• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

They're back: Return of the Slivers. [Updated 24/8-2005: Beware the Overlord!]

Krishnath

First Post
Wolf72 said:
toughness stacks ... as in 4 plated slivers could share up to +12 hp? ... that's pretty cool. ...and they themselves would benefit from the other plated slivers too.
Yes. It is in the PHB, Toughness is one of the few feats that stacks with itself. Mostly because all it does is add 3 hp... Of course, the designers didn't think of slivers, did they? :]

Wolf72

Explorer
cool I remember playing magic when slivers first came out, my favorites where the muscle slivers (I did single color decks, wasn't very good ... but had fun) ... my next favorites were the armor slivers (if I did two colors it was white/green)

If they were OGL would it possible to use the different toughness feats from MotW (dwarf's +6, giant's +9, dragon's +12 ... the fort req's were pretty steep though) ?

Knight Otu

First Post
How many 5 ft. cubes in a 60 ft. radius sphere? About 7240. Take half that to allow for maneuvering and bigger slivers - 3620. The center one needs to be a winged sliver. At one point on the "shell", put a sliver with a non-stacking ability. The same type goes to the opposite, mirrored, so to say. Again the same type at 90° of the others, making six slivers in the "shell," at equal distances to their neighbor. Arrange the remaining 2613 slivers about equally within the sphere, choosing from slivers with stacking abilities.

Apocalypse.

Krishnath

First Post
Wolf72 said:
cool I remember playing magic when slivers first came out, my favorites where the muscle slivers (I did single color decks, wasn't very good ... but had fun) ... my next favorites were the armor slivers (if I did two colors it was white/green)

If they were OGL would it possible to use the different toughness feats from MotW (dwarf's +6, giant's +9, dragon's +12 ... the fort req's were pretty steep though) ?
Technically it would be possible to create a type of sliver that grants such an ability. But since those feats are not OGL there ain't a chance in Hades that I will do one.

Knight Otu said:
How many 5 ft. cubes in a 60 ft. radius sphere? About 7240. Take half that to allow for maneuvering and bigger slivers - 3620. The center one needs to be a winged sliver. At one point on the "shell", put a sliver with a non-stacking ability. The same type goes to the opposite, mirrored, so to say. Again the same type at 90° of the others, making six slivers in the "shell," at equal distances to their neighbor. Arrange the remaining 2613 slivers about equally within the sphere, choosing from slivers with stacking abilities.

Apocalypse.

Roofles!

And now perhaps people will understand why a swarm of slivers are an epic challenge... :]

Knight Otu

First Post
Krishnath said:
Roofles!

And now perhaps people will understand why a swarm of slivers are an epic challenge... :]
Now just to decide whom to put where...
As far as I can see, Muscle, Plated and Quick slivers grant stacking abilities. I'm assuming the clot sliver's fast healing doesn't stack, so they may work as the six "shell units," though the numbers make that seem... unnecessary.

3 slivers with stacking abilities means 871 of each of the three types. Meaning up to 2613 bonus hp from toughness feats, and up to 871 bonus hit points from an improved Con score. Meaning about 3000 to 3500 bonus hit points per sliver.
Don't count on Reflex or Fortitude-based effects to bring these guys down. Will saves are more likely to fail.
To defeat this armada, it is important to break up the formation. The heart of the formation is the winged sliver. Taking it down will force the slivers to break down the formation, into a number of landbound formations of up to 452 slivers (about six groups, so they'll form around the "shell units"), potentially after a deep fall. Of course, all that propably will only delay the inevitable...

Wolf72

Explorer
ahem ... I hope you plan on including some random sliver tables!!!

... maybe an A, B, C set of tables ... your epic slivers would probably be placed instead of randomly rolled.

[edit: you're, your, yore ... whatever!!!]

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Now just to decide whom to put where...
As far as I can see, Muscle, Plated and Quick slivers grant stacking abilities. I'm assuming the clot sliver's fast healing doesn't stack, so they may work as the six "shell units," though the numbers make that seem... unnecessary.

3 slivers with stacking abilities means 871 of each of the three types. Meaning up to 2613 bonus hp from toughness feats, and up to 871 bonus hit points from an improved Con score. Meaning about 3000 to 3500 bonus hit points per sliver.
Don't count on Reflex or Fortitude-based effects to bring these guys down. Will saves are more likely to fail.
To defeat this armada, it is important to break up the formation. The heart of the formation is the winged sliver. Taking it down will force the slivers to break down the formation, into a number of landbound formations of up to 452 slivers (about six groups, so they'll form around the "shell units"), potentially after a deep fall. Of course, all that propably will only delay the inevitable...
You need to read the intoroduction again, and I quote:

Introduction to slivers said:
Shared Abilities: All slivers, with only a few exceptions grant extraordinary or supernatural abilities to all other slivers within a 60’ radius of themselves. The shared ability is not granted to the sliver that grants it, although most slivers allready have the granted ability, or a better version thereof. The granted abilities stack unless noted othervise

So, it stacks, in general, if it is not a non-stacking feat, it stacks. :]

Wolf72 said:
ahem ... I hope you plan on including some random sliver tables!!!

... maybe an A, B, C set of tables ... you're epic slivers would probably be placed instead of randomly rolled.

No random sliver tables, but I probably will post what an average hive consists of. Also, there are only two truely epic slivers (the queen and the overlord).

Remove ads