The Weekly Racial Substitution Level Thread

Bront

The man with the probe
Frukathka said:
ORC BARBARIANLevel 2: BAB +2, FS +3, RS +0, WS +0, Divine Fury of Gruumsh, Swift as the Wind
Level 5: BAB +5, FS +4, RS +1, WS +1, Elf Slayer
Level 14: BAB +14/+9/+4, FS +9, RS, +4, WS +4, Greater Divine Fury of Gruumsh
Swift as the Wind (Su): An orc barbarian that takes the second level racial substitution level becomes faster than the average orc barbarian. The character’s base speed increases by ten feet. If the character takes the fifth level orc barbarian racial substitution level her speed increases by ten and by ten again if she takes the eleventh level orc barbarian racial substitution level.
Hilighted slight problem. Probably a conversion typo of some kind.

Ferrix

Explorer
That's quite the powerful set of racial substitution levels. Look at some of the existing racial substitution levels for a bit of relative balancing.

For example: The 5th level ability grants a +4 bonus to hit and damage against all elves. The dwarf fighters 2nd level ability grants a +2 bonus to only damage against orcs, goblinoids and giants. Why not just at 5th level grant Favored Enemy: Humanoid (elf) +2, that seems more inline with the flavor of a replacement ability.

The Divine Fury abilities don't really seem to have a proper place, it seems quite powerful but without a specific flavor or focus in mind other than dealing massive damage. Overcoming any type of damage reduction is a bit much for a second level ability. The 8th level planar substitution level for a fighter allows the fighter to use a standard action to align his weapon to a single alignment based damage reduction.

Swift as the Wind is an exceptionally powerful replacement for Trapsense, a relatively weak ability as is. An example of a replacement for Trapsense is the Changeling rogues Minor Lore ability, which grants a +1 bonus on all knowledge checks, increasing every 3 levels as trapsense would.

For Orc Barbarian substitution levels, I'd look at the Half-Orc Barbarian substitution levels and go with something similar.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Ferrix, correct me if I am wrong, but you are quoting the Palanr Handbook and the Eberron Campaign Setting, right? If so, than there is no way, I can compare the abilities, as they are not on my list of books owned.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Well, the Races books are useful for this sort of thing. :uhoh: But so is this thread! I like reading this.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
The Changeling thing is from Races of Eberron.

For the Avariel Cleric, she's giving up her spellcasting progression, right? And are Avariel very Clericy? I don't know what there preferred class is, so I was just wondering why that and not like Fighter or something.

Ferrix

Explorer
With your own thread up Frukathka, would you mind moving your two racial substitution examples over to that thread and remove them from this one?

No offense, just a bit OCD.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the abilities granted by these class be on par with the abilities which are being given up, or perhaps a little bit buffer because it's limited to a single race? For example, the +1 bonus on attack rolls with the following weapons: longsword, rapier, longbow, composite longbow, shortbow and composite shortbow is better than the single feat the fighter would normally get, but it isn't overpowering.

I know everyone's apparently pointing this out, but Divine Fury of Gruumsh, Swift as the Wind seems quite powerful compared to the Uncanny Dodge ability they would normally get. I have no idea what else it should be nor am I very good at this. I've thought about making more of these for different races, but haven't gotten around to it.

I would like to see Human racial class substitutions as well. Why, cause they could be nifty.

Remove ads