• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Theandric Saga OOC

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Yair said:
The TL description of the House is extensive, and I can’t go into that much detail. Before going on on specific notes regarding your characters, though, I’d like to give you a brief idea on (my impression of) the House.
Is TL worth buying as a player? I believe Atlas is selling it as a PDF at RPGNow. As for the rest of the background stuff, that all sounds fine, and as I cobble together my background tonight and tomorrow, I'll keep it in mind.[sblock]
Yair said:
That’s fine; remember that you were partly trained in Transylvania, though.
No beef. I'm fine with that.
Yair said:
Fine, but if you have any ideas – feel free to share.
Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what an appropriate ability would be; the description on 44 is woefully inadequate, and the virtue came with the template. Let me think on it.
Yair said:
Both these flaws will make the magus suboptimal in the battlefield or politics, so would be seen as a source of embarrassment. The first especially should be carefully hidden.
The weak magic resistance again came from the template. I'd be happy to swap either of them out, and that might be best, judging by how you've described Tremere. As a matter of fact, if he's to be an architect/engineer, compulsion (perfection) might be a better match — Octavian's overly concerned with making sure his siegeworks and what not work exactly as they ought to work. As far as a condition for the weak magic resistance, I think I'd say that if he can't see his foe, Octavian has a hard time focusing on his magic resistance (it's the sample in the book, but it's solid enough for me).
Yair said:
I have not considered Daria to be so powerful as to require this virtue, but she is powerful both politically and magically so I can certainly fit it in if you want.
That would be cool if you could.
Yair said:
This is a good selection of Abilities for a Tremere, except that it lacks physical skills Tremere consider required. Tremere are expected to be able to fend for themselves on a Wizard’s March or long treks and to be able to defend themselves physically with some level of competence. Survival, Swim, Athletics (hiking), Brawl, and of course Profession: Soldier are some skills you might wish to consider.
Let's drop Guile 2 for Engineer (military fortifications and siegeworks) 2. Although I see him as a politician, I don't see him as being too dishonest, so that should work out fairly well.
Yair said:
Given your interest in Terram, and aptitude with all elemental Arts, it may have been decided that you will be an Architect, a combat engineer (erecting bridges, toppling or raising walls, and otherwise changing the terrain of battle). The role easily extends itself to control of the other four elements (winds and water particularly), so your aptitude for it is keen.
Your assignment in Teneo may have been motivated by a desire to deepen your connections with a fellow non-House architect - Titus.
I really like this idea, and it'll give me a chance to fine tune a personality for him. Thanks, Yair.[/sblock]As for Erich...[sblock]
Yair said:
I don’t really understand this combination, but as long as you do that’s fine.
I think it might work better as being listed as Strong (flexible morals/ethics) -3, as that seems to more aim at willpower and consistency, when Erich is more interested in expediency and convenience.
Yair said:
Fenghled is not in Pomerania, being quite some distance to the sough-west (you can check out the Rhine map at the Guardians of the Forest webpage on Atlas’ site), but otherwise everything’s fine.
Cool, I had no idea there was a map. I'll look at that now.[/sblock]
Yair said:
As Tremere, you each also learned a Certamen style. I’ll think which is appropriate for each master, and explain this style to you.
There are also a few new spells and V&F; nothing essential.
As young Tremere magi, you are allowed one item from the following list at any one time...
I think, running with the idea of architecture and engineering, Octavian would love to have a skilled laborer with him (maybe some form of civil engineer, whatever that might be in a medieval milieu.

I think this might be the most complex post I've made, as far as layered quotes and spoiler blocks. Hopefully it'll end up being clean...

Nick

Yair

Community Supporter
Kajamba Lion said:
Is TL worth buying as a player? I believe Atlas is selling it as a PDF at RPGNow.
I'm not sure. If we were a tabletop group I'd certainly recommend just browing my book, as it is...
TL has some extensive fluff regarding the House, but I'm not sure how much of it we can put into the game (having 2/5 Temere players helps). I'm not even sure how interestng you would find it. It will give you sample ghosts/animals/spirits you can work with, a few additional spells, and more information on the House, its history, and traditions.
Beyond that, the Bonisagus section contains rules for making Discoveries that break/bend existing rules, the Guernicus section has some solid information on Hermetic law and some nasty, quirky, rituals and spells, and the Mercere section has some options for Mercurian magic (which I'm not certain I like). I haven't read the whole thing yet, this is what I've got so far.
I'm generally always supportive of peple buying ArM products as it helps the line, but to be honest - I don't know if that's worth 15$+printing to you.

And now I'll move to more specific concerns...
[sblock]
Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what an appropriate ability would be; the description on 44 is woefully inadequate, and the virtue came with the template. Let me think on it.
There is no need to decide now, if you want you can leave it open.
The weak magic resistance again came from the template. I'd be happy to swap either of them out, and that might be best, judging by how you've described Tremere. As a matter of fact, if he's to be an architect/engineer, compulsion (perfection) might be a better match — Octavian's overly concerned with making sure his siegeworks and what not work exactly as they ought to work. As far as a condition for the weak magic resistance, I think I'd say that if he can't see his foe, Octavian has a hard time focusing on his magic resistance (it's the sample in the book, but it's solid enough for me).
Cool.
Let's drop Guile 2 for Engineer (military fortifications and siegeworks) 2. Although I see him as a politician, I don't see him as being too dishonest, so that should work out fairly well.
That's fine, but isn't really a physical skill... ;)
I really like this idea, and it'll give me a chance to fine tune a personality for him. Thanks, Yair.
:)
I think it might work better as being listed as Strong (flexible morals/ethics) -3, as that seems to more aim at willpower and consistency, when Erich is more interested in expediency and convenience.
Alright.
I think, running with the idea of architecture and engineering, Octavian would love to have a skilled laborer with him (maybe some form of civil engineer, whatever that might be in a medieval milieu.
I'm perfectly willing to grant you one, but I'm not sure what you see him doing as fun in-game.
I think this might be the most complex post I've made, as far as layered quotes and spoiler blocks. Hopefully it'll end up being clean...
Yeah, these things are a nightmare. :D
Yair[/sblock]

Sphynx

First Post
Dylan
[sblock]Hmmm, I have to admit, not having this TL book, I had -no- idea that Tremere were military minded at all. The core book only says they thrive on strategy. If Tremere in the game are intended to be military, than rather than change the whole character, I think I'll need to change the House, as I have no intentions of playing a military type character at all.

As for the Flight of the Magus, 'fast speed' (the Base of the spell) is about 40 MPH (if using the old 4th Ed is the basis where Flight there was 40 MPH). If we reduce the base by 1 magnitude (thus allowing us to not change the level of the spell), that should fit the speed written in the spell itself (human running speed), thereby making the cost appropriate.

Going through your list of 'possibles', the only Magus who seems a possible paren for the character is Hassan (unless you see something I'm missing). Even he seems a bit, wrong for the character.

I was thinking that maybe a Merinita might be a good option for the character, though we'd have to develop the background some since there are none in the options at all. I could then replace the Hermetic Prestige with Faerie Blood, and the Affinity for Carteman with Faerie Magic of course.

Anyways, sounds like we have alot of work to do on this character... :p[/sblock]

WolfBoy
[sblock]I wasn't aware there was some sort of WolfBoy in the game already, I have no problem with completely re-writing this character at all.

If you would like that I keep him, any adaptions you feel are appropriate, I'm completely ok with, even to the point of a complete re-write. All I wanted really was a super-super-perceptive character (Perception 5), and I included the various 'Supernatural' Abilities that were Perception oriented. So, even though they're all a 1, I get a total of +6 on the rolls already.

The White Wolf/House Tremere stuff all sounds good to me if you like the character. Again, I don't mind re-writing him at all.[/sblock]

Nzld

First Post
Sphynx said:
As for the Flight of the Magus, 'fast speed' (the Base of the spell) is about 40 MPH (if using the old 4th Ed is the basis where Flight there was 40 MPH). If we reduce the base by 1 magnitude (thus allowing us to not change the level of the spell), that should fit the speed written in the spell itself (human running speed), thereby making the cost appropriate.
Well, you can't draw upon 4th Ed. guidelines for creating 5th Ed. spells because there are significant changes in the guidelines between the two editions. However, in 5th Ed., under the Rego Corpus guidelines, base 15 is required to move a person quickly in any direction... whereas base 5 is required to move a person slowly in any direction. This leaves ambiguity as to what slow and quick means, and also leaves a gap at base 10.

My opinion is that the intent of the guidelines is that effective flight is intended to require base 15, whereas lesser flight like levitation, etc. is meant to require base 5. I also feel that a running man, whether on the ground or in the air, is moving "quickly", and meets the requirement for base 15.

Yair can certainly rule that base 15 grants "super flight" at 40 MPH (although I am not sure where you are getting this guideline in 4th Ed., unless it is in the Grimoire... I didn't find it in the core rules), and allow you to take "lesser flight" at base 10, but he needs to consider the future impact this may have down the road, as most flight spells will now only be level 15, instead of level 20.

Last edited:

Sphynx

First Post
My only question becomes, (since I can't afford to raise the Magnitude of the spell), what speed I'd get at a Base 10. My Magic Theory, etc isn't high enough (and would require a complete character re-struct) to start at Base 15, and Base 4 is too slow I think. Doesn't have to be 'sprinting' speed, just running speed.

Sphynx

Nzld

First Post
Sphynx said:
My only question becomes, (since I can't afford to raise the Magnitude of the spell), what speed I'd get at a Base 10. My Magic Theory, etc isn't high enough (and would require a complete character re-struct) to start at Base 15, and Base 4 is too slow I think. Doesn't have to be 'sprinting' speed, just running speed.

Sphynx
The problem is there isn't necessarily a middle ground... base 5 is slow, base 15 is quick... that doesn't mean that base 10 grants a middle ground. The problem you are having is that you want to incorporate a non-standard Duration and are seeking to make the guidelines fit that need, rather than make the spell fit the guidelines. W ithout that non-standard Duration, level 20 is the appropriate level for a flight spell.

My suggestion would be to drop the non-standard Duration and then invent a new version of the spell at a later time to incorporate it, if it is still desired.

Sphynx

First Post
Nzld said:
The problem is there isn't necessarily a middle ground... base 5 is slow, base 15 is quick... that doesn't mean that base 10 grants a middle ground.

I disagree, the book offers 'Guidelines', not complete limitations. If 4 is slow (and it is 4, not 5), and 15 is quick, then both 5 and 10 should be workable for something in-between. Just because the 'Guidelines' are missing speeds for those Bases, doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. Because they are only Guidelines, the spell list can include such spells as "Gift of the Frog Legs" with a base of 10, despite there not being anything in the Guidelines to give allowances for it.

However, if Yair would like that I limit the character to the Guidelines, I will of course remove the unique adendum to the spell without hesitation. I just find it hard to believe that anyone would argue thatt here's no middle ground in guidelines such as this.

Sphynx

Nzld

First Post
Sphynx said:
I just find it hard to believe that anyone would argue thatt here's no middle ground in guidelines such as this.
I didn't say that there is no middle ground, I said that there isn't necessarily a middle ground. The guidelines provided - though only guidelines - do represent the intended minimum levels required for an effect, based on how the spells in the book are created. The level of effect necessary to move quickly in any direction is base 15. You are introducing an arbitrary argument by saying you aren't moving quickly, but that you aren't moving slowly, either. In 5th Edition, it doesn't say base 15 to move at 40 MPH and base 10 to move less at a lesser speed... it says base 15 to move quickly, period.

When you initially designed the spell you obviously felt that base 15 was the appropriate guideline... you only seek a lesser one now in order to keep the non-standard Duration without having to raise the spell level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads