• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E things I changed for my game

Unwise

Adventurer
Or why not just say "you all have to play rogues"? As far as I recall they lose nothing from the resting mechanic. You would want to play an archer though, as getting hit is a big no no in that game. Every martial class loses their active abilities and casters lose half their spells. The poor warlock has it the worst though I think. A monk without Ki is a close second though.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
[MENTION=6811643]Krachek[/MENTION] the amount of situational things required to sneak attack mean its already handicapped enough, any more aside from the saving throw would be too weak

[MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION] my two players are a warlock and a war cleric, so I have no idea but if we do have a rogue or an EK we will see. I had a moment of insanity and considered giving the assassin TWF at some point but scrapped the idea, rogues are doing way more than enough damage.
Interesting, I think I'd pick the assassin myself. A nice boost and no rest-related abilities. But the main thing is if your group is having fun you must be doing it right.

Changing replacing eldritch knights' spell choices with transmutation in place of evocation seems fine but completely arbitrary. Like, now your eldritch knights can't do any blasting but they'll probably transform (or Enlarge) themselves frequently. Is there a specific reason for this change, or is it just a flavour thing?

tuxedoraptor

First Post
Well, that bit about not regaining things was edited out, I was attempting to read my numerous edits, my mistake. The EK really doesn't need to be throwing fireballs, the flavour for the subclass hints more at them augmenting themselves to be better in battle. Turning into a t-rex is much more pratical than causing random explosions

Dausuul

Legend
1. No feats allowed, variant humans instead get +2 +2, these may not be stacked, but may be split up.
I like this. The "+1 all stats" human is kind of sad and feeble, but variant human locks you into using feats. If you want humans in your game but don't want to use feats, this is a good solution.

thief: second story work: gives a flat out climb speed in urban areas and advantage on acrobatics checks to climb
A climb speed lets you walk on the ceiling. Did you mean to allow this? What's the problem with Second-Story Work as written?

assassin: The disguise elements are garbage, I threw them all away for the features below:

First feature: you may make a wisdom medicine contest against a targets constitution save, if the target fails, they are unconcious for a number of minutes equal to your wisdom medicine modifier, you must be able to sneak attack the target, if the target takes any damage, they awaken.

Second feature: when you sneak attack a target, you make sacrifice one sneak attack die to inflict blinded,deafened,prone or frightened con saving throw negates

Third feature: as above, but for three dice, you may paralyze, stun, restrain, incapacitate or poison the target
Strongly disagree with these. The assassin's disguise options are meant to be minor perks, and you're replacing them with potent combat abilities. The assassin is already the combat powerhouse subclass for rogues. If you dislike the disguise options that much, they should be replaced with other non-combat abilities.

Eldritch knight: The spellcasting just felt wonky to me, I changed nothing but the word evocation is replaced with transmutation. To me, that makes more sense.
Seems fine, though it might be simpler to remove the restriction altogether.

Elements monk: Gets sixth level wizard casting using wisdom modifier, but can only cast evocation spells
Er... okay. What's the reason for this change?

Protection and dueling are combined into a skirmisher style
What's the goal here? I haven't noticed that the sword-and-shield fighter is in need of help in 5E.

two weapon fighting can be taken twice by the champion to gain the respective feat
This seems fine.

archery can also be taken twice to gain the crossbow feat
Likewise.

great weapon master is now part of great weapon fighting, but now can only be used every other turn or the user takes one level of exaustion due to the strain placed on their body.
Good way to balance an OP feat... but it's starting to get silly. Why bother banning feats if you're going to turn around and add half of them back in via class features? Why not just allow feats and then nerf the "problem children" (Great Weapon Mastery and Sharpshooter)?

Short rests=1 day

Long rests=1 week

Quick rests are eight hours of setting up a campsite and function similiarly to a short rest. When preforming a quick rest, you get half your spells back, rounded down. If a party member is trained in wisdom medicine, they can make a medicine check, the result is the number of hit points they can restore, split amongst the party. A healers kit gives advantage.
Seems excessively complicated, and regaining spells like this is a huge boost to the non-warlock caster classes (and a giant middle finger to the poor warlock, the one class that gets absolutely no benefit from your changes). What's wrong with "short rest = 8 hours, long rest = 1 week?"

Last edited:

tuxedoraptor

First Post
A lot of the changes came from my players originally wanting feats but not having them in my game, I added a few of the good ones back in as fighting styles and the combination of protection and dueling was more or less "why would you NOT use a shield with dueling and why would you ever take protection unless you are a champion?"

Regarding the warlock, they just get all their spells back, no matter what.

Regarding the potent combat abilities of the assassin, I redid them to being able to be used a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier, getting them back on a short rest

The reason WHY I removed the out of combat abilities and gave in combat abilities is that the subclass is titled ASSASSIN, not infiltrator, not fisherman, not knife swallower, ASSASSIN. They should be focused on combat.

No, the rogue cannot walk on ceilings, I thought that was common sense, however it wasn't.

the elements monk gets sixth level evocation only casting because its garbage otherwise.

Also I couldn't think of anything better for an assassin, they really don't do much other than kill people.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Since you are inserting "feat-like features" as proxy, why not replace the assassin infiltration feature with the benefits of the skulker feat? That feat practically screams assassin, anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads