These are not stories!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonrog1

First Post
Why am I ticked off?

It's not that you criticized the stories. It's that you treated the writers like fifth graders in need of correction regarding their "What I Did Last Summer " essay, and you were the benevolent teacher just trying to bring the best out in them. "Oh, such simple rules. Just a few steps to improvement. Oh, if only you understand narrative structure as I do ..."

I write for a living. I rarely bring this up, but the amount of money I get paid to write for a living is not inconsiderable. I don't know if I have talent, but people I consider talented like my stuff, so I'll at least say I'm in the ballpark.

I would never, NEVER take the tone you took with my fellow writers on this board.

The more rational voices here have kept us from a flame war. But as (I assume) the only professional writer on these boards, I'll do the dirty work. You, papa_laz, are neither as knowledgeable nor insightful as you would like to think you are.

These. Are. Stories.

I'm not going to try to convince you. I'm not going to try to win you over. I'm not going to be reasonable. I don't care if this was only a troll. I'm grabbing you by the intellectual lapels and saying very quietly-- being careful to make sure my spittle lands directly on your trembling corneas-- that ...

... These. Are. Stories.

They're not constructed the way you prefer, but many tell tales of interesting characters doing interesting things. That's a story. Period.

The rather odd structure is a product of the continuing narrative style of a campaign; the variant world-structures often need a quick explanation to avoid whackloads of boring exposition during the tale. You may be correct -- that structure recurs quite frequently, and isn't exactly lemony-fresh.

But no matter how, where or when you choose to begin the narrative, I can find an example from classical literature, film, or my bastard beloved medium television which begins in exactly the same way.

One could even argue that the "opening credits" of television shows are their world-establishing prologues ... "Ahh, there's the blonde girl, she hunts, well I guess vampires, and those are her friends -- wait, he's a vampire, his head went all bumpy, I guess he works with them though ... and there's the gang of them walking together. Okay, start today's story." Annnnd out.

Never mind Apocalypse Now, where they actually march Martin Sheen into the office, tell him what he's going to do for the rest of the movie, and then send him off to do ... exactly that.

Not a story, that? Not a tale well told, that?

The only thing I hate worse than condescending pseudo-intellectuals are condescending pseudo-intellectuals who haven't properly thought out their theses.

I rarely grow angry when reading board posts, but I need to say this: there is nothing harder to do than write. NOTHING. Directing, you have a script to work from, Acting, you have the script as a guideline. Any writer, anyone who offers up their imagination, who takes the leap of faith to forge images and characters in our minds through nothing but cunning combinations of simple words well chosen, that person demands respect.

Some of the writers on these boards are very, very bad. Some of them are very, very good. Some of them make me very glad they're not competing for the same jobs I am.

All of them, from the simple act of actually heaving words and ideas around and slapping them down for others to see, have more of a right to their opinions on how writing works than you do.

I leave you with the secret motto of every writer on the planet:

Type or shut up.

No pseudonyms,

John Rogers

Blood Jester

First Post
All I have to say is, every time I try a new story hour that someone recommends, my number one complaint is...

THEY DON'T POST QUICKLY ENOUGH!!!

They DRAW me in, get me HOOKED, and then I have to WAIT!!!

I've read a huge amount in my life, and I respect the writers here so, to them...

Thank you for you efforts.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
jonrog1 said:
...who takes the leap of faith to forge images and characters in our minds through nothing but cunning combinations of simple words well chosen

Wa-hey, there's some now!

Nice. Are those yours? They have a Steven King "On Writing" feel to them. I hope you take that as the huge compliment it's meant to be!

Wulf

jonrog1

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:

Nice. Are those yours? They have a Steven King "On Writing" feel to them. I hope you take that as the huge compliment it's meant to be!

Yes, mine, for what they're worth -- I'm Irish, and in my folk, annoyance breeds eloquence.

Now, get back to your Story Hour!

Metus

First Post
Bah. I'm getting such troll vibes from this post that it threatens to overwhelm me. I think papa laz was bored one day and went fishing for responses the hard way. I'm surprised anyone even responded to this post. I have to care before I can be bothered, and all I have towards this is apathy.

Which brings me to my main reason for posting. I enjoy all the story hours I read immensely, and am always appreciative of the fact that Wulf, Nemm, Sagiro, Sep and all the others take the time to write the adventures of their groups. But I think I've already said that before. ;)

Snoweel

First Post
Existence said:
Hmmm...it's interesting really. The only post that hasn't gone completely nuts at this Newbie's comments was made by an Aussie. Just a thought.

Once you've spent enough time on here, you'll realise that yanks take themselves a bit more seriously than we do.

It's a cultural thing.

Malachai_rose

First Post

Can you hear it ? The small voice crying out from the sea of incensed and angered authors...

It's this thread, it's crying out to Piratecat to put it down... No more posts from me (at least on this thread :D). Lets all shift our attentiom from the flame bait of Papa Luz and back to the *large* number of well written stories in the forum.

Anyways I realize people are mad, and rightly so, but I think we all can agree that Papa Luz was misguided and ill informed in his initial post. So lets all just move along <best police officer voice> nothing to see here.

May seem kinda funny me posting asking people to stop posting but I don't like to think myself in a circle pondering stuff like that to often ;) It tends to make my gray matter sore the next day, heh. So my spurious logic aside why don't we do what needs to be done. Let this post die like a mentally handicapped death row inmate in Texas (I live in Texas ;) I can joke about it, lol).

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Snoweel said:
Once you've spent enough time on here, you'll realise that yanks take themselves a bit more seriously than we do.

It's a cultural thing.

You fail to account for the vast numbers of yanks who read the post, summed it up as a troll, and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

From a purely statistical standpoint, the evidence is clear that aussies are more prone to fall for trolling and flame-bait.

Wizardry

First Post
jonrog1 said:

I rarely grow angry when reading board posts, but I need to say this: there is nothing harder to do than write. NOTHING. Directing, you have a script to work from, Acting, you have the script as a guideline. Any writer, anyone who offers up their imagination, who takes the leap of faith to forge images and characters in our minds through nothing but cunning combinations of simple words well chosen, that person demands respect.

No, really, it's the actors who have the toughest job and deserve the most respect. Do you realize there is nothing harder than getting out in front of a huge audience and doing your damn best just to impress them, and having them laugh in your face?

But wait, now that I think about it, maybe it's directing that is the toughest job of all. You have to constantly manage the actors, the filming, and so on, and if you don't get it right, everyone rags on you for doing a bad job. That must be the hardest.

And so on. Look, I respect that you really love your profession, and I can see you take it seriously, but claiming that there is nothing in the world harder than doing what you do is not very accurate and a bit self martyring. I know plenty of people who would do almost anything to be able to write for a living. Living off of your imagination and writing skills is a helluva lot easier than, say, digging ditches, for an extreme example. Everyones job is tough in their own way. No offense intended, of course.

Regardless, and back on topic... I really disagree with the original posters statement. I find plenty of stories on this board are great work, and a few of them are better than most professional work I've seen. The format makes for a few defiencies in some areas, but it also gives a few bonuses. These stories are some of the only ones I've read, for example, that have a distinct chance of the main character dying off. Unpredictability is fun in it's own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads