The Weekly Racial Substitution Level Thread

Ferrix

Explorer
So, I personally find the racial substitution levels an excellent way of a specific class from each other even more, dependent upon their race. Due to my appreciation, I'm going to attempt to post a set of racial substitution levels weekly until I run out of ones to do, which should take a while considering with just the core races and classes there are 59 or so undone combinations.

Requests for what race/class combination to do next are welcome, as is constructive criticism and suggestions for abilities.

Listing:

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Elf Fighter

Elf Fighter
The elf fighter is a skilled and deadly combatant, the weapons of his race wielded with skill and clarity. Although not as tough as the typical fighter, he is often far more agile and aware.

Hit Die: d8

Code:
[b]Level   BAB     Fort   Refl     Will    Special Abilities[/b]
1st      +1      +2     +0       +0     Blade and Bow Focus
2nd      +2      +3     +0       +0     Defensive Swordplay
8th     +8/+3    +6     +2       +2     Precise Strike +1d6

Requirements: To take a elf fighter substitution level, a character must be a elf about to take his 1st, 2nd or 8th level of fighter.

Class Skills: Elf fighter substitution levels grant the same class skills as the standard fighter class, plus Balance, Listen, Spot and Tumble.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier (or four times this number as a beginning character).​

Class Features: All of the following are class features of the elf fighter racial substitution levels.

Blade and Bow Focus (Ex):
An elf fighter who takes the 1st-level racial substitution level focuses his combat talents on the intricacies of swordplay and archery. He gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls with the following weapons: longsword, rapier, longbow, composite longbow, shortbow and composite shortbow. (At the DM’s option, this bonus might also apply to the greatbow and composite greatbow from Complete Warrior, as well as the elven lightblade, thinblade and courtblade detailed in Races of the Wild.)​
This bonus does not stack with the bonus from Weapon Focus, but is treated as the equivalent of Weapon Focus for the purpose of qualifying for feats, prestige classes, and so on that require that feat.​
This benefit replaces the standard fighter’s 1st-level bonus feat.​
Defensive Swordplay (Ex):
An elf fighter who takes the 2nd-level racial substitution level learns how to more adequately defend himself against an opponent. When wielding either the rapier or longsword (the elven lightblade, thinblade and courtblade may also count at the DM’s option), the character designates an opponent and receive a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class against attacks from that opponent. You can select a new opponent on any action.
A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity modifier to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike most other types of bonuses.​
This bonus does not stack with the bonus from Dodge, but it is treated as the equivalent of Dodge for the purposes of qualifying for feats, prestige classes, and so on that require that feat.​
This benefit replaces the standard fighter’s 2nd-level bonus feat.​
Precise Strike (Ex):
An elf fighter who takes the 8th-level racial substitution level gains the ability to strike precisely with his racial weapons. When wielding either the rapier or longsword (the elven lightblade, thinblade and courtblade may also count at the Dm’s option), he gains an extra 1d6 damage added to his normal damage roll.​
A precise strike only works against living creatures with discernible anatomies. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to a precise strike, and any item or ability that protects a creature from a critical hit also protects a creature from a precise strike.​
This benefit replaces the standard fighter’s 8th-level bonus feat.​

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Wow, are eacial substitution levels usually this much better than 'standard'? The ones that I have seen seemes pretty much like equal-strength variants tuned in to racial stuff.

I think that your first racial sub level for the elf fighter needs revision, but YMMV.

Bront

The man with the probe
Depends on the substitution some are a bit better simply because they play to a races strengths, some are a bit weaker.

The Races of Eberron ones are the ones I have the most experience with. The Warforged Artifacer levels are very cool (Bonus to enhance self, later easier to craft magic weapons, armor, and warforged components which replaces the Homiculus, and finaly, a weapon familiar which replaces some 5th level ability. The 1st level ability is a pure bonus though) The Kalashtar Soulknife gets a small bonus power, but the other 2 levels are not that great. Changeling Rogue is cool if you want a social character that doesn't deal with traps. You get 2 more skill points per level for those levels, a bonus knowledge skill as a class skill and a social bonus instead of trap finding, a bonus to knowledge skills instead of to trap saves, and eventualy the ability to deny criticals instead of improved Uncanny dodge. But not all of them are great. Some of them seem a bit more powerfull, but not too much so, and they fit the race.

I don't think this elf stuff is TOO powerfull, given there are feats that let you replicate the first power in situations (or even apply things like specializations to multiple weapons with one feat), the 2nd power only works in melee (or at least it should), and Precise strike is an ability of the Dualist, which is probably equivilent of a feat. Only limit on it with the dualist was one handed finessable weapon and only does damage to those vulnerable to sneak attacks.

The 2nd level power needs work, and perhaps the 1st level power should be limited a bit to be either all bows, or all swords, and just keep it the core ones.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I think the 1st Level Elf Fighter feat is NOT overpowered. If anything, the skill points are too strong, but I think that might make up for the -2 Con pain.

1/ Elves usually start with a bunch of bonus martial weapon proficency Feats, and Fighters get all martial weapons anyway. This level returns the bonus Feats. Since most Fighters pick one melee weapon (and sometimes also one ranged weapon) to specialize with, IMHO this option isn't too strong.

2/ Nice, but I'd drop the Reflex save part.

10/ Tenth level is really for a Fighter. Given that this ability is taken from Duelist, and a PC who entered the PrC as early as possible would be getting it around this time anyway, there's little point. I'd move it down to 4th level or 6th level (4th level would delay Weapon Spec., which could be thought of as a "cost"). 8th level also has a lot of nice feats (like Imp. Crit) so that's another place where sacrifice could occur.

-- N

Ferrix

Explorer
Justifications for some of the comments.

The increase in skill points makes up for the drop in HD which for an elf, means having even less HP's than a standard human fighter. It actually matches the half-elf fighter sub. levels pretty closely in this regard.

I could change it to include either bows or longsword/rapier, however if you look at the dwarf fighter substitution levels, their axe focus grants a similar +1 bonus to the throwing axe, handaxe, battleaxe, dwarven waraxe, axehead of the dwarven urgosh, greataxe and potentially some of the axe weapons from Races of Stone. That's 6 weapons, I think a base of 4 weapons for the elf isn't so overpowered in respect.

For the second level, I figured a +2 dodge bonus when wielding either the longsword or rapier was pretty limiting in itself, considering it's only against a single opponent and you have to be wielding a longsword or rapier, so I added the +1 reflex bonus to saves. It's slightly stronger than a feat, but I think that's okay since they're going to take another hit to hit points. It also doesn't apply all of the time, as the normal dodge feat does, since they have to have their weapon drawn and ready as well as not being denied their dexterity bonus to AC.

I think I might add the restrictions that the bonus only applies when in light or no armor and give the same stipulation for precise strike.

For the tenth level, I had actually had it originally at 8th, but I thought that might be too soon, since to get it from duelist you need to be 11th level at the least. I can still drop it back down to eight where I had it originally.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I'd argue against the "light or no armor" thingy. If you wanted to play that kind of Elf, Ranger and Barbarian and Scout and Rogue (etc.) are all sitting there, waiting for you to pick them. Fighters should at least have the option of heavy armor, IMHO. (That goes for Paladins too.)

-- N

Felnar

First Post
why would a "frail" race want to lower its hitpoints even further in order to gain melee bonuses?

*EDIT* i'm not sure where i was going with this earlier, probly just ramblings...
i'll repost if i figure it out

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Felnar said:
why would a "frail" race want to lower its hitpoints even further in order to gain melee bonuses?

Well, I based them on the half-elf fighter who has a lower HD. Since they have a high dexterity, I figured they would go more of the more mobile melee fighter. Thus the d8, Tumble and Balance as class skills.

What were those other three points about specifically?

Remove ads