• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E things I changed for my game

tuxedoraptor

First Post
I am running a game for two people and have added or removed a few features, what are your thoughts?

1. No feats allowed, variant humans instead get +2 +2, these may not be stacked, but may be split up

2. rogue subclasses were changed:

thief: second story work: gives a flat out climb speed in urban areas and advantage on acrobatics checks to climb

Eldritch knight: The spellcasting just felt wonky to me, I changed nothing but the word evocation is replaced with transmutation. To me, that makes more sense.

Elements monk: Gets sixth level wizard casting using wisdom modifier, but can only cast evocation spells

general features:
Protection and dueling are combined into a skirmisher style

two weapon fighting can be taken twice by the champion to gain the respective feat

archery can also be taken twice to gain the crossbow feat

great weapon master is now part of great weapon fighting, but now can only be used every other turn or the user takes one level of exaustion due to the strain placed on their body.
Short rests=1 day

Long rests=1 week

Quick rests are eight hours of setting up a campsite and function similiarly to a short rest. When preforming a quick rest, you get all features back as if it was a short rest. If a party member is trained in wisdom medicine, they can make a medicine check, the result is the number of hit points they can restore, split amongst the party. A healers kit gives advantage.

In my universe, using the pathfinder deities in my homebrew setting, being a player character doesn't make you any better than a normal person, as you can pull off extrordinary feats, but your body is the same as anyone elses; you may be stronger or wiser than the normal person, but you still risk disease and tearing muscles

Last edited:

tuxedoraptor

First Post
[MENTION=6811643]Krachek[/MENTION] the amount of situational things required to sneak attack mean its already handicapped enough, any more aside from the saving throw would be too weak
[MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION] my two players are a warlock and a war cleric, so I have no idea but if we do have a rogue or an EK we will see. I had a moment of insanity and considered giving the assassin TWF at some point but scrapped the idea, rogues are doing way more than enough damage.

Unwise

Adventurer
Most of it seems OK, if unnecessary, but the resting bit just seems really broken.

I'm puzzled about the not regaining features other than spells on a short rest. So a Fighter can't get back their Combat Superiority, or a Monk their Ki, but a wizard can get back his spells?
The former are designed to come back quickly, the latter are not. Yet this is the opposite of that, the Wizard can cast Fireball a few times a day, while the Fighter can parry a few times a week? Doesn't that seem broken to you? Would anybody play a monk if you could only use 4 Ki Points a week?

Why on earth would your player play a Warlock? They have terrible spell casting compared to a wizard when the later can get their spells back on a short rest, and gain heaps more back than the Warlock who is designed to do that. The poor warlock is getting to cast one spell a day, why would they play that?

ProphetSword

Explorer
How many of these changes are based on actual play experience, and not just how it looks to you on paper without context?

This is exactly what I was going to ask. Some people seem to have a knee-jerk reaction to how 5th Edition reads versus how it plays. Most of us have played it enough to know it works, but when you come from other games (Pathfinder, for example), some people tend to not see the forest for the trees right away. 5th Edition plays much, much better than it reads on paper. I always advise that people play it before making any changes.

Short rests=1 day

Long rests=1 week

Quick rests are eight hours of setting up a campsite and function similiarly to a short rest, you do not regain features other than spells when preforming a quick rest, you get half your spells back, rounded down. If a party member is trained in wisdom medicine, they can make a medicine check, the result is the number of hit points they can restore, split amongst the party. A healers kit gives advantage.

Wow. Brutal.

I dont see the need for this. Why not simply have a short rest = 8 hours, and a long rest = 1 week?

Remove ads