC, but didn't set it off either. If anyone can cast dispel magic you can reduce the difficulty by 5 for 1d4 rounds.

Midian and Whisper put their heads together while Kraken keeps an eye out for movement. They theorize that the sparks indicate damaged components rather than the magical effect. The beam seemed to be partially fire and partially some sort of pure energy, similar to a cleric's ability to call down divine fire to strike their foes. While fire protection will likely reduce some of the damage the rest may not be blocked by the spell.

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

"I don't know how well the energies I channel will effect technological magics, but it can't hurt..." Midian offers when Doral points out the magical runes.

The druid furrows his brow, hands spread toward the runes. He mutters under his breath as he traces the runes in the air, and there does seem to be a momentary quavering between the caster and the trap. Then the tension shatters, and Midian sighs.

"Not sure I can help, either, but give it a look."

[sblock=ooc]Dispel check, rounds (1d20+8=9, 1d4=3)

I don't imagine that caster level check did anything, I'm afraid. :([/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Full Sheet
Code:
[b]HP:[/b] 66/66      
[b]AC:[/b] 21        [b]AC(T):[/b] 14    [b]AC(FF):[/b] 18 
Wildshape base AC: 15
Medium/Huge Animal AC: 17
Medium Magical Beast AC: 19
Medium Air Elemental AC: 20, Darkvision 60', fly 60 (perfect), from Ref +4 bump: Reflex save to +8, CMD to 24
Medium Water Elemental: AC 20, Fort save: +11, +2 HP / level (con bump), Darkvision 60', Swim 60'

Conditions:  
 Full Party: Negate Aroma & Pass Without Trace (both 8 hours)
 Midian: Empowered Call Lightning (9 minutes)

[b]Init:[/b] +02
[b]BAB:[/b] +6/+1     [b]CMB/CMD:[/b] +8/22     [b]ACP:[/b] -3 (Wildshape: 0)    
[b]Perception:[/b] +17

Saving Throw    Base   Mod   Misc*  Total
Fort:            06     1     +2    +9      
Ref:             02     2     +2    +6       
Will:            06     6     +2    +14

* Cloak +2
Conditional: +4 vs. spell-like fey & plant effects (Resist Nature's Lure)
Resist Cold 10

[b]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Shortspear................+8.....1d6+2.........x2
Shortspear, full attack...+8/+3..1d6+2/1d6+2...x2
Shortspear, thrown........+8.....1d6+1.........x2, range 20'
Sling.....................+8.....1d4+2.........x2, range 50'
Sling, full attack........+8/+3..1d4+2/1d4+2...x2, range 50'

Special: +1d6 cold damage on slam attacks in Water Elemental form (shard exposure).

[b]Surge:[/b] 9/9 remaining (CMB +14)

Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

[b]Spells:[/b]
0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Detect Aberration, Liberating Command, [s]Negate Aroma[/s], [s]Pass Without Trace[/s], Ray of Sickening, Ant Haul, Obscuring Mist (D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Soften Earth and Stone, Stone Call, **Frigid Touch, Resist Energy, Slipstream (D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Hide Campsite, Aqueous Orb, Spider Climb (Communal), **[s]Call Lightning[/s]*, Water Walk (D)
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : Freedom of Movement, [s]Dispel Magic[/s], **Ball Lightning, Control Water (D)

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level: 2/2 remaining

[b]Wand charges:[/b] 27/28 remaining.
[b]Wild Shape:[/b] 3/3 remaining

Used: Scroll of Water Breathing[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"I wonder," Whisper muses as she gazes at the runes. "Maybe we're going about this the hard way. There must have been a way to get this system to grant access to authorized personnel. A password perhaps, or a token that the magic could recognize. I wonder if we might exploit that."

Remove ads