• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Whisperers in Darkness

(Erekose13--sorry, I'm blanking on your character's name right now--if you want to tag along with the group from this point out, this is a good opportunity. Do you have any ideas in mind why you would jump in?)

Erekose13

Explorer
Seeing the others turn to leave the man alone at Addie's request, Jor pipes in, "Sorry to intrude, Addie had asked me to come. She said there might be something of interest here. I admit that I am curious by yourselves and this man here. I am Jorenna Lorren, investigator by trade. If you'd have me I'd like to help, mysteries like this one are so intriguing."

ooc: yup absolutely, I'll tag along from here.

jkason

First Post
Galec Setou

"Lucky thing we happened along, then," Galec says. To the newcomer he adds, "An investigator would be most welcome, Miss Lorren, as we're quite baffled ourselves about what manner of monstrosity attacked this man."

When everyone's gathered their gear and agreed, Galec heads out with them to the stone circle.

Erekose13

Explorer
"Excellent. I'd like the opportunity later to see the scene of where you say something attacked this man, but for now I agree that following the lead that he has provided will prove most enlightening I believe." replies Jor.

MadMaxim

First Post
Alastor - Human Warmage

Alastor looks at the newcomer: "Greetings, Jorenna. Alastor, spell-slinger for hire. I'm pleased to meet you. Well, I believe we were about to head out to investigate this."

The standing stones are on the very edge of town, obscured by thick trees, who's leaves are brilliant orange, red and yellow. A cool wind sighs through them, covering any sound from the village behind you. The sky has darkened and cooled, as if more rain were imminent.

The stones themselves are foreign, and somewhat disturbing. They are jet black, and cold to the touch. There is a strange sense around them, as if they were somehow watching and listening to you as you enter the circle. You each have a strong urge to whisper and keep hidden (You don't have to actually do so, but you have a strong feeling to do so whether you choose to or not). They have strange, worn carvings on them that are vaguely disturbing, although they are so worn that it's very difficult to discern exactly what they are supposed to represent.

Even to untrained eyes, the site looks disturbed. The grass and ground are heavily trampled and rutted, and many of the trees and shrubs in the area are torn and broken. There is a miasmic smell that makes you each feel nausous (I may need Fort saves to resist affects--you can go ahead and make them now, if you like, even if it doesn't come up after all). The smell is strongest around areas that seem smeared in an otherworldly blue slime.

Also, crudely written on each of the stones themselves in a dark, myterious drying fluid (Survival check might identify--I know we lost the ranger and the druid, but does anyone else have any ranks?) is the following script, in runes that none of you recognize.

attachment.php

Attachments

• runes.jpg
    runes.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 156

jkason

First Post
Galec Setou

Rolls:[sblock] Lousy Fort save: 3+3=6

I don't have Survival, but I'm wondering if Knowledge (religion) might be useful in getting a bead on what the stones might be for / what might have been done here given the level and kind of disturbance. I rolled it, but feel free to disregard if it's not relevant: 16+2=18[/sblock]

Galec wanders the circle, taking in the sights, his sensitive shifter nose curling up at the stench. He studies the worn carvings and the newer runes, hoping to find something more familiar than the presence of yet more slime.

"Looks like our culprit either came from here, to here, or has another slimy companion about," he says during his circuit, his voice sounding entirely too loud to him. He winces at how ... abrasive it suddenly seems.

Galec:[sblock]Galec, you are now Nauseated: Experiencing stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn. This condition will last as long as you are in the stone circle. If you leave, recover and re-enter (after at least a few rounds of recovering) you can make another save attempt to try and block the effects of the stench. As long as we're just standing around investigating, it won't make too much different, although it gives you a chance to do some roleplaying. :)

Your knowledge (religion) check jogs something in the back of your head that you saw in an old codex once during your early studies in the mysteries of your god. The script looks similar to some text in an ancient language of Xoriat, the Hell from which all kinds of nightmarish creatures spring.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Galec Setou

Galec's eyes suddenly go wide. He puts one hand over his mouth, his stomach convulsing, and runs out of the circle. He falls to his knees, breathing deep the fresher air outside the stones. As his stomach settles, his mind hits on a memory.

"I thought it looked familiar," he mutters, then calls out to his companions. "The script. I can't read it, but I think I know where it comes from. It very much resembles the language from a monster-hell called Xoriat. If someone's conjured beasts from there ..." he shudders, though it's unclear if this is from the lingering effects of the stench or the thought of Xoriat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads